Indiana Jones - Way too dark?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's a legitimate gripe. As was already demonstrated, there is a difference in paint mixes. Some got the light paint, others the dark mix. The Ex vs. Reg argument doesn't really have any validity because I have the Ex. and both heads are dark. It's really just luck of the draw but since I'm not the only one complaining there are others who aren't happy with theirs as well. So it's a take it or leave it option but that doesn't mean we have to be satisfied with a poor paint mix because Sideshow's QC can't tell night from day or in this case black from white.

The painting quality of Sideshow pieces seems not to be consistent.(not even referring to the dark skin)
This way it will always be a luck of draw, or you have to keep buying the same piece until you are satisfied.

If someone is unhappy with an item and wants to post their gripes, what is the big deal? It sure beats reading about someone complaining about someone complaining. :rolleyes:

Ditto.

...and I hate this 'send it back for a refund' crap. I want the item...I just want it to look the way it is supposed to look. I don't want to send it back, I want them to try and fix what they messed up. What's wrong with that?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/-kzSTWvKBU4&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/-kzSTWvKBU4&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I'm returning mine. Too dark in the skin tone, too green in the jacket, and the overall quality of the face paint wasn't up to standard. It reminded me of the paint on my Angel PF, which I was never happy with and wound up selling.

I could tell that the sculpt beneath the sub-standard paint was excellent, and the overall costuming was about perfect. But something went south at the factory.

Maybe I'll pick up another one at a later date, but I'd have to see pics of it before I bought it. Too inconsistent.

Here's a video of mine next to a Star Wars figure...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVxf_TQ-7uM

Edit - Be sure to click on the "Watch in high quality" link just under the video window for the better version.

Exclusive #574. I just didn't feel like putting the other head on. The head sculpt is a little different on this piece, it includes a good part of his chest, like what would be shown in a V-Neck T-Shirt. So it's a little tricky to fit it all under the shirt and jacket at first.

Edit: See what I mean...

IMG_1140.jpg

IMG_1143.jpg
Here in my video see how at 1.51 he changes color
I did a video of the PF here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ah25jtHsFA0
watch it High Quailty and around 1.51 as I change the lighting.
All he needs some lighting from underneath him

Photos of my Reg. Some regs look the same as the EX. But in Faken's case it's down to a bad paint job by Sideshow
DSCF1118.jpg

DSCF1120.jpg

Yeah in that last video, the hand looks almost the same as the head in color... look a my video, it's nowhere close to the same. You can add all the light you want, all you're doing is lighting up his dark brown face lol!

Btw mine is now in the mail off to Joe Dunaway for a repaint as I type this...

Yeah in that last video, the hand looks almost the same as the head in color... look a my video, it's nowhere close to the same. You can add all the light you want, all you're doing is lighting up his dark brown face lol!

Btw mine is now in the mail off to Joe Dunaway for a repaint as I type this...

looking at the EX' photos I have to say my Reg is the same color. Even the lighter Indy's still look dark in certain light though. But looking at how dark yours was, especially compared to his hand color, I can't blame you for getting a repaint

Last edited:
I just used some of my wifes makup on my Indy PF to lighten him up a little, worked pretty good the dark paint is actually not that far off.

The problem is Indy is not tanned, he's tanned and sunburned... so he should actually be tan/red in the face, not chocolate brown. I downloaded a ton of reference shots for the painter and not one has him dark tanned brown. And at the beginning, he's not even tanned, it was only later in the film.

This is how he looks when retrieving the idol:

Raiders_of_the_Lost_Ark_2.jpg

And here he is more tanned... but even then you can see the tone is red, not brown (which is typical for a Caucasian) :

indiana_jones_wearing_his_hat.jpg

indiana-jones-fedora-hat-5.jpg

Those shots are kinda inconsistent... The last shot was from the jungle OPENER. So it's actually the very first scene we see Indy. And he's pretty burned and tan there. I think that first shot is just lit different. You can see the difference that the shot has from the rest, even with the clothing... the hat and coat look almost black in that first shot, rather than the chocolate brown we all know as the actual color.

Indy skintone is hard to nail down. I think the bar scene was one of the first scenes shot for the film, even the gun switched there... with Indy firing an automatic instead of the pistol, and then back to the pistol. And that whole set piece is the only place he wasn't as sunburned. Once the production moved to Tunisia, the burn got worse naturally over the course of the shoot. So you can see Indy looking pretty red in some of those scenes.

The key is to do tanned skin, but not "naturally dark skin person" tan like Sideshow did it. It has to be more of what a lighter skinned person tan, which is more red on the cheeks, nose and brow than anything. It's more on an overall orange hue than brown, and the factory seemed to get that wrong.

It really is a shame too, seeing as though the sculpt and clothing overall were very well done. It's really hard to stay excited as you take it out of the packaging, as you realize how much work will have to go into it to make it look the way it should.

Same here, as posted in the main image thread:

Indy_front.jpg

That is under super ideal conditions, he looks even darker normally in person.
Frankly I'd be more then happy if he looked anything like 1 of those 3 film grabs, but he doesn't. Returns aren't an option, not since it was an international dealer purchase, so I just have to live with a very bad, very 'black' paint job. Making the Fell Beast vs Eagle dio my best for 2008.

Back