Independence Day sequels

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
han-solo-return-of-the-jedi.jpg

:lol :lol :lol

Fun movies wasn't a 1996 thing.

I just don't see where it's that bad.....honestly! :lol

It was just boring... All the action was boring. Nothing new. Nothing Ih ave not seen before but done before 100% better. The film started off fairly serious and then as soon as the **** his the fan all the characters got dumb in typical Emmerich fashion. I mean did we really need Judd Hirsh back and all the stupid stuff that came with him?? How about Data the scientist and all the dumb things he was forced to do and say?? What about the other idiot who was hanging with the warlord, what the hell good was his character?? I mean some movies have one annoying character.. Emmerich fills his films with them. All Emmerich films are chessy bad... But they are usually not boring. You can sometimes find something to like. This one had not one memorable moment or scene.

I really don't care for the first one... But like I said there was a charm to it. This one lacked personality and charm.

Seriously a film that is not a full blown comedy that ends with "lets go kick some Alien Ass" Is not a film that one should be surprised that people hate..

You guys are actually making me wonder if I'm going to lose all interest in this film after just one more viewing. I remember going to Van Helsing and coming out going "that was fun!" and then when I saw it again I literally thought it was one of the ****iest movies I'd seen in my life. :lol

Maybe immediately watching The Shallows covered the sins of Resurgence for me.

You guys are actually making me wonder if I'm going to lose all interest in this film after just one more viewing. I remember going to Van Helsing and coming out going "that was fun!" and then when I saw it again I literally thought it was one of the ****iest movies I'd seen in my life. :lol

See....I love Van Helsing! :lol

I tried watching that hot mess on HBO :lol

Ah, the sea of negativity that is the movies section.

It was derivative, formulaic, full of action with almost no character exploration... and a blast!

Another great popcorn movie. Will buy on BD. :D

han-solo-return-of-the-jedi.jpg

I've already spelled out my issues with the film at length in this very thread.

Fun movies wasn't a 1996 thing. We've had many, many fun movies since, this year included. In fact the most successful movies of any given year (TFA, JW, Avengers, etc.) tend to be the most "fun."

I'll just have to miss it then because I have no interest in looking through 54 pages to find it. And I'll agree to disagree that 1996 wasn't a ti e for fun movies. Today, fun movies are picked apart for every detail by the millennial generation.

I'll just have to miss it then because I have no interest in looking through 54 pages to find it. And I'll agree to disagree that 1996 wasn't a ti e for fun movies. Today, fun movies are picked apart for every detail by the millennial generation.

I didn't mean that 1996 wasn't a time for fun movies, my point was actually that fun movies aren't "only" a 1996 thing. We've had them many years since. Especially since the birth of the MCU. So ID4 aspired to be fun in 1996. Great. But that doesn't mean it was inherently a good film.

But you're definitely correct about movies being picked apart by millennials. They never lived in a world where you go to a movie, enjoy it, and then talk about it with a like-minded friend or two. They only know the culture of watching a film that the world has already commented on and then going out and trying to gain relevance by having their criticisms be more entertaining than everyone else's. Clown Prince and Gaspar know what I'm talking about and will back me up on this.

I'll agree that we still get fun movies. I guess my point was that in 1996 they weren't picked apart the way they are today. I don't LOVE ID4 as an all time favorite, but I just remember walking out of the the theater at 23 and thinking "that was a blast".

See....I love Van Helsing! :lol

Oof, Van Helsing. The most obnoxiously loud movie ever.... Everyone in that film just screams. I don't like that one or the Mummy films at all. Stephen Summers is the Director right? Yuck!

I didn't mean that 1996 wasn't a time for fun movies, my point was actually that fun movies aren't "only" a 1996 thing. We've had them many years since. Especially since the birth of the MCU. So ID4 aspired to be fun in 1996. Great. But that doesn't mean it was inherently a good film.

But you're definitely correct about movies being picked apart by millennials. They never lived in a world where you go to a movie, enjoy it, and then talk about it with a like-minded friend or two. They only know the culture of watching a film that the world has already commented on and then going out and trying to gain relevance by having their criticisms be more entertaining than everyone else's. Clown Prince and Gaspar know what I'm talking about and will back me up on this.

I'll agree that we still get fun movies. I guess my point was that in 1996 they weren't picked apart the way they are today. I don't LOVE ID4 as an all time favorite, but I just remember walking out of the the theater at 23 and thinking "that was a blast".

Guess I was a Millennial before their time :lol

I waked out of ID4 at 25 years of age and thought it was awful. All those great serious trailers and then we end up with this....

giphy.gif

FafHtxr.gif

vkAkY.gif

anigif_enhanced-4213-1413504678-5.gif

ID2--Brent-Spiner_article_story_large.jpg

hirschcur.jpg

I still think it's bad but I have found that it has a cheesy fun innocence to it that I appreciate more now then I did then.

The original is cheesy awfulness but loved all the destruction scenes and such- I just thought the live action parts were bad:lol

The 90's were great with their disaster movies....ID4, Twister, Deep Impact, Armageddon. None of them are great movies, but I loved the yearly big blockbuster that was a must to see on the big screen.

I'm with you. When I saw the first one, I just realized it was terrible, and resulted in my having a miserable, disappointing theatrical experience. Nowadays I would actually have to break it down and think about why it was such a failure.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Back