Is anyone else just kind of "over" Hot Toys or Not?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Is anyone else just kind of "over" Hot Toys?

No metal gear solid love? That's the only thing I'm looking forward to

I've been "over" them for the past couple years. Since the Watchmen crap, really.

X-Men: First Class was the first of their licenses to tempt me back, but I know I won't get more than one or two figures from it, tops, because that's all they'll make.

Thor was a gift and I like him, but no Loki to pose with him = me, unsatisfied.

Price has also become a factor as well. Nowadays, $200 is a lot of money to me and can pay a few of my bills. I can't justify purchasing multiple HT figures like I used to.

They're getting way too expensive, releasing too many versions of the same damn character, and not making KEY characters in a line.

They're FAIL at this point for me.

Last edited:

Over what? :dunno

303753_206489406079724_138228759572456_598351_1969414_n.jpg

Price is getting way too high now. I was shocked at the price of the joker and 89 Batman. When a toy cost $230 to $270, thats really hard to swallow.

I actually just started collecting HT figures bought Thor, and PO Captain America, and 1989 Joker (price is steep but its March or April so my tax return should be in by then :wink1:) I think they are great figs, but if the prices keep going up I'll def be limiting my purchases of them to 1 or 2 a year. Besides outside wanting a Iron Man Mark VII from the Avengers to complete my Avengers set, I don't see anything really that I'm just bananas over. Now if HT suddenly gets a license to Escape From New York, Cobra, Commando, or Judge Dredd well thats a whole different story. I'd literally sell organs for a John Matrix figure with a quad barrel rocket launcher :yess:

That license thing brings me to a question, are the HT Batman and Joker 89 so much because its Jack Nicholson and Michael Keaton and the Original Batman is such a still highly sought after property. Lets say HT picked up the Batman Forever license would the figs be cheaper because it's Val Kilmer and Jim Carrey and Forever isn't as much of a sought after license? I'm just trying to figure out, I know the price is based on the fact that its a DX model, but does popularity and strength of a license come into price? I mean Captain America is like 155-170 and thats a current, all be it not yet proven franchise. 89 Joker is 250-265 is this because it is an old established franchise that is much more highly known? Or does none of it matter, licensing, royalties, DX vs non DX and HT just says f___ you, we can charge whatever we want because enough people will buy it no matter what the price (as they laugh maniacally while sitting on a chair made out of 100 dollar bills)

Last edited:

So many thoughts and comments coming from both sides. All of them are valid points. KBA started a similar thread before, which I didn't even see, but echos a lot of my sentiments. Mine was just more HT focused since HT was the driving force behind my current thought.

As someone pointed out before, it probably has a lot to do with my personal focus which is Star Wars 1:1 Prop replicas and 1:4 statues. But HT were the reason I got into 1/6 and expanded my collecting, and with their current trend in price and oversturation of licenses changes things.

JB

Last edited:

I have some minor nits with them as far as quality control, but of the 59 Hot Toys figures I own, the incidents are pretty isolated.

My ED-209 dome is shrinking, but I sprayed with a sealant when I first noticed it and I think that helped it slow the process. I have a back up replacement dome already, so if it does get to the point where it tears, I have a fix ready to go. I don't blame HT for this. They couldn't foresee the rubber shrinking over time. It probably was a cost vs. design issue--fabric would have been too expensive and the dome being molded with paint would have been cheap looking because you needed texture.

I've had no issues with any of my rubber bodies, but my Comedian is beginning to get oily. It sucks (and it also sucks they didn't finish the line), but nothing you can really do abut this--but I DO think HT's smart and savvy enough to figure out how to fix the rubber contact issues in future figures. I never purchased a DX Batman, so I never experienced having a Batman with a creamy center, but I did end up with a Ghost Rider with a broken belt buckle on the jacket. Forbidden Planet gave me $15 refund, so I wasn't too steamed about it.

I currently have 7 HT figures on Pre-order btw, so I guess I'm not over them yet.

I'm just getting into HT - their detail is just blowing my mind and making it hard to resist.

So far I have on order/pre-order:

Sweeney Todd
Batman Begins
Batman 89
Joker 89
Superman
Capt. Jack Sparrow DX

I hope whatever they come out with next is something I have zero interest in because these are taking a big chunk out of my wallet.

Ive brought about 40 Ht's figs over the years and sold about 15 of them to narrow down the lines i collect as they just keep pumping them out.

Now i have about 80 figs and im running out of room so im cutting down even more.

The price increase is a factor as well but im just thankfull i have most of the figures i want atm, but i will pay whatever to get a hot toys Hulk though :)

I like how Hot toys is very good at seducing us by creating fabulous images from what we cherished as children. its like a prostitute you dont care how much it costs because they have already lured in your primitive needs and desires

52 on my shelves so far (fast catching Sideshow) and another few on order. As long as they keep making 'em so good, I'll keep buying 'em.

I'm barking mad, of course and quite poor now!:cuckoo:

I wonder if the recent spike in HT prices is a just a ploy to get people to stop complaining about Sideshow's prices...? After all, now $100 for a Cantina Band Member doesn't seem so bad.

But seriously, even though I was willing to pay $200 for Superman, I passed at their $200 T1 figure and am skipping the '89 Batman stuff. A couple of years ago, I hesitated before spending $150 on the Godfather -- but now he seems like quite the bargain. Unless their prices dip back under $200, I think I'm done.

Fantastic pieces, however.

I remember back when PFs were around $180. I thought nobody would be crazy enough to buy those at that price. And now thats a basic HT figure price. Its shocking how things have changed in just a few short years. :eek:

These 2 DX's in 1 year willbe like $600.00 each on eBayville.:slap

Last edited:

Im not over HT at all, Im getting into them MORE than before.
Im getting a lot pickier about what PFs and Comms I buy, so that collecting has slowed down and the HT 1/6 has picked up.

The HT bubble will burst eventually. It happens to everything collectible, non-sports cards, comic books, etc...

I want something more substantial for my money, a statue, PF, 1:4 or 1:3 scale, LSB. HTs are too fragile and don't deliver enough bang for the buck. The prices are insane! Over $200 for one 12" figure?! More power to you if you think it's worth it.

WRONG!!!!!

HT are more viable than PF's and Comiquettes, one of my Silver Surfer comiquette arms broke, luckily it comes with two sets, but the foot claw on X-23 has also snapped easily, and these things CAN'T be replaced if they happen after 30 days, where as with HT you can searh the internet to buy the pieces.

HT can be fixed, Statues can't once they brake, they're ruined for good.

The increase in prices sucks, but hasn't really affected my buying habits too much. I do keep selling my older stuff to pay for the newer stuff, and the fact that HT figures tend to appreciate in value enough to cover the retail costs of these newer figures helps there. But of course, that strategy wouldn't work for folks who can't let go of their older stuff. Since I tend to get tired of things after displaying them awhile, this method works for me.

I'm still down w/ HT. Price jump makes it harder, but as long as they keep making great stuff, I'll stay a customer. I'm just glad this stuff took off when I was already an employed adult. If I was 22 and broke I'd be pretty disappointed.

Back