Iron Man Mark VII Battle Damage light switch in head loose - fixing it.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwelveInchFigures

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a Mark VII Battle Damaged Iron man and it has been fine until today. I went to switch the "head light" on and it was working one minute, and the next when I tried to switch it on the whole switch mechanism shifts down instead of turning on. I have a few ideas about how I might fix it, but I wanted to inquire if anyone else has had this problem and if so, how they resolved it? I figured better to go in with all possible options.

UPDATE: Didn't want to go there, but dismantled the head (pics below). One must be VERY careful and take it VERY slowly. I first removed the grey padding around the underside rim very slowly so that it could be re-attached after. Then I found the seams and very slowly by applying pressure worked the lower part of the head free of the glue holding it to the upper part. I discovered the part that the neck plug plugs into is glued inside of that, and slowly worked that free. It's kind of slightly wedge shaped. Then I slowly worked the battery box portion free from the inside of the helmet. The switch next to it had already come unglued so that was no problem (well, that was THE problem, apparently they're just glued to the helmet and should the glue give way for whatever reason, there's nothing to hold it from sliding around inside). I've included a few pictures in case anyone else has this problem and needs to take it apart.

I tried gluing the switch back to the head with Zap-a-gap. used a little too much and messed it up. Went on eBay and discovered it looks to be a SS12D00 1P2T 3 Pin Mini Vertical Slide Switch, so ordered a new one to replaced it. Hopefully a little solder and the new switch will work just fine. Rather than use glue again (I may use just a tiny tiny micro drop in two places), I am planning to try using some two-part epoxy clay I have to fill in the gaps around the switch so that if the tiny dabs of glue don't hold, then it will have nowhere to go. And I think I will try using some fabric glue (which seems to have a pretty good hold) to put the head back together, think it should hold well enough even though it's for adhering things to fabric, and would be easier to take apart again than some super-glue type adhesive, just in case I ever need to replace the LED. BUT if anyone has any input or a better idea I'm open to it.

Thank you.

Kind Regards,
Ken

Last edited:
Back