Indiana Jones - Way too dark?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah well.. either way I'm getting mine repainted... I love the statue so no sense getting rid of it. Moria Orc was easy to drop, but this Indy is just too nice to let go, so hopefully the repaint saves the day! LOL!

I went into my local comic store that carries some figures and PFs and saw their PF Indy on display. It was incredibly dark. It looked like many of the pictures posted on this thread. If there were any doubts for me that it could be just a bad photo or lighting, they were erased by seeing this first hand in person. The color is wrong. Not an opinion. No bad photo. No bad lighting. They painted Indy the wrong color.

Exactly, while there are some variations (maybe to be expected), you know instantly when you see a very dark Indy, you just don't think he's a white man.

Well like I said earlier in this thread, my Indy is fairly dark, but I have one of those Halogen white lights on him, and it makes him look great, not dark at all.

Well like I said earlier in this thread, my Indy is fairly dark, but I have one of those Halogen white lights on him, and it makes him look great, not dark at all.

Halogen vs. Polystone.

:horror:horror:horror:horror:horror:horror

:sick:sick:sick:sick

Halogen vs. Polystone.

:horror:horror:horror:horror:horror:horror

:sick:sick:sick:sick

Care to elaborate man? It's not like I have it right up against him, and besides it barely gives off any heat at all. I think it only uses like 15 watts of power, and as far as I know it's a Halogen light, it's one of those wall mounted ones. Something I should know that's bad about those kind of lights? Can anyone explain?

EDIT: I just checked and it's actually a Fluorescent light, my bad. I don't know why I had Halogen stuck in my mind. The only lights I use are Fluorescent's and those spiral energy saving light bulbs. I use regular light bulbs also, Incandescent's I think they're called, but as far as I know they don't harm statues, and I don't use anything higher than 60 watts, and it isn't right up against anything. Granted one of the Fluorescent's is near a few statues, but like I said they give off such little heat, I don't think they would harm anything? And besides I don't have them on all the time. Okay my rant is done lol.

Last edited:
I'd be interested to know if there's an issue with halogen lights as well. I have a little 20 watt halogen desk lamp with a glass "UV filter" that I sometimes aim at the PF when the room is dark.

The paint job on Indy really is sort of complex. With proper lighting, you wouldn't think Indy was dark at all, and his tan appears to be an appropriate Caucasian red. Under many room lighting situations though, he can appear a bit on the swarthy side.

I personally don't mind that, but if Sideshow makes another Indy PF in the future, they may want to take into account that most collectors won't be displaying him in museum quality conditions.

SS seems to screw everything up these days. Alot of the human paint apps have problems. I'm still pissed about Indy, I guess I gotta get my $280.00 figure repainted.

At first I was okay with it but having him on display the wonderful features on the sculpt are enveloped by darkness. Off for a reapaint....

SS seems to screw everything up these days. Alot of the human paint apps have problems. I'm still pissed about Indy, I guess I gotta get my $280.00 figure repainted.
Same for me, I'm gonna have it repainted. I display my PF's in a room without sunlight and no additional lights besides one big room light which works great with all other figures such as Aragorn, Luke & Yoda or Obi Wan & Vader... Indy however only looks great under direct sunlight. I wouldn't say SS totally messed up in this case but it's definitely not perfect, and that's what a figure should be if it's costing me almost $400 shipped.

I'm just about to buy an Indy and now I'm hearing about all these bad paint jobs?? Has anyone in the UK experianced thus problem. I originally had to cancel mine from Sideshow just before Christmas due to lack of cash. Now I was going to buy one from Play.com or Forbidden Planet, but is it worth the hassle of reposted such a huge parcel if something is wrong with it.

I'll have to take a comparisson picture but mine doesn't seem too dark.

