Indiana Jones The Complete Collection Blu Ray review.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just picked up the collection today, haven't had a chance to check it out yet though.

Hopefully I don't have any issues like others are having with the colours.

So they're like little mini-posters? Like what Coco displays on his figure stands?

img1159u.jpg

Do my wife and I get back the time we took waiting in line opening might

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

Watched the new Raiders piece on the extras disc and TOD last night. Looks and sounds great, and the new Raiders footage is just about worth the price of the set alone. Very happy.

I as well watched RAIDERS last night. Had some friends over to celebrate and the picture looks really good. Some parts are soft but overall it's a MAJOR improvement on anything we have seen so far. The surround sound is all redone and it KILLS!

Overall picture is not in the same ball park of the new JAWS blu ray release though. That one is truly remarkable! Some witch craft was brewing to bring that one about.

Now I'm curious to see how the 4k theater release compares to this blu ray release. Anyone??

About Raiders: https://badassdigest.com/2012/09/07/should-you-go-see-raiders-of-the-lost-ark-imax/

Last year I saw the 4k digital restoration of*Raiders of the Lost Ark. It was screened at the Academy theater, which means it was the highest possible presentation quality. It was amazing - vibrant and crisp yet stil maintaining a look and feel of film. There was some grain, giving the whole thing texture. It didn't have the cold, sterile feel of too many digital transfers. It was glorious.

This*is not*the version that is playing in movie theaters starting this weekend as Paramount rereleases the film for one week in IMAX theaters. It's also worth noting that the film will generally*not*be playing in real IMAX theaters; as far as I can tell it's *mostly booked into the LieMAX screens. There are three real IMAX screens in the LA area, and none are showing the movie.*

The version that will be playing is a 2K DCP, which has half the resolution of the mind-blowing version I saw last year. According to Peter Hall of Movies.com, the IMAX 2k is a system of proprietary stacked projectors, which means it's brighter than your average too-dim digital presentaion, so that's a plus. And the 2k presentation is still clearer and crisper than what you'll get on the Blu-rays - probably twice as good, easily.*

But when someone tells me there's an IMAX screening of*Raiders of the Lost Ark I'm imagining a 70mm film print playing in the biggest house in the theater. That won't be the case with this rerelease. It won't even be the most optimal digital display possible.

All of that said: this is*Raiders of the Lost Ark*in a movie theater. The movie remains a complete classic, and it's likely that many of you reading this have never experienced it with a crowd. It's a total crowd picture, a movie that draws out cheers from the audience. The energy in a theater during some of the film's best sequences - the truck chase, the Well of Souls, the finale - is palpable. You shouldn't miss an opportunity to have this experience just because the viewing won't be optimal.

And if you're one of the first 500 people in the theater, you get a pretty cool IMAX exclusive poster.*

I wish Paramount did this right, with real IMAX film prints. But the fact that they're doing this at all is nice, and I think we should support even a not-perfect effort like this. And in the future, if you have a chance to see*Raiders*on 35mm - take it!

"LieMAX"? ... Not a big deal, I just get tired of the complaining. It's as if everyone is always let down to some degree by everything. Is anyone ever happy?

In this instance, he's right though. The RAIDERS re-release (while awesome) wasn't actual IMAX at all.

Since the film wasn't properly restored it probably would have looked horrible blown up on a true IMAX screen.

Yep. I think in a round about way he's saying that while it's cool they've re-released it in theaters and the 2K transfer isn't horrible, it's a shame they didn't do a proper/complete restoration from that 4K master. It would have been that much better.

Yep. I think in a round about way he's saying that while it's cool they've re-released it in theaters and the 2K transfer isn't horrible, it's a shame they didn't do a proper/complete restoration from that 4K master. It would have been that much better.

Now i'm confused on what the Bluray was based on, because Digital Bits says this:

The video quality on especially Discs One, Two and Three is comparable across all three installments. Of the three, Raiders in particular has been given a new 4K transfer and extensive restoration. Probably the best thing that can be said for each is that the visual presentations are pleasingly and richly cinematic. Grain is moderate and seldom excessive, but its presence insures that the films retain their period look. Detail is excellent on the whole, although especially the first film is occasionally a little bit uneven - here and there you'll see a shot that's slightly softer that those around it. It's not due to problems with the transfer or mastering, but actual photographic issues related to the "down and dirty" nature of the location production. Colors are pleasing and generally accurate, though very occasionally appear a little desaturated. All of the first three films have been extensively restored so their color timing will vary somewhat from the previous DVD presentations. Contrast also varies a little bit, with blacks occasionally appearing a little crushed, but again on the whole the presentations are quite pleasing. There's no doubt that these films look better here than ever before on disc. The fourth film (Disc Four) is the newest and most even looking of the bunch, with neigh perfect contrast, flawlessly textured detail and a deep, warm looking color palate.

So is the bluray the same as what you saw at the Academy...4k resolution or is it just 2k resolution like the "lieMax" one?

Back