Issues with 1/6 Snake Eyes and Timber set

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not like they haven't been doing a bang-up job so far. We expect near-perfection because of it. :)

I know, it's like they peaked with the Rock and Roll, cobra viper, crimson guard, and Zartan. Then boom, the most anticipated of all, they drop the ball.

:slap

There's very little - if any - making fun though. We're genuinely disappointed and there's nothing wrong with voicing that.

I find it difficult to believe no one saw this coming. At any rate, they're professionals - I'm sure they can take a little criticism.

It's not like they haven't been doing a bang-up job so far. We expect near-perfection because of it. :)

:lecture:lecture:lecture:exactly:

People have called my magazine everything from a wannabe paintball rag (which I don't get), to a glorified high school yearbook, to a budget fanzine by fanboys (which I appreciated). If it's legitimate critique from a customer (good or bad), we always take it with a grain of salt and say, "Now why are they saying this?" If it's from a hater, or another mag's sackmonkey, we have a good laugh and move on. Glorification's great, but it leads to stagnant impotency and inhibits evolution. Artistic growth lies within the arc and splat of the tossed tomatoes and keeps you on your toes, always looking to improve upon what you've done previously.

Only issues I have with this (and they are enough that I won't buy the figure) are:

1.The goggled mask looks awful. And that would have been the main reason I picked this one up.

2. The sweater looks equally awful. A regular commando sweater would have looked far better IMO.

Bummer, but at least I can modify my original version.

:lecture:lecture:lecture:exactly:

People have called my magazine everything from a wannabe paintball rag (which I don't get), to a glorified high school yearbook, to a budget fanzine by fanboys (which I appreciated). If it's legitimate critique from a customer (good or bad), we always take it with a grain of salt and say, "Now why are they saying this?" If it's from a hater, or another mag's sackmonkey, we have a good laugh and move on. Glorification's great, but it leads to stagnant impotency and inhibits evolution. Artistic growth lies within the arc and splat of the tossed tomatoes and keeps you on your toes, always looking to improve upon what you've done previously.

I love what you said there!

1247832124-88356700.jpg

why is it still being bumped.....?

If SSC is considering making changes they would have been aware of this by now. No need to further insult their artists.

How are we to know they are aware of it? We're yet to hear anything from Sideshow concerning this set since it's reveal. The point of creating this thread and linking a number of others was to show Sideshow that there is a legitimate reason why they should consider changes, that being a sizeable number of potential customers and fans of the line being underwhelmed by the prototype.

There's very little - if any - making fun though. We're genuinely disappointed and there's nothing wrong with voicing that.

I find it difficult to believe no one saw this coming. At any rate, they're professionals - I'm sure they can take a little criticism.

Exactly. The purpose of this thread is to point out the fact that there are a lot of people unhappy with some of the design choices in this set and to present them with a concise list of exactly where the problem areas are. We're not throwing sand in their face, not by a long shot. There has been nothing said that is intended as insulting or disparaging.

Unfortunately there are alot of people here that don't care if the product is subpar. And as long as there is enough of those to make a profit, Sideshow is not going to change anything.

I wasn't responding to you. I agree that Snake Eyes could use some revisions, though I'm about 99% sure they aren't gonna happen.

Oh, my bad. I kinda agree with you on that last part and what a shame if that's the case.

:lol

The new Snake Eyes is making him vomit; hence reinforcing your argument for revisions.

NICE!

Unfortunately there are alot of people here that don't care if the product is subpar. And as long as there is enough of those to make a profit, Sideshow is not going to change anything.

Last I checked, there were only two. Other than that, just a slew of newbs who missed out on the first Snake Eyes who won't even be buying this one for the Commando head anyway.

Last I checked, there were only two. Other than that, just a slew of newbs who missed out on the first Snake Eyes who won't even be buying this one for the Commando head anyway.

Those might be enough for SS to think "see collectors love this figure". The kicker is that this is supposed to be Commando Snake Eyes, yet as you mentioned, most are buying it to display it as the 85 SE, which doesnt make sense if you already have the first one. Just buy the "updated" parted head and a new body upgrade save 150.00 bucks .

