Ignite 1/6 Ninja!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd like to see a kunoichi (female) in purple or maroon costume, and a new male ninja in navy blue or charcoal grey. There are plenty of other weapons, shuriken styles, and tools yet to be done too.

There's a small ninja museum (in Iga Ueno) not too far from where I live that's just packed with real ninja gear and other historical artifacts... I can safely say that Ignite has only just scratched the surface with their first three releases!

I'd like to see a kunoichi (female) in purple or maroon costume, and a new male ninja in navy blue or charcoal grey. There are plenty of other weapons, shuriken styles, and tools yet to be done too.

We need some Sai!! And, please.... more male Ninjas instead of kunoichi. :lecture

We need some Sai!! And, please.... more male Ninjas instead of kunoichi. :lecture

Sai would be cool to have, although they weren't originally Japanese weapons and I doubt if any ninja ever used them, at least the historical ninja. So far all the weapons Ignite has made appear to be based on real ninja gear... I've seen examples of everything they've done so far in ninja museums here in Japan... except for the white ninja suit, anyway. :lol

They seem to be mixing a little ninja movie/pop culture with the historical. I certainly have no problem with that, but at the same time, I really hope they continue to make a good variety of historical gear and weapons to go with their figures. :D

Sai would be cool to have, although they weren't originally Japanese weapons and I doubt if any ninja ever used them, at least the historical ninja. So far all the weapons Ignite has made appear to be based on real ninja gear... I've seen examples of everything they've done so far in ninja museums here in Japan... except for the white ninja suit, anyway. :lol

They seem to be mixing a little ninja movie/pop culture with the historical. I certainly have no problem with that, but at the same time, I really hope they continue to make a good variety of historical gear and weapons to go with their figures. :D

I can agree with that. :duff

Yes, sure no problems. But if just change the colours, I worry no one will want to collect them.... :whip
Great to see other manufacturers posting here, Welcome Ken!
Ken, is there any chance of Crazy Owners picking up the Zatoichi license?
The Alfrex Zatoichi figures have been so out of production for such a long time, that I think the collecting world would love to see a new and improved version.

Just one thing, if you do make a Zatoichi, you have to nail Shintaro Katsu's likeness for it to be successful.
Also Lonewolf and Cub, Kurosawa's Seven Samurai, Yojimbo, etc, would also be interesting.

Great to see other manufacturers posting here, Welcome Ken!
Ken, is there any chance of Crazy Owners picking up the Zatoichi license?
The Alfrex Zatoichi figures have been so out of production for such a long time, that I think the collecting world would love to see a new and improved version.

Just one thing, if you do make a Zatoichi, you have to nail Shintaro Katsu's likeness for it to be successful.
Also Lonewolf and Cub, Kurosawa's Seven Samurai, Yojimbo, etc, would also be interesting.

Until now, we still don't know how to get the license of Zatoichi. If you know the way, maybe you can email to me for share please

Until now, we still don't know how to get the license of Zatoichi. If you know the way, maybe you can email to me for share please

I have the Zatoichi figure screamingmetal refered to. It came with a little booklet that had some production notes and other information in it (in Japanese). It think the figure was licensed through Katsu Shintaro's own company, but I'd have to check. If I can locate it I'll look for any refs that might help you and post them here.

Btw, your shinobi line is going great so far. If I can make a suggestion, please make some costumes in historically accurate colors, like the ones I mentioned in my previous post. Those are the colors most often seen here in Japan. Black looks really cool, but is actually easier to see at night than those other colors, all of which blended much better with darkness and shadow than solid black.

Movie and fantasy ninja figures and are great, but they are already being done by others. Historically accurate ninja figures, on the other hand, are still relatively untouched by figure manufacturers... until now. Thanks for filling the need, and please keep up the good work!

Not quite sure where you're coming from saying "Sai aren't originally japanese". Sure its Okinawan, meaning its history lies in China......... but that's something that could be said about the vast majority of japanese martial arts forms and weapons.

Some believe that the sai was always intended as a weapon while others hypothesize that it originated as an agricultural tool used to measure stalks, plow fields, plant rice, or to hold cart wheels in place. Evidence for the latter theory is limited. The sai is known to have been used in other parts of Asia before its arrival on Okinawa, such as India, China, Indonesia, Siam and Malaysia. Early evidence suggests Indonesia or the neighbouring area as the sai's point of origin. In Malay the sai is known as a "chabang" (also spelled cabang or tjabang, meaning branch) and is thought to derive from the Indian trishula. The chabang quickly spread through the rest of Indo-China and may have reached Okinawa from one or more of these places simultaneously. In China it might have been known as the San-Ku-Chu.

Personally I'd love to see th]e Seikura from The Octagon - he'd be a great figure to show off a pair of sai.

duelofinalf.jpg

I have the Zatoichi figure screamingmetal refered to. It came with a little booklet that had some production notes and other information in it (in Japanese). It think the figure was licensed through Katsu Shintaro's own company, but I'd have to check. If I can locate it I'll look for any refs that might help you and post them here.

