Will Hot Toys damage their brand by distributing Sideshow figures?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Britain

Super Freak
Reaction score
Watching all that Sideshow crap being displayed next to Hot Toys items makes me really worry about the repetitional damage that Hot Toys could incur from being too closely associated with a company like Sideshow. Fair enough when Sideshow is distributing HT stuff but surely it can't help HT to be responsible for distributing Sideshow figures? You do wonder if buyers in the Asian market who have never bought Sideshow figures are ready for the 'what the **** is this crap?' aspect of opening a Sideshow product, especially as Sideshow is a well known name in collectibles and this might lead buyers to think that implies some kind of guarantee of quality.

Seeing them next to each other really tarnishes the HT Star Wars line and I hate the suggestion that they inhabit a shared universe - kind of like people who claim the prequels are the first part of Star Wars when really they're just some garbage that Lucas made under the same name. I guess what's also worrying is that Hot Toys might borrow some techniques from Sideshow, or that fans might start to view Sideshow and Hot Toys as one line.

Hot Toys Star Wars line has already proved underwhelming in terms of likenesses (and no, I'm not suggesting they've done this deliberately so their products fit alongside Sideshow better!) putting it in such close proximity to Sideshow's line can't do the product or the company any good at all.

What a nice backhanded way to take shots SS:rotfl

The pink elephant in the room is that the man is right. No need to be backhanded about it sideshow sucks. I respect them for what they started and even though I thought their figures looked dorky back in the day there was no other kind of man dolls so they were best in class by default.

They should stick to the overpriced statues because other than Bowen they don't really have any competition in that market.

And if sideshow continued to innocently produce the same kind of crap at the lower price point of 70 dollars or whatever they used to cost Id still respect them in the same way I reaoect Neca for offering a different kind of product in the market but they think they can charge over 150 dollars for sub par product and thats where they need a reality check.

What a nice backhanded way to take shots SS:rotfl

SS has brought it upon themselves by not improving, actually they are getting worse. People should be allowed to voice their opinions. No one is saying they should die, or just stop. People are saying they need to step it up, they are not the big boys in the game anymore. Hell years ago their 1/6 wasn't even worth 50-60 bucks, glorified Hasbro. SS to me has always been about statues, and look how that is going now. An expensive risk buying them now.

Take the 1/6 Snake. Kind of sick of the excuse well it's only a 160 figure. That license is nowhere near SW cost. And its a plain plastic looking head with a beard painted on. So what's the excuse?

Does HT have stinkers? Yes, but they still outshine SS winners. It isn't just HT, there are other companies putting better product out. Even though I wouldn't buy a fake, does anyone think SS would have done a better Dredd than the fake one?

Wait until that $240 Luke comes out with no accessories.

So all of you are saying NO one is buying any SS products? If so then yes it stupid for HT to make this agreement. But if people are buying them it's a good deal for them. It's a very good thing people on this board don't run business's since business sense is very lacking.

Take the 1/6 Snake. Kind of sick of the excuse well it's only a 160 figure. That license is nowhere near SW cost. And its a plain plastic looking head with a beard painted on. So what's the excuse?

Does HT have stinkers? Yes, but they still outshine SS winners. It isn't just HT, there are other companies putting better product out. Even though I wouldn't buy a fake, does anyone think SS would have done a better Dredd than the fake one?.

Kinda agree....AF Dredd cost the same and the paint apps are better and the tailoring will likely be on par with Snake. A much smaller co without resources of SS, folks just giving SS a pass. I am all for keeping them in the game but they need to step it up....actually they needed to step it up for years but charging HT prices they better deliver or accepting the consequences.

So all of you are saying NO one is buying any SS products?

No one said it, we are talking quality. We've all bought and all got burned. It's ******** that people think there is no problem in paying these prices, then turning around and wasting time and money to improve them. They're not kits. Maybe SS should just release paint it yourself items, since people think the sculpts are so good, under all the globbed crayola paint. Hell they didn't bother with details on Plissken so maybe they are starting the DIY line.

No, it won't hurt them... it makes them money and it's still clear who makes what product.

