Ignite 1/6 Ninja!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been wondering about the Batleth as well. makes no sense. Still, it looks cool if nothing else i suppose :lol

As for the cammo ninja, i'd get one, IF headplay would get around to making a chuck Norris head.

Ninja like those depicted here are entirely fictional to begin with, the closest equivalent in ancient Japan would be an Shinobi assassin that would most likely have worn a disguise to make them blend in, so the camo costume is about just as plausible as the black theatrical costume Ninja are typically depicted in.

As for the Batleth, the two single handed crescent shaped weapons that come with the black costume set (they're listed as Batleths too) look closest to Deer Horn Knives which are traditional Chinese Martial Arts weapons. If you took one of those, stretched it out and gave it a couple additional points and hand holds it becomes a Batleth, so not far fetched as a useful weapon for a fictional character imo. Also they just plain look cool.

Last edited:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kōga-ryū
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ninja

Not certian what you mean by saying ninja are entirely fictional to begin with.

If you mean the hollyweird portrayal we get 90% of the time, then yes, I'll agree with you .

However, the Shinobi were very REAL mercenaries present in feudal japan

It's the Hollywood version which is what Ignite and Sideshow are selling. Shinobi I sincerely doubt ever wore anything like what we would call a Ninja. I edited my above post to be more specific.

Last edited:
AH! yes, the traditional Shinobi never wore"ninja" garb.
THe garb we think of, that ignite and Hollywood sell has it's origins in Kabuki performance art.

REAL shinobi would wear what any espionage agent would wear. They want to blend into the environment they were infiltrating.

Ninja like those depicted here are entirely fictional to begin with, the closest equivalent in ancient Japan would be an Shinobi assassin that would most likely have worn a disguise to make them blend in, so the camo costume is about just as plausible as the black theatrical costume Ninja are typically depicted in.

You do make a point, which is why I would prefer a grey or blue costume (it seems more likely). They probably did wear something similar to the traditional costume at times (in different colours), but as you say not always (most would, indeed, wear disguises; it depends on their function), but they seem to have had armour under their clothing if Ninja museums are to be believed. In fact shinobi are not only assassins, but also spies and saboteurs so they would have worn a variety of clothing.

The shinobi in the black might be a tad a-historical, but they have precedent due to their depiction in Japanese theatre and in prints from the time, or just after, that they existed in.

''Shinobi'' is also just an alternative reading of the Chinese character that make up the word ''Ninja/Shinobi''.

As for the Batleth, the two single handed crescent shaped weapons that come with the black costume set (they're listed as Batleths too) look closest to Deer Horn Knives which are traditional Chinese Martial Arts weapons.

I thought they looked like something a Chinese martial artist may have. I am not as knowledgeable on Chinese martial arts, but I am sure they are too big, however. Whatever the case, I think they make the figure look a tad ugly (and inaccurate, as Ninja did not use many Chinese weapons). :gah:

They seem to have done a search on the internet and found the ''Black Ronin Ninja Ring'', which, as you say, if entirely fictional but seemingly based on the weapon you mentioned. Though, the batleth I was refering to, actually comes with the camo ninja, and I mismatched the weapons. The weapon with the black ninja does look very ridiculous to me, anyway.

It's the Hollywood version which is what Ignite and Sideshow are selling. Shinobi I sincerely doubt ever wore anything like what we would call a Ninja. I edited my above post to be more specific.

To be fair, sometimes Japanese call ''shinobi-no-mono'' ''ninja'' too, it is just the on'yomi reading of ''忍者'', rather than the kun'yomi (which is more accurate to the native word). Shinobi is more traditional and more common (obviously), but due to the system of kanji, ''ninja'' is not technically incorrect, just far less common.

And they do appear in art from the Edo and Meiji era looking much like the ignite figures:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Hokusai-sketches---hokusai-manga-vol6-crop.jpg

This does not mean that a ninja, or shinobi, did look like that. It could idea be an artistic choice. However, I think it is more likely that they would have worn something like that for sabotage etc. but black is less likely than blue, brown or grey, because black doesn't really blend in as well in the dark, it is a little too dark most of the time. I think the perfect shinobi figure would include a peasant (or even samurai or monk) outfit along with the classic shinobi attire in blue or grey. The Ignite figures in black might not be historically accurate but they are artistically accurate, more or less.

AH! yes, the traditional Shinobi never wore "ninja" garb.

REAL shinobi would wear what any espionage agent would wear. They want to blend into the environment they were infiltrating.

I wouldn't say that they would not wear anything akin to what shinobi wear in prints (I would not call it ''Hollywood'' because the classic ''ninja'' is a Japanese convention from at least Hokusai's day, not an American one).

Other than the colour ''Ninja Outfits'' (shinobi shozoku) are actually pretty generic Japanese clothing, especially for travelers, workers or those in training. Shinobi would wear tighter fitting clothing, something like keikogi that is used today, or at least tuck in their loose clothing so it is worn tighter. They'd also probably have concealed their faces, or at least worn a zukin, which is a hood:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe...a_travel_cape_and_zunin_with_kusari_armor.jpg

THe garb we think of, that ignite and Hollywood sell has it's origins in Kabuki performance art.

It originated in Bunraku, I believe. Bunraku is a puppet theatre in which man dressed in black robes to disguise themselves whilst controlling puppets. It is similar to Kabuki.

Last edited:
My point exactly.

Is that your point? The newest ninja outfit makes no sense because the more stereotypical ''ninja'' is based on feudal art, whereas the black ninja with modern items of clothing was not. I said the modern black ninja was entirely fictional, not black ninja in general;

Image.aspx

Fictional because shinobi do not exist anymore, but more likely than a camo variant of old feudal Japanese clothing (which is sometimes worn today, but you'd never see any assassin or military personnel wearing them in camo!).

