Ikea lighting - share your experiences!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seaward said:
I've got the Ikea Billy shelves with the Non lights, but thanks to the above links, I may have to replace them.

Same here. I went to Ikea yesterday and bought the other lights. If I only I had known about this earlier. Ikea is 2hrs away from where I live. Guess I am going to have to go back and replace them.

If the Non works for you don't change them. But I would be worried about long term exposure to valuable collectibles. I have my 1/4 scale Superman about a foot away from a Non under a glass shelf, but the heat keeps his belt, which is closed with sticky-taped velcro, from staying on.

Actually, they don't look too bad. After I installed them today, I liked the way the work. Did you or anyone else by any chance also put lights on other shelves besides the top one? I want to add lights to other shelves but I am not sure whether that's a good idea or not.

Darth Loki said:
What kind of shelving is this? Does anyone have any pics of the Ikea Billy set up?

Its a DOCENT cabinet. Very nice. I'll be getting one for my collection and books/dvd's.

I have the Nons on the top shelf and on the other fixed shelf. Same with the Tjungfreateassdfsdfa. Otherwise the bottom of the cabinet is too dark.

i tried ordering the Tjugofyra online from ikea and the S&H is $18.21!! they only cost $35 and they want that much for shipping? ridiculous. i guess i'll have to pick some up next i'm in Atlanta which is 2 hours away.

Vader AL said:
i tried ordering the Tjugofyra online from ikea and the S&H is $18.21!! they only cost $35 and they want that much for shipping? ridiculous. i guess i'll have to pick some up next i'm in Atlanta which is 2 hours away.

Ikea is notorious for their expensive shipping charges! I once orderd a detolf and the shipping was $150!

Argh!!! I just read this thread after installing a pair of Non lights on top of my Billy shelving. Noting the lights do generate some heat so have placed my figures to the side instead of directly under, but that my change as I get more figures.

Here's the current setup:

btvsdisplay1.jpg

The Non lights by themselves weren't particularly bright, such that the lower part of the shelves where Buffy, Angel and Spike are displayed seem dark. The above pic was taken with another 2 spotlights aimed at the display area.

Well, do you guys think Xander, Oz and a Gentlemen are 'safe' next to those Non lights? I don't turn the lights on often either, but planning to install glass doors over the display shelving area so expect some heating up to occur inside.

I've also got a Detolf yet to install a light on top. Wasn't planning to but position where I've put the cabinet is sorta dark. Which low heat lights would be recommended as the shelve height is fixed within the cabinet, i.e. top of 12in figure would be almost touching bottom of a Non light installed.

Thanks.

i've been looking at these round led ones for a while now... I have 2 nons in teh top of my billy here, and I kind of like the dramatc shadows they create on characters faces. Very movie-like... plus it makes most sculpts look a touch more realistic.

How is the light from the leds? concentrated? diffuse? bright? dim? :)

There is a hole on the top of the Detolf that seems to be made for a specific light to be mounted there. Any ideas what that would be? I bought the NON lights and they are obviously not made for that spot. Can anybody tell me what is?

Thanks!

I love the round LEDs. They aren't as dramatic as the NONs but do light up the shelf. Plus there isn't near as much heat. I'm not too fond of the bluer light, but it's barely noticeable.

tomandshell said:
There is a hole on the top of the Detolf that seems to be made for a specific light to be mounted there. Any ideas what that would be? I bought the NON lights and they are obviously not made for that spot. Can anybody tell me what is?

Thanks!

I was wondering the same thing........

.....and still am! :D

tomandshell said:

Thanks!

My Detolf's have lights in them. The same one's that were in the display at the store but I have no idea what they're called.

Anyone seen the new doors for the Billys? I'm just wondering if they only have frosted glass, or if they have clear glass without the wood frames.

Darklord Dave said:
Anyone seen the new doors for the Billys? I'm just wondering if they only have frosted glass, or if they have clear glass without the wood frames.

There is a clear glass version in metal frame called Billy Maredo (I think). They come with plywood sheet over the glass which is removable so you can see through. Expensive though, sold by per piece. Buying 2 pieces costs at much as the shelving... :confused:

I see there are a couple of sizes of billy's a 31 1/2" width and then the 63" width. Is the wider one 2 separate units stuck next to each other, and can be separated... or is it one piece. Also where do you find the glass doors for them... I'm a noob when it comes to IKEA.

tomandshell said:

Thanks!

I was at Ikea last week and definitely sighted Non light installed in the Detolf. However, it does not fit in the hole provided so I believe that hole is more for wiring rather than a specific fitting.

Back