Indiana Jones The Complete Collection Blu Ray review.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I feel confident my lack of knowledge of these things will mean I don't notice any difference when watching :yess::hi5:

May I ask why these guys are more "trusted" than I? I work in the film industry and have been for the past 25 years. My system is a reference level system, probably the same as they would be running. I actually make a living from making films, these guys are simply critics - so you might want to get your facts right before pulling out the derogatory "trusted" quote.

As I CLEARLY stated, my copy is an Australian printing which are notorious for their poor mastering. As I also CLEARLY stated, the US version use reference mastering and are the pinnacle of picture quality for video/audiophiles around the world since the Laserdisc days.

Obviously, the US version got it right...

I will have to cast another eye over this then. I also have a reference level system and watched parts of ROTLA last night and was immediately impressed by the sound. The picture I alway's find hard to compare to something like Tron or Avatar.

Your not comparing apples to apples there. Parts of it did look a little bright but nothing outstandingly bad. To me anyway, a lot of shots in the first movie are in the extremely bright sun. The class room shots/bar shots looked pretty nice to me.

calibrated plasma over to the crappy "Cinema" preset so that it was watchable.

Cinema preset as far as I'm aware is the preset where most calibration is done? I'm not sure what you mean here unless you have a different kind of television. Dynamic, Standard etc etc most of the time don't offer the calibration options of "cinema".

Last edited:
May I ask why these guys are more "trusted" than I? I work in the film industry and have been for the past 25 years. My system is a reference level system, probably the same as they would be running. I actually make a living from making films, these guys are simply critics - so you might want to get your facts right before pulling out the derogatory "trusted" quote.

As I CLEARLY stated, my copy is an Australian printing which are notorious for their poor mastering. As I also CLEARLY stated, the US version use reference mastering and are the pinnacle of picture quality for video/audiophiles around the world since the Laserdisc days.

Obviously, the US version got it right...

That is great and all but you never really stated many facts about who you are or why i should trust you or a way to prove any of those facts so why would I trust you, no offense. I would most definitely trust a reliable website over some random guy on a toy forum.

Not trying to attack you but it is what it is.

Last edited:

That bit about swastika flags in ROTLA looking orange instead of red is a bit concerning, but those new making-of docs make this a must-buy. Colors and contrast aside, I can't wait to see the movies in HD resolution.

That first review is pretty funny re: KOTCS ("And then there's this..." "Let me assure you, your first instincts were correct. It really is that bad," " Indiana Jones and the Contractual Obligation")

I got it yesterday and I checked out parts of Raiders. The Contrast or brightness does seem to be set to high. The Desert scenes seem to bright. The buildings in the backdrop of Cario seemed a bit washed out at times. I am not sure if I would notice if I was not so use to the DVD which seems to be warmer in picture.

However the detail is fantastic and John Williams score sounds amazing. I have not looked at the others yet as I just want to wait until I am ready to watch them.

But again as far as the picture goes on Raiders it pretty good but it seems to bright. It's not a deal breaker IMO as it still looks good.

I am not against director's changing the color timing in their film. Fincher did it for Se7en and Scott did it for some scenes in Alien. Both were done to great effect.

If this is how it was ment to look then so be it. It will just take some getting use to.

I do wonder if it is so bright because Spielbergs old eyes can see it better ;)

Why would European, UK, New Zealand and Australian copies be any different from the U.S. bluray mastering? They all come from the same source and AFAIK they are not region locked.

I was thinking the same thing...I was planning on getting the UK collector's set, but I would obviously skip it for the US version if the picture is better. I have no clue about these things, so if someone who is knowledgeable could confirm one way or the other. :pray:

Yup, just grabbed one at Costco too.
u6yhyqes.jpg

I was thinking the same thing...I was planning on getting the UK collector's set, but I would obviously skip it for the US version if the picture is better. I have no clue about these things, so if someone who is knowledgeable could confirm one way or the other. :pray:

Has the picture difference between UK and US been confirmed?

Picked mine up at Costco this morning, $61.99. Best price I've seen so far.

...plus tax! (that's for international readers - varies from around 5-10%...)

Digital Bits:

The video quality on especially Discs One, Two and Three is comparable across all three installments. Of the three, Raiders in particular has been given a new 4K transfer and extensive restoration. Probably the best thing that can be said for each is that the visual presentations are pleasingly and richly cinematic. Grain is moderate and seldom excessive, but its presence insures that the films retain their period look. Detail is excellent on the whole, although especially the first film is occasionally a little bit uneven - here and there you'll see a shot that's slightly softer that those around it. It's not due to problems with the transfer or mastering, but actual photographic issues related to the "down and dirty" nature of the location production. Colors are pleasing and generally accurate, though very occasionally appear a little desaturated. All of the first three films have been extensively restored so their color timing will vary somewhat from the previous DVD presentations. Contrast also varies a little bit, with blacks occasionally appearing a little crushed, but again on the whole the presentations are quite pleasing. There's no doubt that these films look better here than ever before on disc. The fourth film (Disc Four) is the newest and most even looking of the bunch, with neigh perfect contrast, flawlessly textured detail and a deep, warm looking color palate.

The DTS HD 5.1 Master Audio mixes on each of these films are extremely satisfying. Overall fidelity is excellent. Dialogue reproduction is clear, surround channel use is lively and enveloping, the staging is smooth and natural at all times with plenty of deep, full bass. Sound cues both subtle and thunderous envelop and immerse you in the action throughout. John William's brilliant musical scores have seldom sounded so good.

Last edited:
Winner, winner, chicken
sigpic9167_15.gif
dinner!!​

Thank you George. Now i'm gonna go watch my ET without guns but with flashlights...

What I is wrong with you people?

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

Just ordered from bestbuy, had some "free" cash. Hope the transfer delivers. I was going to wait for sales on this set, but the reviews on the transfer have been reallly good, plus its been awhile since I watched all 3 films. Also just got the "Idol" from SS. Going to have an Indy party this week.

Free? You can't say that and not explain.

What did you get for free? Indiana Jones and the Loose Stool.

Exactly my thoughts. where is this free copy and why don't I have it?

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

Got my set from Target which included lithographs of all four posters PLUS the Mark Raats IMAX art *without* the revised "Indiana Jones and the..." title. :rock

I put TOD in first, it looks fantastic!

Back