The black ninja that Ignite/Crazy Owners have released have not been entirely fictional for the simple reason that they do have some precedent in Japanese history as Bunraku performers and appear in prints or ink brush paintings as shinobi.

Hokusai_sketches_-_hokusai_manga_vol6.jpg

This image by Hokusai appeared in the 1810s, I believe. Whether or not shinobi looked like the black-clothed figures that Crazy Owners have put out (though I would like them to at least have grey and a disguise) does not worry me too much as I like art anyway.

Last edited:
I think we are ALL WELL AWARE that these Ninjas are fictional portrayal (or at least some parts of it) since this thread started back in 2007... :dunno

What's awesome about this hobby is that you have the option of NOT buying these, or if you do, NOT displaying your figures with the weapons from this set... Isn't that awesome???!! :D

Is that your point? The newest ninja outfit makes no sense because it is based on feudal art, whereas the black ninja with modern items of clothing was not. I said the modern black ninja was entirely fictional, not black ninja in general;

My point is that unless Ignite states that these are supposed to represent period figures with have to take them as fictional. They gave them the weapons they come with because they thought they looked cool.

My point is that unless Ignite states that these are supposed to represent period figures with have to take them as fictional. They gave them the weapons they come with because they thought they looked cool.

Who cares about the weapon? I'll certainly just leave it in the box. But Ignite/Crazy Owners did set out to make historical figures in specific eras so... Anyway to be honest, them being historical or not is not the ultimate gist of what I am saying. I am saying that camo kimono and hakama look ridiculous because they are traditional garments which are really only formal (and semi-formal) now, whereas camo is for practical purposes.

I am not really sure why people are getting a very slightly indignant about my criticism of the camo ninja uniform (and those silly weapons...which are do not at all care about because they might as well be free gifts that I'll not use at all). I just think that camo hakama and kimono look ridiculous ''is all''. :lecture I'd think they look ridiculous even if shinobi did not actually exist at all and were simply a western convention. The fact remains that they wear tattsuke hakama (pants with leggings) and kimono (''shirt''), real Japanese items of clothing that are from history, even if kimono and hakama are often warn today formally, and should ideally never be camo. Practical distractive-pattern camo, which is very modern, would never be worn with clothing that to modern eyes is impractical. Fictional assassin or not, he should still have believable clothing...in my humble opinion.

I'd certainly buy the black ninja, but I'll leave the camo one to others. I will, however, continue to voice my opinion that camo ninja look ridiculous and that Ignite/Crazy Owners should focus more on history or at least historical art (in the case of the black ninja they have released).

Last edited:
'cuz they're toys... :dunno

Is this a reply to me? :pfft:

Yes, they are toys but we are on a forum for the discussion of toys and I merely stated, for numerous reasons, that camo ninja look a bit too unbelievable. There is a different between something being fictional and something being completely unbelievable. The clothing of these ninja figures are pretty much real. With slight alterations they just pass for Bunraku performers or just characters from art pieces from the time (such as those of Hokusai). When you mix camo into the costume, it just ends up being a mishmash of modern practicality and feudal impracticality (which was practical at the time). Modern camo does not go with feudal clothing.

Also would you like camo knights? Camo high-society Georgian toffs? How about a camo viking? Maybe a camo Roman? A camo ninja is just as ridiculous as all these. :gah:

But you know what? I have said my piece and do not care that much to argue more about something I find silly and will not by. If people want a camo ninja more power to them. :wink1:

Actually, looking at the cut of these new sets, they appear to be more "SHo Kosugi" era ninja outfits than old school... the legs are much tighter and tapered toward the bottom... Me thinks they are supposed to be for that stylin modern ninja.

ILUVSkinner, Ignite made brown, black and white Ninjas as well as more fanciful red and camo versions, plenty of them for you to chose from.
I look at these as adding to my GI Joe display, which if you know anything about the Joes, they can get ridiculous but that's part of the fun.
The whole Ninja thing started with Enter the Ninja, there you could find all the weird colored Ninja that influenced all the Ninja movies from the 80's and especially influenced GI Joe. That's the influence here with Ignite's releases, Movies from the 80's, not history.

I'm sure you'll be happy with the Black Ignite set and a sword from the Shin Kenki Sword sets. You might even be able to sell the "Bat Leths" from the set and recoup the cost of the Gashapon swords. Also if you really need a dark blue Ninja, I hear the white Ignite set takes dyeing very well.

Is this a reply to me? :pfft:

Yes, yes it is...

Look dude, I love the fact that you're passionate about the subject matter and actually very knowledgeable of the topic. But the reality of things is that these are toys for fun. Yeah, a bit pricey and not mass-produced like stuff for kids... but still... it's pretty obvious this guys are a throwback to the very inaccurate movies from the 70's and 80's... that's all! :peace

Enjoy this everyone!!
:rock!

[ame]https://youtu.be/aWsNNu82x5Q[/ame]

I'm sure you'll be happy with the Black Ignite set and a sword from the Shin Kenki Sword sets. You might even be able to sell the "Bat Leths" from the set and recoup the cost of the Gashapon swords. Also if you really need a dark blue Ninja, I hear the white Ignite set takes dyeing very well.

I missed this. Thanks for this reply. :) Yes, I have no problem with the newer black ninja set. The ''Batleths'' are really stupid, but I can just give them away let alone sell them. :rotfl

And yeah, I have been meaning to dye some white ninja. Though arguing about camouflage ninja aside, I am actually more interested in creating historically accurate civilians or members of the samurai class and a few of the ninja clothing pieces are OK for ''work suits''. :lecture

Back