Iron Man Mark II Maquette by Sideshow Collectibles

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah and the HT finish looks even better in person. I owned that figure.

Yeah, the HT Mark II it's actually really nice. I have one and it's really shiny in hand. Most pictures don't seem to capture that but here are some that do:

iron-man-mark2-header.jpg

mark23.jpg

You telling me the number one company around, associated with the studio that actually made the armor for the movie, can't achieve a similar (or better) look? Y4NK33 PL4N3T is right when he says people got stop making excuses for sideshow.

:exactly:

Good question. But, they have showcased SIX different Iron Man statues in less than a year so why does this need a massive production run? :dunno

:goodpost:

Actually you just gave me an idea... read on

As I predicted 2 weeks ago....Sideshow were never gonna get this brushed metallic paint effect right :ohbfrank: this was made obvious after there dismal attempt of their MKII lifesize bust :huh On the plus side I don't have to fly to Canada to kiss Spidey's bottom! :rock

u4u4ubut.jpg

When you're right, you're right Andy. I wish you were wrong though! I bet Spidey does too :lol

I wish he was wrong, but not for that reason. I want this to please all collectors, and closer to the movie would definetly please more.... On another note if he goes anywhere NEAR my bottom... well

6160%20-%20Ernest_%22The_Cat%22_Miller%20autoplay_gif%20gif%20jackknife_powerbomb%20jeff_jarrett%20kevin_nash%20kick%20referee%20the_great_american_bash%20wcw.gif

Yeah, the HT Mark II it's actually really nice. I have one and it's really shiny in hand. Most pictures don't seem to capture that but here are some that do:

View attachment 122888

View attachment 122889

You telling me the number one company around, associated with the studio that actually made the armor for the movie, can't achieve a similar (or better) look? Y4NK33 PL4N3T is right when he says people got stop making excuses for sideshow.

First of all how about you don't tell others what they can and can not do. I don't tell you not to be a Crazed Byrne Crack Whore so give me some space....lol. I made my point, and as far as I am concerned they aren't excuses and have been backed up by someone who has tried the chrome effect with the help of a professional, and like I was told it isn't an easy thing. You may also be surprised to hear that I do think the HotToys look is better, but I am pretty sure I got the reason when it comes to this one. The Hottoys paint job looks very uniform, and that is fairly easy to achieve when you can take the ENTIRE piece apart, and then paint the individual pieces before you reassemble it. It is way faster then trying to hand paint something like a 1/4 fairly solid piece. Also, the materials that they are painting are completely different and therefore the paint will behave differently. Now, I am SURE that SSC could get closer, but that may depend on a lot of different things including how long they have available to produce these things, and what the talents are of the painters in China. I think the 1/5 Spidey Com has proven that the artists who paint these things vary in skill level from the very good to the basically less talented than my 6 year old. Also, lets give them some time. This one looks rushed for the CON to me... So maybe they can do better before it goes up for PO. Which brings me to my fantastic idea

I don't think they should try to chrome paint all of these if they can't do it right, BUT I think they should ACTUALLY chrome a select few pieces. Put them in the fume hood and get the job done RIGHT. Maybe 250-500 if they can, and THAT could be the EX. That would be the BEST EX I could think of for this piece, and it would give the EXTREMELY picky something to go after in a BIG WAY. Oh and if they did it they should put the ES up IMMEDIATELY!!! No TBD BS so that guys KNOW how limited it is. Hell an email 2 days earlier with the ES and Preorder time just so no one whines that they missed out. Now come on guys you have to admit that it is ....

PnP.gif

Y4NK33 PL4N3T you had a good point...lol

Actually you just gave me an idea... read on

I wish he was wrong, but not for that reason. I want this to please all collectors, and closer to the movie would definetly please more.... On another note if he goes anywhere NEAR my bottom... well

6160%20-%20Ernest_%22The_Cat%22_Miller%20autoplay_gif%20gif%20jackknife_powerbomb%20jeff_jarrett%20kevin_nash%20kick%20referee%20the_great_american_bash%20wcw.gif

:rotfl

Which brings me to my fantastic idea:

I don't think they should try to chrome paint all of these if they can't do it right, BUT I think they should ACTUALLY chrome a select few pieces. Put them in the fume hood and get the job done RIGHT. Maybe 250-500 if they can, and THAT could be the EX. That would be the BEST EX I could think of for this piece, and it would give the EXTREMELY picky something to go after in a BIG WAY. Oh and if they did it they should put the ES up IMMEDIATELY!!! No TBD BS so that guys KNOW how limited it is. Hell an email 2 days earlier with the ES and Preorder time just so no one whines that they missed out. Now come on guys you have to admit that it is ....

