INCEPTION Discussion Thread (***Spoilers!!!***)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like my endings bleak or uncertain. For this reason, in the end Cobb is still in a dream.

Cobb's last job was to plant an idea into Robert Fischer's mind. This idea does not come to Fischer naturally, but is in fact something introduced without his knowledge (granted many of the ideas that come to our head are indirectly influenced by others). His motivation to carry out this task was so that he could return to his family. The twist is that, like his target Fischer, he too has been influenced, perhaps without being fully aware of it. He thinks or chooses to believe he's achieved his goal. To quote the movie, "dreams feel real when we're in them". The joke is on him, so to speak.

Someone mentioned on this thread that one clue was that his children sound the same when he speaks to them on the phone. There's no indication that they've aged. I noticed that too. In fact throughout the movie, shots of his children are hazy, obscured. If we were to speak to someone over the phone who we've not seen in a long time, or think about that person, our minds conjure an image of what they were like the last time we saw them. The hazy shots of his children are a reference to this, they're images he's recalling of how he remembers his children before he went on the run, which many people believe has been many years. The most informative time of a child's life is the time spent with parents and much of that time was missed out.

Cobb cannot simply return to his children and start from when he last left off because his children probably don't even remember him, or are emotionally detached from him. On some level he knows this, and whether by choice or through someone else's influence, he chooses the dream.

17841d1261587011-superbattleship-leviathan-class-pinhead-necro2.jpg

I'll explain this film in 3 sentences.

Cobb realized that he needs to stop living in the past, and accept what happened, and accept his life.

He spins the top thinking it's a dream, but realizes it doesn't matter, and he accepts the reality he's in.

The film is about accepting your life. :lol

I'll explain this film in 3 sentences.

Cobb realized that he needs to stop living in the past, and accept what happened, and accept his life.

He spins the top thinking it's a dream, but realizes it doesn't matter, and he accepts the reality he's in.

The film is about accepting your life. :lol

Which he never does because he's still dreaming at the end. :lol

Back