Independence Day sequels

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Resurgence isn't the only bomb this summer.

The Legend of Tarzan just made $38 million it's opening weekend ($180 million budget--what was the studio thinking)
The BFG tanked for Disney making only $19 million ($140 million budget.) Luckily they've got TFA, Zootopia, Jungle Book, CW, Dory, etc. Maybe they deliberately release a "Tomorrowland" every year to give the impression that they haven't bought everyone off.

Meanwhile The Purge: Election Year made $30 million ($10 million budget) and Week #2 for The Shallows brought it up to $35 million total ($17 million budget.) Go Blake.

Resurgence dropped 59% with $16.5 million for $72 domestic million total after a $165 million budget. Who would have ever guessed that a Purge movie would double the earnings of an ID4 movie in it's second week of release.

I'm still contributing to its failure :lol

I was hoping to see it last week but I got lazy. Tuesday it is. I'm not missing this one though, I missed XMA cause I didn't care, bootleged it, but this one I'll see in theaters.

Resurgence isn't the only bomb this summer.

The Legend of Tarzan just made $38 million it's opening weekend ($180 million budget--what was the studio thinking)
The BFG tanked for Disney making only $19 million ($140 million budget.) Luckily they've got TFA, Zootopia, Jungle Book, CW, Dory, etc. Maybe they deliberately release a "Tomorrowland" every year to give the impression that they haven't bought everyone off.

Meanwhile The Purge: Election Year made $30 million ($10 million budget) and Week #2 for The Shallows brought it up to $35 million total ($17 million budget.) Go Blake.

Resurgence dropped 59% with $16.5 million for $72 domestic million total after a $165 million budget. Who would have ever guessed that a Purge movie would double the earnings of an ID4 movie in it's second week of release.

The Alice sequel tanked too, so there you go conspiracy theorists.:lol

I think Alice in Wonderland did so well at the box office because it was coming hot off the heels of Avatar, and people were very excited about 3D. But still, the enormous drop in ticket sales between the first movie and it's sequel had to hurt.

My Wife and 7 year old daughter went to see BFG today, I stayed home and watched the little one, they enjoyed it and my daughter wants to buy it when it hits video.

Just got back from seeing this.
Terrible.
Well, not terrible. Just very poorly written and directed. Just watch the first "action" sequence and you already start to groan.
Emmerich really is way past his prime. Back in the day his movies at least made some sense.

I enjoyed Crimson Tide, but it doesn't beat Hunt for Red October. :lol

The Hunt For Red October is one of my favorites.:yess:

I saw Crimson Tide in theaters the one time and haven't felt like watching it again. I'll take any other Bruckheimer flick from that era.

Have you even seen it yet or are you contributing to its failure? :lol

Unfortunately it has done that to itself. ID4 is probably my favourite movie, certainly in the top 5 movies we all have where you just can't choose between them. I'm a big fan of the Alien and ship designs etc, I should be the target audience for this sequel. And yet I have no desire what so ever to go and see it. This is partly due to the underwhelming trailers (which suggest an underwhelming movie) Questionable acting and dialogue in said trailers. And the seeming abandonment of the production style that made the first so good, this was just one of a hundred in your face CGI filled invasion movies we've seen recently. It was never going to match its predecessor. I will of course not judge the movie until I've seen it (on Blu ray when it releases) But it isn't looking good to me as a huge fan, casual viewers presumably care even less for what has been shown.

It is now sitting at $252 million worldwide so I'm betting there will be another one. Yay! :lol

I just stumbled across the metacritic reviews, yikes... But I can't say I'm surprised. I've waited 20 years for this movie, and now I don't even want to watch it in any hurry.

A little taster from the actual critics with reviews
mostly scoring 30 and under.....

"This might have been titled ‘Independence Day: Submergence’. It’s certainly hard not to drown in the sea of CGI, with the exponential increase of pixels being to Independence Day what the Star Wars prequels were to the original trilogy."

"The lackluster, at times abysmal writing wouldn’t much matter if Resurgence popped visually or featured a charismatic star who could lift a movie as effortlessly as Will Smith did in the first feature."

"A curiously loud and ugly beast of a sequel."

"The sequel is even more silly, and much less fun."

"The first “Independence Day’’ was a lot of fun, with a great lines and cutting-edge special effects. It was much imitated, so the sequel plays like a faded, eighth-generation copy with a cast that’s shooting blanks when it comes to humor."

"Joyless and tedious, a reboot quite without the first film’s audacity and fun... It’s a movie that is going through the intergalactic motions."

Saw it today. Was pretty much what I was expecting......a fun, summer popcorn flick. I will say the writing could have been better and there were parts from the first film they fell short in trying to recapture, but like it said it was pretty much what I expected. Fun enough to catch, but certainly not an outstanding film.

I just stumbled across the metacritic reviews, yikes... But I can't say I'm surprised. I've waited 20 years for this movie, and now I don't even want to watch it in any hurry.

A little taster from the actual critics with reviews
mostly scoring 30 and under.....

"This might have been titled ‘Independence Day: Submergence’. It’s certainly hard not to drown in the sea of CGI, with the exponential increase of pixels being to Independence Day what the Star Wars prequels were to the original trilogy."

"The lackluster, at times abysmal writing wouldn’t much matter if Resurgence popped visually or featured a charismatic star who could lift a movie as effortlessly as Will Smith did in the first feature."

"A curiously loud and ugly beast of a sequel."

"The sequel is even more silly, and much less fun."

"The first “Independence Day’’ was a lot of fun, with a great lines and cutting-edge special effects. It was much imitated, so the sequel plays like a faded, eighth-generation copy with a cast that’s shooting blanks when it comes to humor."

"Joyless and tedious, a reboot quite without the first film’s audacity and fun... It’s a movie that is going through the intergalactic motions."

Critics......people wouldn't go to any fun movies if they listened to them.

Saw it today. Was pretty much what I was expecting......a fun, summer popcorn flick. I will say the writing could have been better and there were parts from the first film they fell short in trying to recapture, but like it said it was pretty much what I expected. Fun enough to catch, but certainly not an outstanding film.

I think it's just a bumper to get to the third one.

Critics......people wouldn't go to any fun movies if they listened to them.

While this is true, you can usually find a balance of varying opinions. Not so here and the customer reviews are much worse. Plus that is an easy way of brushing aside critisism that may well be valid. The CGI comment clearly is, I'll judge the other reviews when I've seen the movie... No rush for that, I have the remastered blu ray of the first to keep me happy.

While this is true, you can usually find a balance of varying opinions. Not so here and the customer reviews are much worse. Plus that is an easy way of brushing aside critisism that may well be valid. The CGI comment clearly is, I'll judge the other reviews when I've seen the movie... No rush for that, I have the remastered blu ray of the first to keep me happy.

There are just too many movies that I totally enjoyed that the critics totally panned, so I just brush them aside anymore.

I think this movie has become one of those that it's not cool to say you like it, even if you do. When it first come out, a lot of the viewing public liked it, but after awhile, a lot more panned it.

It's happened on this board. :lol

Back