Is Sideshow still a toy company?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: ah well...

I'm not being myopic,I think I'm looking at the bigger picture here.Rebel scum is a forum for 12 inch SW customizers,so naturally anticipation there would be high.Still,I'll bet Star Wars fandom at large is more upset that the unleashed line will be discontinued rather than get all excited about a new and better 12'' line of articulated cloth figures,most of wich they have already bought.
There are figures that I would like to see Sideshow make,I'm not begrudging anyone thier STAR WARS fix.

eh?

Lay off Star Wars? I love Star Wars. Except for the Shitquels. What part of it do you want me to lay off, denger4000? I revere the OT, will that do...?

One thing I haven't seen mentioned [and if it was, I apologize]is price and availability. The 12" Hasbro offerings were $19.99 -$24.99 and available for purchase at Toys R Us, KB, Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Suncoast, etc.... Will Sideshow be lowering their SRP's OR be offering their figures at retail stores? {ahhhh, I remember picking up my Karloff Frankensteins in TRU :) } I think not. The Star Wars line will unquestionably sell better than any other 1/6 license that Sideshow has ever had . So, here we go again with issue numbers, exclusives, Ebay purchases to save some $, etc.... Then, the lightsaber was broken, well you didn't buy it from us so.....take it back out of your collection/pack the whole thing up/send it back to the seller/pray a replacement is available and if not, then what? Do they send you the figure back or are you even more out of luck then when you started??
I'm with Airbond in that I don't collect the high end stuff...can't afford it. I'm a 1:6 collector, always was, always will be.
SDCC may not be where to announce ALL your stuff but, aside from SW, Drusilla and 2 Highlanders?? Thats it??
As for abandoning 1:6? I wouldn't call 1 exclusive zombie a whole new line. And I agree that Star Wars, while it might be past its prime to some, is one of the unpassable licenses.
Yes, the Universal Monsters 1:6 line seems ignored, as does the BTVS core characters, Bond, X-Files, Twilight Zone, Outer Limits and, to me, Planet of the Apes. Where's Giles, Cordy, insert missing Bond character, X-Files MOTW, Rod Serling......?
The Star Wars line will unquestionably sell better than any other 1/6 license that Sideshow has ever had
But....what does that mean for the other 1:6 licenses?? If Star Wars was such a good seller, than why would hasbro give it up? And if you only check Star Wars type forums than the response will, of course, be more positive. Medicom's sell out but how many do they produce? And do we really want to pay $200 for a 1:6 figure? I don't, but I can see some of the people who payed that amount kicking themselves and waiting to see what comes from Sideshow.

The official word from Sideshow is that the Star Wars stuff will be done much the same as their other 1/6 figures. Sold online through Sideshow's web site, at web based dealers, Exclusives will be offered through Sideshow's website only (possibly other sites like they did with the 1/4 scale Vader), The Extended Universe stuff will be sold through Sideshow's website only (possibly other sites), The Extended Universe stuff will be chosen by a web poll (by us) and regular updates and pictures will be given to us from the beginning of the process all the way to the end of the process (perhaps for our approval) and they will range in price from $40-$60 (maybe more?).
Sideshow doesn't want to go the retail rout again. apparently they got burned by Toys R Us on something (it's a rumor I've heard) and that is what caused them to go online exclusively and through on line dealers.
It would be nice if they could sell these from select retail stores, but it wont happen.

But....what does that mean for the other 1:6 licenses?? If Star Wars was such a good seller, than why would hasbro give it up
I think Hasblow mismanaged the line. They really never made any huge strides to improve their 1:6 figures and where passed up by other manufactures. I remember when they announced their first fully articulated 1:6 body some years ago, and was thinking that they are now going to catch up with the others, but I have yet to see one of those on the shelves. And their accessories were terrible compared to BBI Dragon and Sideshow. Then they made the two Jedi women and didn't include feet! Kids really are not interested in 1:6 dolls, when they have a little money in their pocket, they would rather buy several 4" Star Wars figures then only one 1:6 doll. And I think they still suffer from the stigmatization of being Dolls. little boys don't want to play with dolls. It's just us big boys that feel comfortable collecting dolls.

And do we really want to pay $200 for a 1:6 figure? I don't, but I can see some of the people who paid that amount kicking themselves and waiting to see what comes from Sideshow.
Yes, I'm one of them! I wish someone would've told me before I put down $50 on Vader, now I'll have to come up with the rest when I'd rather get a cheaper SSC Vader at a latter date and spend the $200 on something else. >:
In fact, I'd like to spend it on that Medicom Comic style Spider-Man figure they're coming out with (Please Sideshow don't go after that license!). :p

The official word from Sideshow is that the Star Wars stuff will be done much the same as their other 1/6 figures.

I hope one exception to that rule will be the Stormtroopers; I'm keeping my fingers crossed that these'll be produced in larger numbers and a cheaper pricepoint to allow for army building; just like Majestic's Cylons, you can't just have ONE stormtrooper! ;)

Nick

I hope one exception to that rule will be the Stormtroopers; I'm keeping my fingers crossed that these'll be produced in larger numbers and a cheaper pricepoint to allow for army building; just like Majestic's Cylons, you can't just have ONE stormtrooper!

I fully agree with you MiskatonicNick! :toast
That's why I said it would be such a huge mistake to sell Vader and any of the Clone/StormTroopers at $100. which is only a rumor right now.
I know Sideshow is smart enough to realize that, so I feel the truth will be closer to standard 1/6 prices.

Back