Mine either. It looks fine to me. In a darker set-up, potentially, I can see what people mean but I don't keep mine in the closet or tucked away in a dark room with poor lighting. I think it's just a matter of preference. In taking the pics, you can make him look extremely dark or not. We've already seen evidence of that. It really depends on which side of the argument you're on. I've seen 4 others in person at my local comic shops and they don't seem dark either. In any case, he's a great PF and arguably Sideshow's finest so I wouldn't pass up an opportunity to nab him so too dark or not, if you have the spare cash it's worth it.

I'm just about to buy an Indy and now I'm hearing about all these bad paint jobs?? Has anyone in the UK experianced thus problem. I originally had to cancel mine from Sideshow just before Christmas due to lack of cash. Now I was going to buy one from Play.com or Forbidden Planet, but is it worth the hassle of reposted such a huge parcel if something is wrong with it.

You'll have a job mate both are sold out. I had to phone the London FP and got lucky they shipped me the last one. Apparently Liverpool have one left but from the guy I know that works there he said it's a tanned one. Hopefully mine will be okay, it's on it's way now for delivery on monday. Will keep you posted.

I wouldn't say SS totally messed up in this case but it's definitely not perfect, and that's what a figure should be if it's costing me almost $400 shipped.

Sorry to hear the price is so high including the shipping fee.

But if Sideshow hadn't released this PF, let's be honest -- at least some of us here would have seriously been tempted to pay over $1000 for the Cinemaquette statue.

Sideshow's done a fantastic job with this figure, and that can't be overstated.

It's still a great statue, and lighting does make a big difference. If your a Indy fan I would still get it.

I think it's just a matter of preference. In taking the pics, you can make him look extremely dark or not. We've already seen evidence of that. It really depends on which side of the argument you're on.

sorry mate, but its not a matter of preference or pics, some, like mine are just plain very dark. I shouldn't have to shine a bright light on him to make it look right, out in plain view with no surrounding around it and just normal light through the window.
My side by side head shots (with a flash even), clearly shows that next to other PF statues, he is way dark. If I was to shine the same bright light on all the other PF's, that was used to make Indy look right, would make all the rest look super washed out.

Its a simple fact, there is great variation in the face paint, some are pretty much perfect, some are maybe a little dark but no big deal and some are way too dark (almost same colour as the eye brows) and never should have passed QC.

Unfortunately I got the way too dark versions, in a regular, and am stuck with it, short of a repaint, which is far from an easy thing to do.

sorry mate, but its not a matter of preference or pics, some, like mine are just plain very dark. I shouldn't have to shine a bright light on him to make it look right, out in plain view with no surrounding around it and just normal light through the window.
My side by side head shots (with a flash even), clearly shows that next to other PF statues, he is way dark. If I was to shine the same bright light on all the other PF's, that was used to make Indy look right, would make all the rest look super washed out.

Its a simple fact, there is great variation in the face paint, some are pretty much perfect, some are maybe a little dark but no big deal and some are way too dark (almost same colour as the eye brows) and never should have passed QC.

Unfortunately I got the way too dark versions, in a regular, and am stuck with it, short of a repaint, which is far from an easy thing to do.

I'll take your word for it. In your case though, it's particularly harder since your in Oz and sending the item back for exchange isn't cost worthy at all. I do think Sideshow should make some kind of provisions for this sort of situation since it's more of an exception than the rule and in your situation, their standard policies just aren't fair or reasonable.

i live in oz too and was really worried about getting the indy pf - but mine is ok. sure he is darker than my other pf's but watching the movie indy was tanned. I must agree that u do need to place him in the right light though. Mine is near a window. You can check out my review on utube...

https://au.youtube.com/watch?v=btk10OiPLDc&feature=channel_page

if u love indy this is the only figure worth getting in my opinion

i live in oz too and was really worried about getting the indy pf - but mine is ok. sure he is darker than my other pf's but watching the movie indy was tanned. I must agree that u do need to place him in the right light though. Mine is near a window. You can check out my review on utube...

https://au.youtube.com/watch?v=btk10OiPLDc&feature=channel_page

if u love indy this is the only figure worth getting in my opinion

I know you from YT. :)
Welcome aboard.

Back