Is anyone else just kind of "over" Hot Toys or Not?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As long as it doesn't affect there 1/6 line's, then I don't care much about HT making 1/4 figures. Remember just because HT are making 1/4 figures now, doesn't mean your got to buy them or move over to 1/4. I personally can't anyway, I haven't got the space for a line of 1/4 figured. I know I'll be tempted by there Batman as stand alone piece but all my spare cash is taken up by 1/6 so it's very unlikely. I do feel for collectors like Nova though, fortunately for me I'm a big fan of Predator, Dc & Marvel characters so I'm more than catered for by HT but I would like them to put a bit more effort in to other licences they produce, like the Platoon line, my Taylor & Barnes are still boxed up because theres still no sign of Elias getting made but as long as I can afford these figures I'll always be into HT :)

Hot Toys does baffle me sometimes with character choices.

• Instead of Loki they chose Odin
  • Instead of Doc Ock they chose New Goblin
  • Instead of Red Skull they're doing the USO Cap
  • Instead of Sweet Pea they chose Amber
  • Instead of Clu they chose Kevin Flynn
Makes me wonder, what will accompany Magneto?... Riptide?

The line that left me gutted with HT character choices was when they decided to make Silk Spectre & The Comedian instead of Rorschach & Nite Owl. I know I'm in the minority of giving a ____ about that line but man I was so excited thinking I was getting them two, I thought they were sure things :slap

You forgot :
Instead of Rorschach they choose Silk Spectre II

All in all, HT still makes an amazing line of figures. As for the cost of these item being to expensive, the cost of all action figures has gone up. Just got an e-mail from BBTS informing of the upcoming Cowboys and Aliens figures. These are going for $185.00 each and I for one think HT is better than Medicom.

Old Grandpa

so many posts lately.. talking about spaces and 1/4, 1/6, but deep down inside everyone hearts it's all about the price..

iron monger for 400 bucks? unlimited remake?

im sure if hot toys price ranges between 1 - 100 dollar max, there will be spaces and there wont be this thread..

now the 1/4 bit, i assume enterbay (soon will be followed by hot toys) realize collectors are moving over to statue, hence they are testing the market by making 1/4 size to compete with statues/PF..

why compete with statues/PF?
back to the price again..
for example, leonidas HT 300 runs about 350 bucks in the market, for the same price i can purchase leonidas PF.. with all its glory and natural six pack.. not to mention the size...

Leonidas HT 300 on the other hand with its going to be broken rubber in few years time and its lipposuctioned six pack toys like... will be eaten by my dog or something..

note: leonidas HT price now has dropped to 200 usd.. o yeah baby bubble burst for HT.. everyone is running away from it.., as a matter of fact predator tracker with hound brand new is selling around 100 dollars in my country (losing money sale), and nobody wants to buy them.. collectors are really moving away from HT..

another example with latest Predator PO ranges around 200-300 bucks, if they make predator statue/PF in 300-400 bucks, which would you buy? for me it will be statue..

another point from statue is that they are really limited in numbers...
for HT/enterbay/and the rest, its like they produce unlimited numbers of units lately, since the market for HT is going up in last few years (iron man line) people are stocking up hoping for price increase but now the bubble has burst..

so there you go... that is the real reason.. or maybe its my reason.. and solely my opinion...

no offense intended anyway..

Last edited:
My collecting habits have nothing to do with how limited or exclusive a figure is and everything to do with how cool the figure is. Poseability is important to me, therefore I prefer action figures over statues. The 1/4 scale EB is going hard at with HT following suit does not interest me because I don't have the money - or space - to start populating my collection with these. And I picked up Leo at MSRP - even if he deteriorates in 5 years I'll have enjoyed him on my shelf for over 6 years so no regrets there.

Having said all that, the rising prices are making me more selective in my purchases. I just can't stomach $300 shipped for an Indy that is so poorly realised. But for the foreseeable future I'm sticking with 1/6, and HT is still top dog in that arena.

My collecting habits have nothing to do with how limited or exclusive a figure is and everything to do with how cool the figure is. Poseability is important to me, therefore I prefer action figures over statues. The 1/4 scale EB is going hard at with HT following suit does not interest me because I don't have the money - or space - to start populating my collection with these. And I picked up Leo at MSRP - even if he deteriorates in 5 years I'll have enjoyed him on my shelf for over 6 years so no regrets there.

Having said all that, the rising prices are making me more selective in my purchases. I just can't stomach $300 shipped for an Indy that is so poorly realised. But for the foreseeable future I'm sticking with 1/6, and HT is still top dog in that arena.

^^^ I was just about to post that, I kept reading about limited, exclusive, etc...

I really don't care who has them, "I" just want them for the cool factor and that I enjoy character. I don't collect this stuff for money, if I loose interest in something it loses value by the time I want to sell it, then so be it... meh!

^^^ I was just about to post that, I kept reading about limited, exclusive, etc...

I really don't care who has them, "I" just want them for the cool factor and that I enjoy character. I don't collect this stuff for money, if I loose interest in something it loses value by the time I want to sell it, then so be it... meh!

Oh come one Ski, that's BS! I know you'll turn into Hulk when that happens. :lol

I wonder why people get upset over Hot Toys annoucements of new products.

I think it is one of 3 reasons:

1. They don't want their collectible to decrease in value: The money factor.

2. They don't want everyone to have a the same collectible as them: The rare factor.

3. A combination of the rareness and value of a figure.

I think I collect for a combination of rare and valuable. If Hot Toys is neither, I'm not sure if I will continue to collect.

All that's left is collecting for a love of figures. I no longer collect comics because you can read them for free at B&N and they are not valuable. I think I would rather look at pictures of these mass produced figures than shell out a paycheck for one.

This, I like! :lecture

Soooo true!!! :slap

[ame]https://youtu.be/XLgYAHHkPFs[/ame]

"I hope someday you join us and the world will live as one!"​

Last edited:

this is the correct answer for a true collector...
actually this is also applies everywhere around us, our blackberry, our iphone, our tv... our cars... :)

in my case, i am a very lucky collector then, i like statue more than hottoys for various reason differ with yours.. (money reason aside) and at the end of the day it does not depreciate in value... voila... :) or not as much... :D

If HT keeps jackin prices and keeps missing exact liknesses of headsculpts, not finishing the main cast of a line while bombarding us with other lines and quality controls deteriorates then yeah I'll steer clear!
I'm hopeful, However, that HT will begin to finish lines and get get licenses for new lines and stop their price jacking!!!

Back