Ikea lighting - share your experiences!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
galactiboy said:
I see there are a couple of sizes of billy's a 31 1/2" width and then the 63" width. Is the wider one 2 separate units stuck next to each other, and can be separated... or is it one piece. Also where do you find the glass doors for them... I'm a noob when it comes to IKEA.

The widest Billy bookcase seems to be the 31 1/2 in or 80 cm. Any type rather is a combination of the 80cm with 60cm or 40cm. The glass doors are standard size 40 cm only those so can work as 1-door for 40cm wide display or 2-door 80 cm wide display and useless for 60cm wide model.

Thanks for clearing that up. In the picture I saw on the IKEA website they had a 63" Billy, but it looked like two smaller Billys stacked next to each other, I guess you can just buy them both in the same box.

I will be getting the dioder lighting for our besta. I liked the round ones better but have been told to get the strip ones instead. So once I get them I will definitely share.

I will be getting the dioder lighting for our besta. I liked the round ones better but have been told to get the strip ones instead. So once I get them I will definitely share.

Yeah I like the pucks better too but I think they might create too much of a "spotlight" effect, I have about three to five inches between the shelf and the actual figures so I guess the sticks are the way to go, just wondering what it would look like in such a narrow case...
I'll post photos if I go that way but that solution will be $200 for my four cases ;-O - same I spent on the cases themselves...

Last edited:
Hoping to bring this thread back with some new info anyone might have?
I recently put together a new display and I?m looking for some lighting advice.
I prefer the spotlight effect over LED strips.
Does anyone know of any integrated LED spotlights that are also dimmable? Or just some advice on what everyone uses that just looks good.
I?m using some IKEA bestas and a couple of modified Kallax shelves. Thanks all.

I couldn't agree with you more @bryand46! Hoping this thread is brought back!!!

I am currently building up my office space after not doing this for quite some time- it is really nice to be back setting up a cool space. Now I am just curious what exactly people are using for lighting options these days. Previously I was using OLS Pro remote controlled RGB precut strip lighting which was really, really nice but I can't seem to find a kit anywhere except random spots going for way too much money.

Right now I currently have 4 detolfs and a besta wall unit. I prefer the precut led strips but would be open to the spotlights if someone recommends. Looking for this to all be "smart" as well so I can control it with Google assistant.

Thanks everyone!

6894298295_ba7f8af0c3_w.jpg

Back