And while Sideshow is not as good of quality, they still offer many things that collectors all over the world want and will buy. Just look at Drake, a pretty big fail... but now totally sold out :huh

Kinda agree....AF Dredd cost the same and the paint apps are better and the tailoring will likely be on par with Snake. A much smaller co without resources of SS, folks just giving SS a pass. I am all for keeping them in the game but they need to step it up....actually they needed to step it up for years but charging HT prices they better deliver or accepting the consequences.

Price of a mass produced grey market figure isn't really a fair comparison... the quality of the Dredd figure is top-notch, so no doubt about that. But, they are paying no money for the license and even had to delay shipping him because of the C&Ds coming from the license holders.

So, they can charge quite a bit less and still make a profit because they don't have to pay the same fees. If it was a licensed figure I imagine they would have easily asked $50 extra or more for him. And you're right the factory may not charge them as much, but that's just a guess. Art figures could be owned by a much larger backer who has more control over prices, or they're using a less expensive (but clearly still high quality) factory.

I wish we could go back to the days of Hasbro dolls being the best ln the market just so we could see so many nerds cry themselves to sleep and then watch their heads explode later.

I enjoy Sideshow products at their current quality level, but the pricing on their 1/6 items isn't making me too happy these days. I don't think Hot Toys making more products available as a distrutor will hurt them, though. I think I remember them taking over as the Asian distributor for Hasbro products as well, if memory serves me.

No one said it, we are talking quality. We've all bought and all got burned. It's ******** that people think there is no problem in paying these prices, then turning around and wasting time and money to improve them. They're not kits. Maybe SS should just release paint it yourself items, since people think the sculpts are so good, under all the globbed crayola paint. Hell they didn't bother with details on Plissken so maybe they are starting the DIY line.

Great points from everyone but I love the suggestion that Sideshow should just release paint it yourself items. It really has reached the point when doing it yourself, even if you can't paint, won't result in a figure that is substantially worse than what SS produce. They could pass on the cost savings to the consumer. Essentially, Sideshow's future is as a custom parts supplier.

Doubtful since HT is only growing and strengthening its brand. They are just offering SS product not slapping their names on it. Also SS produces in multiple formats beyond 1:6 figs. However they are both producing Star Wars 1:6 which is a huge line that includes characters, aliens, creatures, vehicles and environments. And SS has other licenses like comic DC and Marvel which could be huge in Asia. I think the real opportunity is for both companies to work more closely together to bring SS figs up in quality, standardize scales, and co-develop things like bodies, and share sources for head sculpts, painting and tailoring, which will bring costs down for both companies and increase margins. That might not be what happens, but I have worked in other industries like telecommunications and consumer electronics where competitors realize it's smarter to work together on some things rather than be out there trying to slit each other's throats on everything.

Last edited:
Price of a mass produced grey market figure isn't really a fair comparison... the quality of the Dredd figure is top-notch, so no doubt about that. But, they are paying no money for the license and even had to delay shipping him because of the C&Ds coming from the license holders.

So, they can charge quite a bit less and still make a profit because they don't have to pay the same fees. If it was a licensed figure I imagine they would have easily asked $50 extra or more for him. And you're right the factory may not charge them as much, but that's just a guess. Art figures could be owned by a much larger backer who has more control over prices, or they're using a less expensive (but clearly still high quality) factory.

A fair point, I believe SS has a place they just need to find it and become it. Doesn't really answer the question posed in the thread but meh. Time will tell what a $240 (SS) figure vs a $240 (HT) figure produces. People will decide...

Man, I hope this dolly hobby dies soon. It's just not fun any more.

I don't want to sound like a hipster, but it was better a few years ago. Now we all sound like a bunch of little whiny brats with brand preferences and not much else.

I don't know what's second rate about the Scout and Bike. Both are phenomenal and will fit right in with anything HT produces. Stuff like the Snowtrooper, E-Web and Probe Droid were also first rate. I really can't see HT improving on what SSC did with any of those releases. So no, I don't think distributing Sideshow stuff will hurt HT...

Man, I hope this dolly hobby dies soon. It's just not fun any more.

I don't want to sound like a hipster, but it was better a few years ago.

doll suicide and kill your collection then it'll be over for you....quickly and peacefully :lol

I never take these conversations seriously, they don't matter. I suppose some folks could be dead serious ? Here in the SW section read all the comments on Han, Chewie, Vader and Ben....talk about taking themselves seriously.....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back