Indiana Jones The Complete Collection Blu Ray review.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is why I'm completely fine with guys like Harmy doing their work on the original SW trilogy. Even if Lucas ever dared to condescend to "restore" the original OT and "give fans what they want" it'd still be half assed and screwed up in some way, shape, or form.

This news about the Indy release is *only* mildly surprising due to the recent white glove treatment given to Jaws. But Jaws didn't involve Lucas. A good thing to keep in mind when adjusting expectations accordingly.

I'm wondering now how many are basing their judgement of the film on repeated viewings of the old DVD's... or the old VHS even worse?

I wonder how many actually remember seeing the film in the theater and actually remembering over time how the color timing looked? Was the jungle warmer in 1981 then the cooler bluish version seen today on the DVD?

I must have seen Raiders 20 times or more that summer of '81 (friends ran the theater so I basically got to run in anytime to view it) but I cannot say that my expectation of the colors hasn't been veered by multiple viewing over the years of VHS, DVD and TV broadcasts (the worst).

I did see this in the LieMax and best I could remember it looked like it did when I was a kid. At least, I think so...

If the blu-ray matches what I just saw in LIEMAX last night then it'll be good enough for me. I thought the picture quality was amazing, I really liked the look of the burning bar framing Indy and the others.

All I'd like to say is, I have no dog in the fight, and don't mean to say one version is superior or not, just trying to inform. I don't think I have excellent capture equipment, just using the screen grab feature on my media player. I think Raiders is still an awesome film.

I'm not one of these theater-philes who geeks out over crushed blacks or blown out whites or whatever. I just hope I didn't start some firestorm or something. . . in fact, I didn't realize I posted this, haha. I hesitated because I didn't want people to get all upset about it. I thought I closed the browser window instead of hitting 'Reply'.

Oh well. . .

I saw it in IMAX last night as well, and it may have been the context of the viewing, but I was mostly pleased with the picture as well. I was BLOWN AWAY by the sound. A few things that did kind of irk me though were the re-lit jungle opening, a faint orang-ish tint to some of the flesh tones in the opening sequence, and some weird distortion thing that happened to Satipo when Indy was motioning for him to turn around so he could brush the spiders off. Sadly these things were all confined to probably my favorite Indy sequence, but nothing else really bothered me.

I saw it in IMAX last night as well, and it may have been the context of the viewing, but I was mostly pleased with the picture as well. I was BLOWN AWAY by the sound. A few things that did kind of irk me though were the re-lit jungle opening, a faint orang-ish tint to some of the flesh tones in the opening sequence, and some weird distortion thing that happened to Satipo when Indy was motioning for him to turn around so he could brush the spiders off. Sadly these things were all confined to probably my favorite Indy sequence, but nothing else really bothered me.

Weird, I noticed that too and assumed something was just off with the projector in my auditorium. The focus seemed to go in and out throughout the entire opening sequence in fact but thankfully cleared up after that.

I noticed the same thing as well, and was a bit concerned that it wasn't going to clear up. Other than that "glitch", I felt the movie was great, and if the Blu-ray looks like that, then I wouldn't be complaining.

The spiders/Satipo scene soft focus glitch occurred on-set and in-camera. The negative was breathing back and forth away from the gate.

Now that you mention it, I do kind of remember that scene always having a bit of a bobble to it. Less noticeable in the dark old days of real film projection with grainy stock. :)

I'm wondering now how many are basing their judgement of the film on repeated viewings of the old DVD's... or the old VHS even worse?

I wonder how many actually remember seeing the film in the theater and actually remembering over time how the color timing looked? Was the jungle warmer in 1981 then the cooler bluish version seen today on the DVD?

I must have seen Raiders 20 times or more that summer of '81 (friends ran the theater so I basically got to run in anytime to view it) but I cannot say that my expectation of the colors hasn't been veered by multiple viewing over the years of VHS, DVD and TV broadcasts (the worst).

I did see this in the LieMax and best I could remember it looked like it did when I was a kid. At least, I think so...

Great point, but at the end of the day, if the picture looks bad, it looks bad. The contrast has been pumped so high it makes many shots look over exposed. The colors are intrusive and unnatural. Regardless of anything, these are basics that the eye should never been drawn to.

Remember too, there is a grade done for the theatrical release and a separate grade done for Blu Ray/DVD/TV, etc.

The theater only pumps out 600 ansi lumens (low light) whereas LCD's & plasmas are massively brighter.

I can tell you this first hand because we just did a tech screening on a film at the theater which looked moody and cinematic, but when we put it onto a panel it looked like a cheap over-lit tv drama.

I hope you don't watch movies at home with your TV's out of the box brightness/contrast settings. They tend to be ridiculously high. First thing I do whenever I get a new TV is pop in the THX optimizer from the last Indy DVD release to get a much more film like picture.

Back