Agent85/Andy,

I've known you in this hobby for a long time and I know no one loves Joe or this hobby more than you. I think this thread is a great idea and I'll make sure your comments and other suggestions here are forwarded to Scott Klauder/Klauder, who works for SSC and used to work at Small Blue Planet and is a former Warrior Forum/OSWer himself. As a long time OSWer yourself, I'm sure he will want to hear what the predominantly military side of the hobby has to say and feels as well. I'm sure he will hear your comments and take them to heart. I will also forward your comments myself personally to SSC, to attempt to make sure your concerns are heard as well.

As for Snake Eyes as shown, what I would personally like to see is

- Replacing the TMP for a MAC10 with suppressor

https://media.photobucket.com/image... cobra/Alexx1083/0 Joe Reviews 0/uzishoot.jpg

I think this was used to great effect with a Pursuit of Cobra Snake Eyes set.

- Make both Timber heads inclusive in the regular set. At a 200 price point, as much bang for the buck possibly will only help the set.

- As you suggested, increase the size of the goggles of the Commando head and replace the black jacket with a black commando sweater ( essentially Stalker's sweater in black)

- Make inclusive, as possibly the new exclusive, the classic Snake Eyes "satchel"

https://thefwoosh.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/IMG_1156.jpg

Which appears to be explosives. This is homage to the original figure.

- If you are going to give Snake Eyes a sword repainted from the SSC Ninja line, then give him two of those swords for the classic "criss cross" effect for Snake. Also consider the 1989 4 inch Snake

https://roboticplanet.com/store/images/gi_joe/gijoesnakeeyesv3comp.jpg

The criss cross chest blades ( maybe not of that size or color scheme) is also something I've seen used in other interpretations of Snake Eyes and would be an interesting "chest rig" type weapon. Also his cermonial sword in this 4 inch set, again, maybe a reworking for the color scheme and walnut crusher on the hilt, would be an interesting premise for a new type sword.

- Make a "cap" over type suppressor, aimer, laser unit "sleeve" for the SSC Joe standard Kimber pistol.

https://www.justpistols.co.uk/jac_s_right.jpg

https://airgun-academy.pyramydair.c...-BB-pistol-compensator-off-and-sight-rail.jpg

This will allow you to still use the same Kimber mold, but add onto it as a new type weapon and fit into the Snake "stealth" theme.

- Take the basic Storm Shadow outfit ( the cloth top, pants, forearm guards, leg wraps) and make them black, and replace the Cobra emblem with the Arashikage emblem

https://www.fourthcircledesigns.com/toys/stormshadow17.jpg

https://www.j12media.com/wp-content/uploads/snake-eyes-colored.jpg

This will allow you to reuse a preexisting design and pattern to save on tooling costs, add in a second uniform and "DX" your set. Which would allow people to build two Snakes, a Commando and a young training Ninja version with the 2nd head and 2nd outfit by the hobbyist simply getting another body.

- Remove the Uzi, the assault rifle and some of the extra hands to offset the new additions.

- Make the back of the box a cut out, where someone can cut it out, angle it and form a very simple dojo background display for Snake. This doesn't interfere with your environment appeal or non appeal, it just adds some luster for box art you have to make anyway.

Thanks agent85, I think this is a great thread. Even if SSC doesn't make changes, it never hurts to discuss and we can at least say we tried to make our consumer voices heard.

MeatHook

Edit @ 3;40 PST. I sent a message to Klauder and also submitted the link to this thread to SSC to ask to be forward to their Joe design team.

https://www.sideshowtoy.com/helpdesk/?p=297

Andy, maybe you can edit your original post to add in the Product Suggestion link from SSC's main website.

SSC is a very fan friendly company, and while I don't think every single product is a home run nor a complete bomb, I do think they have a system in place for consumer feedback. As a predominantly military collector, with most of the brands based overseas and most don't speak English and most don't want to interact with US consumers the way SSC dialogues with it's fans, I think folks have to use the systems in place and be persistent. I wish I could get the military brands to be as open as SSC is about talking to consumers. I think instead of appreciating that SSC is willing to have open dialogue, some of you folks just take it for granted.

Andy Dufrense, in Shawshank Redemption, wrote a letter every week to get his prison library built. He kept at it, and eventually he was heard. Then he wrote two letters a week. I don't always expect to be heard when I want to be heard, but I am baffled at those who think there is no point in trying.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back