INCEPTION Discussion Thread (***Spoilers!!!***)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was reading some threads on IMDB and saw someone mention a quote about the safe how the subject fills it with his secrets. I wonder if Ariadne was his safe used in extraction where he shared his secrets and then from that, they wanted to plant the idea through inception that it wasn't his fault.

I can not wait for the DVD/BR release with director commentary:yess: this movie can make you a bit:cuckoo: :panic::thud:

Last edited:
Does Fischer spend a brief time in limbo? I'm assuming he does after he gets shot. How is Saito so much older than Fischer when he is found?

I would love to hear an explanation for this.

Fischer is found quickly because Cobb knew where Mal took him (Cobb and Mal's home). Cobb even says so once he and Ariadne enter limbo. Also, Fischer 'died' on level 3/snow fortress, where time passes much slower than on level 1, where Saito died of the gunshot wound inside the van. The time difference, combined with the fact that it's not made clear how much time had passed as Cobb searched for Saito in limbo, gives you the answer to why Fischer didn't age as much as Saito did.

131955923.jpg

The time difference, combined with the fact that it's not made clear how much time had passed as Cobb searched for Saito in limbo, gives you the answer to why Fischer didn't age as much as Saito did.

But I'm not wondering about the age difference between Fischer and Saito--it's the difference between Cobb and Saito in the confrontation scenes that bookend the film. Saito and Cobb both entered limbo at or near the same time from level three, and after an unknown period of time when Cobb is brought to the table, Saito is a very old man and Cobb is not. If they had both been there for decades, Cobb should have been made to look far older. Even given the age difference between the two men, it looked like Saito had been in limbo far longer, when I don't think that he had based on the order and timing of events.

I can not wait for the DVD/BR release with director commentary:yess: this movie can make you a bit:cuckoo: :panic::thud:

I would love it, but I'm not getting my hopes up. Has Nolan done a commentary since Memento? I know he didn't do one for The Prestige or either of the Batman movies. Those sporadic in movie pop-up features just aren't the same as a good old fashioned running audio commentary.

To be honest, I hate that. It alienates the future filmmakers imo.

But I digress. It's their flick. They can chose not show anything, or show everything.

But I'm not wondering about the age difference between Fischer and Saito--it's the difference between Cobb and Saito in the confrontation scenes that bookend the film. Saito and Cobb both entered limbo at or near the same time from level three, and after an unknown period of time when Cobb is brought to the table, Saito is a very old man and Cobb is not. If they had both been there for decades, Cobb should have been made to look far older. Even given the age difference between the two men, it looked like Saito had been in limbo far longer, when I don't think that he had based on the order and timing of events.

Oh okay. When you quoted civiclx he specifically mentioned Fischer and Saito, so I replied accordingly, but I do have the answer for the age difference between Cobb and Saito.

Okay. It is established that time is perceived differently as a dreamer travels further into a deeper level of a dream. The exact formula escapes me, but generally we can all agree that time in the Snow Fortress progressed much slower than in the very first level of the dream, which took place inside the white van. A few seconds inside the van is a much longer amount of time in the snowy fortress.

Saito was shot in the first level of the dream, and it is there that he died. Later on, Cobb died within the same van (he drowned). It's that amount of time between Cobb's death an d Saito's death that partially caused the difference in age between the two when Cobb found and rescued Saito. I don't actually remember the amount of time between Saito's death and Cobb's death though.

Another reason for why Cobb didn't seem to age much at all (or at all) is because he knew he was in limbo. As it was explained in the film, when someone stays in limbo for an extended amount of time, they lose their grasp on time and reality, and they begin to age. Saito has never been to limbo before, and I'd guess that in time he forgot that it was limbo and began to age.

Cobb on the other hand had been to limbo before and had been through the process with Mal. When he went after Saito, he knew he was in limbo, therefore he had control over his image.

When Saito finds Cobb on the beach and has him brought into his palace, Saito's guards note that the only items they found on Cobb were a gun and the spinning top. It is when Saito sees the top spinning (as well as a few choice words from Cobb) that he remembers that he is in limbo and that he isn't really an old man.

Man I feel sorry for cobb at the end . I mean what if the dude is stuck in the dream.

Man I feel sorry for cobb at the end . I mean what if the dude is stuck in the dream.

If he wasn't he could never see his children again.

Saito died, he was the one arranging for Cobb to come back to the U.S.

Cobb had the impending murder charge for his wife. Him dreaming was the happiest ending it could have been given the circumstances.

That is discussed in the interview with Dileep Rao.

Must-read interview with Dileep Rao, who plays Yusuf the scientist in the film. He's very knowledgeable and offers some great insights as well as some of his own interpretations based on working with Nolan. The interviewer is also good at lobbing interesting questions:

https://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2010/07/inceptions_dileep_rao_answers.html

I think a lot of people are confused by the ending/beginning where Ken Watanabe is an old man in limbo, but Leo is still super handsome.
Well, two ideas. One: Leo is aged, too, but he's been down there less time and from a younger age. Cobb is in his forties and Saito in the eighties by the time they meet.

Is there anything to the idea that Leo knows he's in limbo?

Well, that's option two: He knows where he is, so he can keep track a bit better of where he is, who he is.

No, he is saying that Cobb is ignorant, just like Cypher in the Matrix.

If Cobb doesn't know he's dreaming he can be happy.

Take a :chillpill: no one's calling you ignorant.

Back