PnP.gif

giphy.gif

That would turn this around completely. :goodpost: :clap

Y4NK33 PL4N3T you had a good point...lol

Thank you sir! :hi5:

First of all how about you don't tell others what they can and can not do. I don't tell you not to be a Crazed Byrne Crack Whore so give me some space....lol. I made my point, and as far as I am concerned they aren't excuses and bla bla bla...

I wasn't even saying that with you in mind. I said "people make excuses for sideshow"... not "spidey makes excuses for sideshow". You're all mad over nothing. :dunno

I wasn't even saying that with you in mind. I said "people make excuses for sideshow"... not "spidey makes excuses for sideshow". You're all mad over nothing. :dunno

Lol you missed the "Lols" m8 I wasn't really angry. Just was saying that those of us you are offering the other side aren't making excuses. Just looking at different angles.

More controversy as this pic clearly shows that achieving the correct movie accurate brushed metallic faceplate for the MKII armour is actually possible!!! Worse still is that this faceplate was painted by Legacy Effects, the company that is supposed to be in collaboration with Sideshow!!! WTF!?!? :huh

anapupyr.jpg

But instead we get...

u5anydy5.jpg

Same thing for the Sideshow Iron Man MKII lifesize bust!

Again painted by Legacy Effects:

9eqe6e3a.jpg

But instead we get this:

be6a9epe.jpg

yup, that's exactly what bothered me at SDCC...completely flat matte paints with no detail to make it feel metallic. Mark 42 was even worse if you can imagine...

I feel like any Iron Man statue Sideshow comes out with will never compare to Mark I and Mark VI

Really depressing.

I hear what your saying Eric :) It is depressing and it isn't...as an Iron Man fan, I'd rather have something than nothing at all, so as much as it pains me to see such blunders by Sideshows design team when my pics clearly show that producing a brushed metallic effect on the armour IS actually a possibility yet what we actually receive is totally Matte, I'd still prefer to have these in my collection (cos I know pretty much that no other company is gonna be making all these armours (MK1 through to MKVII) in 1/4 scale. I guess I'm looking through my Iron Man spectacles as I write this :lol :lol but you know what I mean right ;)

yup, that's exactly what bothered me at SDCC...completely flat matte paints with no detail to make it feel metallic. Mark 42 was even worse if you can imagine...

Hey Satoshi, yea...its such a frustrating feeling when you know that the paint apps could've been better, and more still, that they should've been better being a prototype and all :dunno I seriously feel that Sideshow have definitely been cutting corners of late, especially regarding their Iron Man collectibles and there really shouldn't be any excuses when you have the Legacy Effects team on your side

I feel like any Iron Man statue Sideshow comes out with will never compare to Mark I and Mark VI

Yea, the Iron Man MKI was a beauty as was the MKVI, but the latter of the two also had its fair share of QC issues also...overall though, the MKI, MKVI and the original War Machine Maquette were big winners :)

I hear what your saying Eric :) It is depressing and it isn't...as an Iron Man fan, I'd rather have something than nothing at all, so as much as it pains me to see such blunders by Sideshows design team when my pics clearly show that producing a brushed metallic effect on the armour IS actually a possibility yet what we actually receive is totally Matte, I'd still prefer to have these in my collection (cos I know pretty much that no other company is gonna be making all these armours (MK1 through to MKVII) in 1/4 scale. I guess I'm looking through my Iron Man spectacles as I write this :lol :lol but you know what I mean right ;)

Yes Andy, I know what you mean. I used to feel that way, that I'd rather have something than nothing at all. There's a few reasons I don't look at it that way anymore though, with the first being that I don't want to purchase a 1/4 piece I don't really love. If the piece is really off to the point where it bothers me every time I look at it, then it isn't worth owning to me, as it will cause me more grief than joy. Then I'd have to go through the headache of selling it. If I had a ton of space to display statues I might make an exception and hide a sub par statue in the back somewhere lol, but atm my space to display 1/4 scale is limited and I will only buy statues that I feel are stellar independently. I've given almost no thought to this Sideshow 1/4 Mk 2 since proto pics surfaced, that's something I'd never thought I'd say. This piece would have to go back to the drawing board entirely with it's pose and employ a new, accurate, metallic paint app to even spark my interest again, but I'm pretty sure neither of those are ever happening. I do hope you enjoy it my friend.

