Iron Man mark I-VII diecast figures are a very real possibility now...

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Once the dust settles in a few years time, what will be their next cash cow?

The aggressive release schedule of their Starwars stuff suggests that license, I'd say. Couple the original movies with the new trilogy coming out, and that could do very well for them. Apparently, the stuff doesn't do that well in China according to Budget Stark though.

I'm 47 and I'm at the age that this run will probably be my only and last bout with buying Hot Toys

In other words I don't anticipate feeling the desire to buy any figures from a rebooted franchise after RDJ or any on the other Avengers are gone.

I grew up with 12" actions figures that are hilarious by todays standards so I feel privileged to have the opportunity to buy these and don't really want to dilute that experience by purchasing a new Mark 1 with a different actors face in it.

I can't imagine anyone other than RDJ playing the character at this point. Trying to reboot it would be an absolute disaster, better to just let it stand and wheel out another, similar character to fill the void.

The aggressive release schedule of their Starwars stuff suggests that license, I'd say. Couple the original movies with the new trilogy coming out, and that could do very well for them. Apparently, the stuff doesn't do that well in China according to Budget Stark though.

That's a good point. I think he's right though, while it does have a following the East's not as big on Star Wars as the West is. Seriously questionable if there will ever be something with the same international, near-universal appeal as Iron Man.

I think the next big thing for the west is coming this year. It's the natural progression. It's beginning to be not all about iron man now, but superheroes in general. As long as we get marvel and DC movies we will have great fun collections.

I realised that last week too. I think my exact reaction was 'what the **** Hot Toys?' :lol Would have been laughably simple to mount those plates on magnets and include busted up alternate parts.

One thing that's going to be interesting to see: once Avengers 2 is out of the way, we've got a possible extended appearance in Captain America: Civil War and the Avengers Infinity War double feature and then Marvel's done with Iron Man due to RDJ bowing out due to his age and contract expiring. Beyond whatever appears in those films and new versions of Mk I-VII, possibly War Machine Mk I too, there'll be nothing else left that Hot Toys can reasonably exploit Iron Man-wise without the law of diminishing returns setting in. Maybe 1/4 scale figures of the greatest hits, but even those would cater to a more limited audience due to the size and price.

Once the dust settles in a few years time, what will be their next cash cow?
Well unless Marvel do recast at some point I see two options for HT;

1. Keep putting out revamped versions of the I to whatever we end up at by the end of Avengers 4.... or 2. Start on the comic book armors.

1. Keep putting out revamped versions of the I to whatever we end up at by the end of Avengers 4.... or 2. Start on the comic book armors.

The comic book armours would be pretty cool, wouldn't mind seeing them do that. :)

I'd be up for that if it meant I could finally get a good figure of this beauty:

ironman-mvc2-vs.jpg

ironmanattack.gif

The Model 13 Modular Armour. Apart from being a great-looking design, you may remember it less for the comics and more for Marvel Vs Capcom and the 90's animated series. The closest to a good figure it's ever gotten has been a dubious Marvel Legends release from Toy Biz as part of a two-pack that now goes for silly money.

I just don't get the appeal of the whole body-builder in spandex tights thing...

Well it's not supposed to be spandex is it, it's moveable metal (as far as I'm aware)..., I've always allowed for the drawings in the comics or the animation, spandex would kind of defeat the object of being called Iron Man though after all, wouldn't it?!? lol ;)

I mean more as a comic staple art style. Sure maybe it's a titanium-spandex alloy in this instance.

Oh right, I see what you mean now..., well I'm glad they changed the look for the movies. I prefer the new movies Iron Man suits, they are very cool..., my dad prefers the classic look though as he grew up with the comics, I guess there's a favourite for everyone though. :)

Well it's not supposed to be spandex is it, it's moveable metal (as far as I'm aware)..., I've always allowed for the drawings in the comics or the animation, spandex would kind of defeat the object of being called Iron Man though after all, wouldn't it?!? lol ;)

The comics explanation was that the flexible gold sections were a kind of nano-scale chainmail, effectively. An ultra-fine, ultra-durable composite mesh of alloys.

The comics explanation was that the flexible gold sections were a kind of nano-scale chainmail, effectively. An ultra-fine, ultra-durable composite mesh of alloys.

I read somewhere that it was like a symbiot relationship, Wikipedia I think but I didn't understand why. lol

I read somewhere that it was like a symbiot relationship, Wikipedia I think but I didn't understand why. lol

The Extremis story arc from a few years back introduced an undersuit that was stored in Stark's bones and could be activated by thought, along with the concept of him altering his body to become a post-human. That was followed up with the Bleeding Edge suit in Matt Fraction's abominable run that was stored entirely in Stark's body, then the entire concept was jettisoned for a while and a more traditional suit (except in black and gold) introduced, now in the current run Stark is some kind of supervillain and his latest suit is a mixture of nanotechnology and Venom symbiote biology linked psychically to his mind and allegedly 'alive'.

This is why I don't read mainstream comics anymore.

Cool, thanks for explaining that for me. :) & great picture..., think I'm going to have to read up on this, looks very interesting.

There is the current title Superior Iron Man, in which Tony actually uses elements from a symbiote to create his latest armor.

Back