Is anyone else just kind of "over" Hot Toys or Not?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Is anyone else just kind of "over" Hot Toys?

I used to own about 10 Hot Toys figures - including OC Bats and I have sold every single one now. I used to love them and love my display but for so long I didn't even glance in their direction and if I did look at them, I would think "meh". Then I realised how much money was sitting on my shelf and decided I would rather get my money back than have them sitting there collecting dust. I got £300 for OC Bats alone and after being single for a while and girls I was seeing being put off with my Hot Toys display - I am now in a relationship since I don't own them anymore! Go figure!

And the prices now are MENTAL! £500 for the new Bruce Wayne / Batman fig????? WTF????

The increase in prices sucks, but hasn't really affected my buying habits too much. I do keep selling my older stuff to pay for the newer stuff, and the fact that HT figures tend to appreciate in value enough to cover the retail costs of these newer figures helps there. But of course, that strategy wouldn't work for folks who can't let go of their older stuff. Since I tend to get tired of things after displaying them awhile, this method works for me.

Been contemplating on that option for some time now, but I belong to the other group of people who can't let go. I mean I just can't think of letting go of my Paquet's - A Dark Winter's Knight snow-globe or the Bisley Clock-Tower statue just to fund new HT releases. Yes, I might sound stupid to many, but that's just me. Don't know, but doesn't selling the old stuff for new defeats the whole purpose of collecting? I was a statue collector, got into HT just last year. The whole frenzy of purchasing the awesome HT figures was blinding and after some wrong financial moves, I am left in the lurch now, where I can neither go back to my statue collection nor pursue HT. Understood one thing though, its just me who's to be blamed if I want to get over something and not HT or any other company. :(

Prices are too high for me to justify spending that type of money on 12 inch dolls/action figures whatever. I'll cherry pick even more now than I already do.

I just find it pretty ridiculous that you can buy a brand new PS3 for cheaper than the new DX Joker. :lol

Prices are too high for me to justify spending that type of money on 12 inch dolls/action figures whatever. I'll cherry pick even more now than I already do.

I just find it pretty ridiculous that you can buy a brand new PS3 for cheaper than the new DX Joker. :lol

Its all just perspective my friend. I get more enjoyment out of owning a DX Joker than a console game that I play for a week, beat and am sick of. It's just all in how you see it.

I'm definately over Hot Toys. Looking forward to 2012 and beyond they've got '89 Batman, Avengers, Metal Gear Solid, The Dark Knight Rises, Amazing Spider-Man, Sleepy Hollow, Star Wars etc there's just nothing there to get excited over.

Yeah, don't get me wrong - there's still some great stuff coming out.

But for me, none of it is must-have. MAYBE SW, but not Bespin Luke. We'll see what they can do. Maybe Luke and Han from the first movie.

Yep. Unfortunately I *do* like CA:TFA that much so HT has me by the gonads for any figures/vehicles they make from that movie. Probably SW and Avatar too. :slap

Yeah, for me it really does come down to price.

I still have Supes on pre-order but the '89 Batman stuff is just too pricey... Supes is enough to represent DC on my shelves.

Price is getting way too high now. I was shocked at the price of the joker and 89 Batman. When a toy cost $230 to $270, thats really hard to swallow.

Perhaps that's the problem - the misconception that Hot Toys are actually "toys." Sideshow changed their name a long time ago away from Sideshow Toys to Sideshow Collectibles, and despite the origins of the 1/6 hobby in the GI Joe dolls of the '60s, Hot Toys figures really aren't toys.

Would you consider giving an HT to a child to play army with in the back yard?

I'm still down w/ HT. Price jump makes it harder, but as long as they keep making great stuff, I'll stay a customer. I'm just glad this stuff took off when I was already an employed adult. If I was 22 and broke I'd be pretty disappointed.

I feel the same way. Six years ago I wouldn't be able to partake in this hobby, but now I can. And what a great time to be in this hobby with the amazing figures that keep coming out. Not to mention all the great customs that are available.

I think they are going to price themselves out of the market pretty soon for a lot of collectors. They are reaching PF prices which is pretty crazy.

:exactly: Collecting Hot Toys Nowadays Is Getting Out Of Hand!