I would so be up for a Beat Takashi Zatoichi. Louie of Triad had a great custom based off a one-off Jim Maddox commissioned sculpt. Pesonally I'm happy with the "Swordsman" figure as zatoichi - particularly after I swapped the sword for the mononofu Zatoichi sword.

zato16.jpg
zatoichi-takeshikitano1.jpeg

More pics at:

https://dawgestyle.com/zatoichi.htm

Movie and fantasy ninja figures and are great, but they are already being done by others. Historically accurate ninja figures, on the other hand, are still relatively untouched by figure manufacturers... until now. Thanks for filling the need, and please keep up the good work!

I would certainly be up for some more "fantasy" ninja - maybe inspired by the artwork of Legend of the Five Rings ?

I'm only really aware of Triad's fantasy ninja - are there more floating around.

Last edited:
Not quite sure where you're coming from saying "Sai aren't originally japanese". Sure its Okinawan, meaning its history lies in China......... but that's something that could be said about the vast majority of japanese martial arts forms and weapons.
duelofinalf.jpg

Well, I was primarily speaking to weapons used by feudal age ninja. Perhaps I should have phrased that more carefully. I was only trying to make the point that sai are more of a modern "ninja" weapon, especially in non-Japanese films. Historical ninja were great improvisers, if nothing else, so if they'd had access to them, no doubt they'd have found them useful.

Given the sort of adversaries they were up against at that time, I think a jutte would be more suitable for a ninja, though. They may not look as impressive as sai, but they essentially served the same function, and were probably easier to conceal, not to mention being easier to acquire.

For what it's worth, I've never seen any sai in any of the ninja museums I've visited around Japan so far, or any of the books on historical ninjutsu I own. That said, I'll still have no problem whatsoever if they decide to include sai with a more contemporary ninja figure.

Cool. Whilst not strictly a ninja weapon I would be surprised if Ninja of the era didn't use them - given they became common among peasants when the shogunate outlawed the carrying of weapons by non-samurai. You're right about jitte - I believe they were used by law enforcement even way back then.

That said from what I've read historically you'd be unlikely to ever have seen a ninja dressed in the "traditional" outfit... that's actually derived from the stagehands of traditional japanese theatre ;-p They would wear whatever was appropriate to whatever role they were pretending to be.

You're absolutely right about jutte being used by the constabulary during the Edo period especially, and they did turn up in the hands of common folk as a means of self-defense against sword-wielding enemies. I've seen jutte in the museums I mentioned earlier. There was quite an impressive variety of other defensive weapons as well. The ninja families around here were extremely inventive.

As you mentioned, they have been portrayed in the black stylized costumes we've come to know and love in old movies and theater, however the costumes are based on clothing that was widely popular back then. For example, the farmers and peasants around Iga and Koga (very near where I live now) wore Iga-bakama, the same style baggy trousers which are part of the "traditional" ninja costume... but as you said, it's highly unlikely they ever wore black ones!

Dark indigo and navy blue, however, were popular colors with country folk in this area. Both colors blended well with darkness and wouldn't be likely to draw unwanted attention if spotted. I've seen authentic antique ninja "stealth" wear, dark blue jackets that had concealed chain mail cleverly sewn inside. Pretty impressive stuff!

When it comes to the action figures, it fits that most people are going to expect to see them dressed in the traditional ninja costume, or else they won't be recognized as ninja... such is life. I only hope that they at least try some other colors that don't stray too far from "reality". :D

Mudshark, I hope you come through with that info, otherwise I wouldn't be any help on this. Maybe the DVD's would also provide some license info? :dunno

Last edited:
If Ignite/Crazy Owners is interested in going after Ninja licenses or likenesses, might I suggest the following:

SHO KOSUGI

:lecture :lecture :lecture

Mudshark, I hope you come through with that info, otherwise I wouldn't be any help on this. Maybe the DVD's would also provide some license info? :dunno

:banghead Well, I just spent the better part of Sunday digging through all my closets looking for the box and booklet, but no luck... I must've sent it back home for storage. Sorry about that.

The DVDs would be good a place to check for at least the name of the licensors, the movie company and Katsu Shintaro Productions. I don't happen to have the DVDs, but I do have some promo handbills from Alfrex around here somewhere. I'll check to see if those have any useful information.

My search wasn't entirely in vain... I did manage to find this guy. :)

P1010062.jpg

P1010065.jpg

I don't own any Zatoichi DVDs either, but I looked it up on line and the American versions of the DVDs are produced under license here in the states by Home Vision Entertainment & AnimEigo. AnimEigo's website is:
https://www.animeigo.com/
Maybe they could provide information on the license?

I also looked it up on INDB and it says that the majority of the films were made by Daiei Motion Picture Company and later by Katsu Production Co. Ltd. Toho Company Ltd took over the films and probably currently has the rights to the Zatoichi license. They also have the rights to the Seven Samurai I believe.
Here's Toho's website, maybe Mudshark can translate and find the Zatoichi License info there, or send them an email?
https://www.toho.co.jp/

Back