It will be illegal to resell toys after february 10th 2009

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ra88

Super Freak
Reaction score
Holy ^^^^. Did anyone ever hear about this being discussed in congress?

New law restricts re-sale of kid's products

10:33 PM CST on Tuesday, January 6, 2009

By SHELTON GREEN / KVUE News

A new federal law is raising concerns and questions nationwide and here in Austin.

On February 10, 2009 it will be illegal to resale any used children's products including toys and clothing. That is according to the U.S. Consumer Protection & Safety Commission who pushed for the new laws after dozens of toys were recalled in 2008 because of lead concerns.

Toys, clothing and other items used by children under 12 will be subjected to lead testing and will have to have labels on them to prove that they have passed inspection.

What is raising the ire of parents and business owners far and wide is what this will mean to clothing, toys and other children products made before February 10, 2009.

Gary Walthall, the owner of Once upon a Child, a resale shop specializing in children's clothing and other items, is afraid that he'll have to close up shop.

Adding to the confusion and frustration is the fact that the U.S. Consumer Products and Safety Commission is not returning calls or e-mails to the countless re-salers and even journalists who have tried in vain to get clarification on what the law means to garage sales and how it will be enforced.

https://https://www.kvue.com/news/top/stories/010609kvue-kids_lead-me.466a87af.html

All of you who collect old toys: Get ready to be considered a criminal.

That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard... basically sounds like toy and clothing manufacturers are trying to squeeze out the used market.

What this will really hurt are low-income families. Pretty jacked-up IMO.

Although for us I imagine it won't extend to the collectible market... as it seems more geared towards items children will use.

That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard... basically sounds like toy and clothing manufacturers are trying to squeeze out the used market.

What this will really hurt are low-income families. Pretty jacked-up IMO.

Although for us I imagine it won't extend to the collectible market... as it seems more geared towards items children will use.

I'm sure our market is next!

That will not pass. Baby clothes and toys are big sellers second hand stores and garage sales.

If true, then this is not the time to impede the free market, IMO. Of course, I heard yesterday that a legislator in Utah wants to sue the BCS (essentially b/c Utah isn't in the the title game), which is supposedly supported by senior Senator and former pres. candidate Orrin Hatch.

These idiots certainly have their priorities in order.

If true, then this is not the time to impede the free market, IMO. Of course, I heard yesterday that a legislator in Utah wants to sue the BCS (essentially b/c Utah isn't in the the title game), which is supposedly supported by senior Senator and former pres. candidate Orrin Hatch.

These idiots certainly have their priorities in order.

It's nice to see tax dollars put to good use!:monkey1

Slowly our government has gotten more and more dictorial and totalitarion and yet like good little boys and girls we just take it.
Because of the Chinese screwing things up WE THE PEOPLE have to suffer.
They ALWAYS use the guise of "looking out for us and especially the children" then they take away ALL our rights.:mad::mad::mad:

Great! Now there will a black market and underground of "ILLEGAL" toys and children's clothing!!!!! This is bull•••t ! What's next the government says that you can't sell you used car??

I think that enough Americans have the "resources and manpower to stop it".:D

No normal american person in their right mind is going to self inforce this. Also what costitutes a "childrens" toy? It is anything made for somebody 10 and under?

I find it hard to believe this has passed. The link in the first post didn't get me anywhere. Where else is this mentioned?

This just in.....new law states that selling used cars must now pass a test to prove no foreign gasoline was ever used...film at 11!

Guys, this has already passed.

Yes, it already passed. Our government at its finest. We have a on-going war, declining economy, ever increasing unemployment rate, declining school systems on, and on and on......

A genuis proposed and got this act approved. What a great time for this idea (a$$). People are hurting and need a way to cut-back. Buying used clothes / toys is a method to help people down on their luck.

The article doesn't provide depth but the act appears too broad to go without having revisions / amendments. Too many people hurting at an inappropriate time for this act. Wait until the poo hits the fan the genuis who proposed this will be backtracking.

The people we elect into office :duh

Back