Perhaps that's the problem - the misconception that Hot Toys are actually "toys." Sideshow changed their name a long time ago away from Sideshow Toys to Sideshow Collectibles, and despite the origins of the 1/6 hobby in the GI Joe dolls of the '60s, Hot Toys figures really aren't toys.

Would you consider giving an HT to a child to play army with in the back yard?

:exactly::goodpost:

Calling these figures toys is like calling a motorcycle or a car your toy. These are big toys for big boys!

If you aren't enjoying the figures when you get them or don't have the room to display them or can't afford them - and regret spending the money or leave them in the boxes - then you should stop.

From my perspective, we're in a 1/6th renaissance right now. HT has driven every other company to up their game (including Sideshow), and have set the bar in bringing new fans and new respectability to the hobby.

The ever increasing prices is an issue - but there will always be people to buy these limited edition figures.

Yes. Hot toys has really brought the 1/6th hobby to the attention of the wider geek community. 6 or 7 years ago it was a small hobby restricted mainly to guys who are into military stuff.

And i think if hot toys plays its cards rights, they can continue milking the community for many years to come. For every 35 year old who decides to call it a day cuz of a new kid, there is a young 24 year old who has just entered the work force without family obligations and ready to preorder.

Ironically, the only thing that would kill hot toys or at least diminish their high profit margin is Hollywood. If hollywood keeps up this latest crazy trend of rehashing old films then ht might have a bit of a problem.

Last edited:

Yes. Hot toys has really brought the 1/6th hobby to the attention of the wider geek community. 6 or 7 years ago it was a small hobby restricted mainly to guys who are into military stuff.

And i think if hot toys plays its cards rights, they can continue miking the community for many years to come.

True, But Everything Must One Day Fall, I Just Hope I Enjoy My Journey!

Ironically, the only thing that would kill hot toys or at least diminish their high profit margin is Hollywood. If hollywood keeps up this latest crazy trend of rehashing old films then ht might have a bit of a problem.

I'm curious. Why do you say that?

:exactly::goodpost:

Calling these figures toys is like calling a motorcycle or a car your toy. These are big toys for big boys!

Come on!

They're JUST toys! Nothing else!

They've just been renamed "collectibles" not to hurt the feelings of us, grown up nerds, who want to think they're not kid anymore.

That's just a decoy, no more than a euphemism. They're just GI Joes, only with higher, questionable, prices... :(

Now if it makes you feel better calling them collectibles... :)

Since when did you have to own a product to appreciate the company that produces it? Hot Toys is producing amazing stuff and they're only going to get better. I can't wait to see what they've got in store for us in he future, whether i buy them or not is irrelevant.

It's just the prices for me... I don't feel they will be picking up any licenses that matter to me after the 1989 Batman stuff... at least i hope, so i will be able to take a break from them after next March.

M.

Come on!

They've just been renamed "collectibles" not to hurt the feelings of us, grown up nerds, who want to think they're not kid anymore.

That's just a decoy, no more than a euphemism. They're just GI Joes, only with higher, questionable, prices... :(

They're not toys in the sense that if you try to play with them, they will break. They're not designed to endure the normal wear and tear that toys go through. No one should be buying these things under the assumption that they could survive a 7 year old

Come on!

I agree, at the end of the day they are toys, action figures, dolls, etc. Hell, they are even called Hot Toys. lol

Are they made for kids? No. Are they of super high quality? Yes. Does the fact you can't buy them at Target and not give them to your 6 year old mean they aren't toys? No. It means they are just toys for you.

They're not toys in the sense that if you try to play with them, they will break. They're not designed to endure the normal wear and tear that toys go through. No one should be buying these things under the assumption that they could survive a 7 year old

Now, there you're right!

You'd have to be crazy or filthy rich to put this kind of toy in the gands of a kid!

... now when I come to think about it, I wouldn't let my vintage Joes in the hands of a kid too! :D

toy
   [toi]
–noun
1. an object, often a small representation of something familiar, as an animal or person, for children or others to play with; plaything.
2. a thing or matter of little or no value or importance; a trifle.
3. something that serves for or as if for diversion, rather than for serious pratical use.
4. a small article of little value but prized as a souvenir or for some other special reason; trinket; knickknack; bauble.
5. something diminutive, especially in comparison with like objects.

Back