J.J. Abrams' Star Trek Into Darkness

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought it was a hell of a lot more entertaining than pacific rim.
Story was bollox but at least it had one of sorts. And I am a Star Trek fan, and yes, Wrath is a great movie. Who cares though? This one was just going for entertainment value. It worked. It didn't **** on Wrath, and if you didn't know the original it didn't make any difference, not sure why some folk got up in arms about it?

Some people wanted to see something new, not a collection of rehashed cliches.

Story was bollox but at least it had one of sorts. And I am a Star Trek fan, and yes, Wrath is a great movie. Who cares though? This one was just going for entertainment value. It worked. It didn't **** on Wrath, and if you didn't know the original it didn't make any difference, not sure why some folk got up in arms about it?

I don't either. The movies are way too different. I think it's just a case of trying to make everyone happy, and they can't.

By being a spin on WOK it inevitably draws comparison to that film and it comes off wwwwwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyy inferior. I'm sure they won't make that mistake again though.

Just saw this again ,... Loved it

Agree with you 100%. Into Darkness is one of my favorite films of the year and I find it a great re-telling of Space Seed and WOK with a lot of nice political and social commentary thrown into boot. The ideas of justice, revenge, and militarization along with the specter of constant war with one's adversaries is so damn topical in this film its scary because of what's taking place right now in the world. Hell, it was scary when Trek was doing this kind of stuff back in its original run because of the Cold War. Look how far we've come. And Cumberbatch's Khan is the best anti-hero/villain to come along in long time. Couple that with Spock's turmoil and Kirk trying to overcome his recklessness and prove his worth and valor and IMHO you've got a great film.

Just rented this and I enjoyed this one as much as the first one! If Abrams does to Star Wars what he's done for the Trek series, then Disney is headed for another Empire in 2015! I'm hoping Paramount finds a quality replacement for the next film for the 50th anniversary of the franchise! So far, these new films has been superb IMO and I would hate to see them deteriorate in their quality with someone new changing things up.

I've shared my thoughts on it before, but there are a few plot holes. I enjoyed it much more now that I have it on Blu. Dunno why. Maybe it's because I'm not distracted by the holes anymore lol...

On subsequent viewings, I didn't have a problem with the Wrath of Khan stuff, for the most part, except for the "KHHHAAAANNN" moment...it just felt forced to me. Otherwise it makes sense that, under similar circumstances, the same people would act in the same way. I also think that the sequence where Kirk literally KICKS the machine to fix it is a little dumb. Like, come on, he couldn't have moved something? Done something a little more than kicking? It just seemed very low-brow. Same way I feel about the phasers that now have to blatantly SHOW us their setting with the rotating nozzle. Just very preschool. And despite the fact that the book does a great job of explaining how Khan rigged the transwarp transporter to get to Kronos, and why they couldn't just beam after him, it's still a little odd to me that we'd still send out tons of spaceships to "explore strange new worlds" when they could just beam there ala Stargate. I guess sometimes there's stuff they come across that you couldn't just "beam to," but it's still a stretch for me.

Overall, its great fun. Not as good as 09, and I don't think they used Cumberbatch to the fullest, just like they didn't really use Bana to the fullest in 09 (wouldn't be surprised if we see Cumberbatch again, soon).

Just rented this and I enjoyed this one as much as the first one! If Abrams does to Star Wars what he's done for the Trek series, then Disney is headed for another Empire in 2015! I'm hoping Paramount finds a quality replacement for the next film for the 50th anniversary of the franchise! So far, these new films has been superb IMO and I would hate to see them deteriorate in their quality with someone new changing things up.

Good god I hope Episode VII is a lot better than STID.

Khan being white, and looking and acting NOTHING like the original is my only flaw with this movie. Otherwise, it was my most entertaining flick of the summer.

Well Montalban was Mexican. It was a bit of an odd choice, but for me, more that he lacked any of the style or mannerisms of Montalban than skin color. He was like a completely different character, only similar in their supposed backgrounds of being genetically engineered supermen.

Khan being white, and looking and acting NOTHING like the original is my only flaw with this movie. Otherwise, it was my most entertaining flick of the summer.

That would be my biggest and only critique as well... I loved the film

I don't care if he was purple with pink polka dots.

If you spend half the movie saying how clever and evil Khan is (and even Skype Nimoy-Spock just to confirm it) and then have Robocop be the actual villain, you blew your opportunity, IMO.

Also, I hated magic Khan blood.

It was interesting to see Star Trek, known for it's rather strict adherence to Science Fiction turned essentially into Star Wars' Science Fantasy. Other than that, I thought they were taking a lot of liberties with "emotional impacts" in the film, hoping to capitalize off of the older generation. The newer generation (those who jumped on board with the reboot) must be thinking, WTF?! I don't see this as having near as much meaning to them.

LOL

It was interesting to see Star Trek, known for it's rather strict adherence to Science Fiction turned essentially into Star Wars' Science Fantasy. Other than that, I thought they were taking a lot of liberties with "emotional impacts" in the film, hoping to capitalize off of the older generation. The newer generation (those who jumped on board with the reboot) must be thinking, WTF?! I don't see this as having near as much meaning to them.
I think that was a problem. They obviously weren't catering, at all, to fans of the older TV shows and films. Yet they kept making these throwback references that the youngsters wouldn't have understood. So what was the goal there? And even when they did attempt the throwbacks, they took such extensive liberties (i.e., Khan) that they woudln't make a lot of sense to anyone. Kind of a disjointed approach IMO.

Back