Yes Andy, I know what you mean. I used to feel that way, that I'd rather have something than nothing at all. There's a few reasons I don't look at it that way anymore though, with the first being that I don't want to purchase a 1/4 piece I don't really love. If the piece is really off to the point where it bothers me every time I look at it, then it isn't worth owning to me, as it will cause me more grief than joy. Then I'd have to go through the headache of selling it. If I had a ton of space to display statues I might make an exception and hide a sub par statue in the back somewhere lol, but atm my space to display 1/4 scale is limited and I will only buy statues that I feel are stellar independently. I've given almost no thought to this Sideshow 1/4 Mk 2 since proto pics surfaced, that's something I'd never thought I'd say. This piece would have to go back to the drawing board entirely with it's pose and employ a new, accurate, metallic paint app to even spark my interest again, but I'm pretty sure neither of those are ever happening.

Yea, totally understand your point of view Eric and good for you to be one of those to stand strong against Sideshows misdameanors...I for one am as weak as hell :lol so i'll still be ordering the entire line, despite not seeing MKIII, MKV or the MKVII yet ;)

So the problems I have with this MKII are as follows:

* Pose is somewhat weak but more worrying is that the whole pose and base together do not relate to any part of the movie whatsoever or at least what we actually saw :huh the working gantry was never shown during the movie in relation to the MKII suit, infact, all we saw was the MKII just before the test flight scene and by then he was already suited up and the gantry was not in sight. The only time we see the gantry in use is when he is wearing his MKIII suit. So this whole pose/base design is bizarre to say the least

* I think we all agree that the worse problem with this piece is the non metallic finish (which is fundamental for a MKII collectible to really work)...again, the pics I posted yesterday showing a pic of brushed metallic 1/4 faceplate painted by Legacy Effects themselves was another kick in the chops

* Lastly, the other problem which relates to Legacy Effects is the total price of this piece. Its no doubt that that with all Iron Man collectibles that feature the brand name 'Legacy Effects', it adds a premium to the overall cost...but why should it when Sideshow clearly do not use their expertise in creating the correct movie accurate Iron Man collectible that we collectors deserve :dunno

Here is proof that Legacy Effects can create the correct look

vynyqutu.jpg

6uhajyra.jpg

Legacy works with SS... Come again :lol. Definitely on that beautiful WM Bust Andy

For sure...put the original war machine maquette in there too.

Hey Satoshi, yea...its such a frustrating feeling when you know that the paint apps could've been better, and more still, that they should've been better being a prototype and all :dunno I seriously feel that Sideshow have definitely been cutting corners of late, especially regarding their Iron Man collectibles and there really shouldn't be any excuses when you have the Legacy Effects team on your side

Yea, the Iron Man MKI was a beauty as was the MKVI, but the latter of the two also had its fair share of QC issues also...overall though, the MKI, MKVI and the original War Machine Maquette were big winners :)

I'm guessing you will just have them repainted anyway right Andy!! :lol:lol

I'm guessing you will just have them repainted anyway right Andy!! :lol:lol

Now that I've got children i've retired now bro :lol :lol only kidding ;) I'm repainting my custom G1 Megatron half scale statue as we speak and its proving to take a lot longer than I expected :( but in all seriousness, achieving the correct brushed metallic look is something I'd like to leave to the experts and is way beyond anything I could ever do. I'm talking about someone like Rafael maybe? I'd put him down as one of the best customisers out there at the moment...but then to get something repainted isn't gonna come cheap :horror

Now that I've got children i've retired now bro :lol :lol only kidding ;) I'm repainting my custom G1 Megatron half scale statue as we speak and its proving to take a lot longer than I expected :( but in all seriousness, achieving the correct brushed metallic look is something I'd like to leave to the experts and is way beyond anything I could ever do. I'm talking about someone like Rafael maybe? I'd put him down as one of the best customisers out there at the moment...but then to get something repainted isn't gonna come cheap :horror

I hope they do the IP justice and HOPEFULLY either mark III or VII turns out great. If they redo pose on mark V, and they improve their paint, I would love that as well. I'm just hoping the matte look of 42 was just an anomaly since the gold from the movie feels a bit more matte than the gold had been on past armors. Still, thats no excuse for what they had at SDCC. PLEEEEAAAASE SSC, redo these paint jobs and I will buy them all!!!!

Back