Is anyone else just kind of "over" Hot Toys or Not?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Is anyone else just kind of "over" Hot Toys?

Yeah, there's clearly something genuinely wrong with Nova. I've seen it in this thread and I've seen it in others. Something just doesn't click with him. It's spooky.

A HT wrist peg lodged up his nose? Maybe.

Re: Is anyone else just kind of "over" Hot Toys?

Yeah, there's clearly something genuinely wrong with Nova. I've seen it in this thread and I've seen it in others. Something just doesn't click with him. It's spooky.

Same problem as with tons of other people on this forum...they talk just to talk and be part of the "crowd" but are full of hot air. The funniest one to me is when I hear people say "I'm getting 4 of these" when there's a release, but in reality, they can't even afford one. Some do, but I'd wager they are very rare.

sounds like scalper to me if there are any, why anyone want to buy 4 of the same unit, just plain crazy..

It's interesting to see people's opinions on this topic. It's even more interesting to look at myself and some of my previous posts on the subject considering the sudden shift I'm experiencing.

I'm not over HT at all. Unfortunately I have other priorities now, including paying for a wedding and thinking about starting a family in the future. I know that I will have to significantly slow down what I collect and I can tell you that the last line that I probably go after will be the TKDR line. After that I'll probably limit myself to one or two a year.

I probably won't ever be completely done with them but I will slow down.

It's interesting to see people's opinions on this topic. It's even more interesting to look at myself and some of my previous posts on the subject considering the sudden shift I'm experiencing.

I probably won't ever be completely done with them but I will slow down.

That's similar to me. I can't deny I still love their stuff, but my preorders for Q4 and later have already dropped considerably. I've passed on figures that 2 years ago I would have been all over. There are a handful of factors. I think for one, HT is getting a little too "big for their britches" as the old phrase goes- they're getting too much into repaints, recastings, anything to grow the company. Too much focus on some figures, and the weird urge to re-do them ad infinitum. At some point, that starts to conflict with the wishes of collectors, who appreciate the exclusivity/ limited nature of items. HT does not need to go mass market. I also think price points are a big issue. I had no problem ordering when the average figure price was closer to $150 than $200. Now the average price is threatening to creep past $200. When I start to think of what that amount could buy in more "real world" merchandise- new furniture, clothes, food, car payment, etc, it just makes the figures, no matter how gorgeous seem a bit extravagant and wasteful. the economy has changed, it's just not as easy to be frivolous. We are also staring to see possible signs of some quality drops as items don't get enough attention or quality resources- Alice looks not nearly as good as her proto, and I'm fearful about Indiana Jones. I was buying probably a figure a month, but now I think it's going to be more like a figure per quarter for me. I had originally planned to get the 89 Batman and Joker, but with both together getting way too close to the $500 mark, I just can't justify pulling the trigger, especially with Batman having a rubber suit, which we know won't last forever. I cancelled the BB Batman because I couldn't see paying almost $250 for basically a head I wanted, and Indy and Jack Sparrow need to impress me big time for me to not cancel them. I still love HT product, but they are forcing me to be a lot more choosey. :thud:

Prices, re-paints and the announcement of 1/4 figures are actually turning me off.

That's similar to me. I can't deny I still love their stuff, but my preorders for Q4 and later have already dropped considerably. I've passed on figures that 2 years ago I would have been all over. There are a handful of factors. I think for one, HT is getting a little too "big for their britches" as the old phrase goes- they're getting too much into repaints, recastings, anything to grow the company. Too much focus on some figures, and the weird urge to re-do them ad infinitum. At some point, that starts to conflict with the wishes of collectors, who appreciate the exclusivity/ limited nature of items. HT does not need to go mass market. I also think price points are a big issue. I had no problem ordering when the average figure price was closer to $150 than $200. Now the average price is threatening to creep past $200. When I start to think of what that amount could buy in more "real world" merchandise- new furniture, clothes, food, car payment, etc, it just makes the figures, no matter how gorgeous seem a bit extravagant and wasteful. the economy has changed, it's just not as easy to be frivolous. We are also staring to see possible signs of some quality drops as items don't get enough attention or quality resources- Alice looks not nearly as good as her proto, and I'm fearful about Indiana Jones. I was buying probably a figure a month, but now I think it's going to be more like a figure per quarter for me. I had originally planned to get the 89 Batman and Joker, but with both together getting way too close to the $500 mark, I just can't justify pulling the trigger, especially with Batman having a rubber suit, which we know won't last forever. I cancelled the BB Batman because I couldn't see paying almost $250 for basically a head I wanted, and Indy and Jack Sparrow need to impress me big time for me to not cancel them. I still love HT product, but they are forcing me to be a lot more choosey. :thud:

:goodpost: Although I'm not completely over hot toys, their prices are starting to make me think twice. I'm actually thinking about going back to collecting the smaller scale figures like Play Arts Kai by Squaresoft. Their up-coming batman and street fighter figures look amazing. They're cheaper, and smaller - thus less space consumption in my ever crowded closets!

:goodpost: Although I'm not completely over hot toys, their prices are starting to make me think twice. I'm actually thinking about going back to collecting the smaller scale figures like Play Arts Kai by Squaresoft. Their up-coming batman and street fighter figures look amazing. They're cheaper, and smaller - thus less space consumption in my ever crowded closets!

That leads me back to another thought- HT going into 1/4 figures- How many people are really going to have display room for them? I know there's no chance I would. I also wouldn't be interested in paying the price they are bound to ask for these things... and I wonder will it dilute the quality and offerings in 1/6 or hurt SS's PF business? Just seems like HT is trying too hard to take over too much.

That leads me back to another thought- HT going into 1/4 figures- How many people are really going to have display room for them? I know there's no chance I would. I also wouldn't be interested in paying the price they are bound to ask for these things... and I wonder will it dilute the quality and offerings in 1/6 or hurt SS's PF business? Just seems like HT is trying too hard to take over too much.

Agreed, HT venturing into 1/4 is an easy pass for me based on space restrictions primarily. The price point is another issue that I'm assuming will make this scale easy to avoid. Lastly, figure joints at 1/4 scale would be huge and pretty hard for me to ignore/over look so that's pretty much the nail in the coffin for me collecting this scale figure.

I may make an exception of a 1/4 IM figure if it's a one off for example, but if they pump out an entire line of them it's an easy pass. Collecting 1/6 is just perfect for my tastes and works best for the space I'm willing to dedicate to my collectibles.

:exactly: i'm about to receive my mark 5 but i do not feel as enthusiastic as i used to when i just started collecting the iron man series a couple of years back...been thinking if i should stop altogether lately since i do not even have the space to display them...

:exactly: i'm about to receive my mark 5 but i do not feel as enthusiastic as i used to when i just started collecting the iron man series a couple of years back...been thinking if i should stop altogether lately since i do not even have the space to display them...

That's funny- I have that one on the way too, and I'm not as excited as i once would have been. I sort of wish it was Superman coming first. Not sure if it's because Ht is IRONMANIRONMANIRONMANing us to death, or maybe the figure seems less exciting than I expected. Just seems like it needs more action features or something.
I also think the over-proliferation of IM things i can't afford to add to my collection (Monger, Hall of Armor, Gantry) somehow makes the IM line less exciting. I feel priced out. :(

I still love Hot Toys but I'm not made of unlimited funds. I just bought a big display case to put all my figures in. And it took a while to set up. I'm not too happy about their announcement of their venture into the 1/4 figure arena. I don't have anywhere to put them and the price will most likely be insane. I have not doubt the quality will be out of this world but I wonder how that going to affect the 1/6 figures. Will they make the same character in both scales? Then it seems like the 1/6 will be inferior in many ways (detail, sculpt, acessories, etc.). HT announced that a special team is working on 1/4 for Avengers so are they taking talent away from 1/6? Or lets says only certain characters make it into 1/4 but not 1/6. If you really like that character or are a completist then you might have no choice but to go to that scale? To me at this point it seems the negatives of 1/4 outweigh the positives.

If they produce more 1/4 than 1/6 i'm over it.

Just cos Enterbay wants a slice doesn't mean Ht have to change their products to beat them, let them have 1/4.

I only want 1/6, this announcement plus the flagrant hyping of the avengers and Batman is basically saying they dont care about other licenses.

Oh forgive me for wanting figures from licenses they have, other than from the same licenses over and over.

Not all people on this board want every freaking Iron Man and Batman variant, they want fresh new characters from other franchises, but they don't get ____.

Todays announcement seels it, Hot Toys are now moving their cash cows to Avengers and Dark Knight Rises, and if you don't want figures from them you're screwed, cos HT doesn't care about making more than two or three from other licenses

VehicleS from TDKR when Loki hasn't been made, when Clu hasn't been made, when Elias hasn't been made, When Neytiri hasn't even been rumoured, i could go on...

What about those customers?

Hot Toys doesn't give a ____ about them

That's my problem with HT.

People need to pull ther heads out of their asses and realize they are more great movie characters than Just Batman, Iron Man and Predators.

Last edited:
I wonder why people get upset over Hot Toys annoucements of new products.

I think it is one of 3 reasons:

1. They don't want their collectible to decrease in value: The money factor.

2. They don't want everyone to have a the same collectible as them: The rare factor.

3. A combination of the rareness and value of a figure.

I think I collect for a combination of rare and valuable. If Hot Toys is neither, I'm not sure if I will continue to collect.

All that's left is collecting for a love of figures. I no longer collect comics because you can read them for free at B&N and they are not valuable. I think I would rather look at pictures of these mass produced figures than shell out a paycheck for one.

But we have a New Goblin, never forget that. :thud:

I completely agree with your post.

Hot Toys does baffle me sometimes with character choices.

• Instead of Loki they chose Odin
  • Instead of Doc Ock they chose New Goblin
  • Instead of Red Skull they're doing the USO Cap
  • Instead of Sweet Pea they chose Amber
  • Instead of Clu they chose Kevin Flynn
Makes me wonder, what will accompany Magneto?... Riptide?

Hot Toys does baffle me sometimes with character choices.

• Instead of Loki they chose Odin
  • Instead of Doc Ock they chose New Goblin
  • Instead of Red Skull they're doing the USO Cap
  • Instead of Sweet Pea they chose Amber
  • Instead of Clu they chose Kevin Flynn
Makes me wonder, what will accompany Magneto?... Riptide?

LOLOLOLOL

:exactly::goodpost:

Back