If you could, would you choose the sexuality of your child?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What sexuality would you choose for your child?

• I'd choose straight

Votes: 33 42.3%
  • I'd choose gay

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • I wouldn't choose at all

Votes: 42 53.8%

• Total voters
I have two daughters (twins). They are ten years old, so we're a few years off from potentially dealing with the subject.

But I love them unconditionally. I'm not a religious guy so I don't have a bunch of hangups. Perhaps the only concern I would have is worry about what this narrow minded world will do to my child.

If one of them came out to me as they grew older I think the only thing I might tell them is to not write off the possibility of being a mommy. I'm a proud dad and want to be a proud grandpa someday.

sure, that's why you have a straight son and a Lesbian daughter :lol. Really though, it would probably be the mother whose opinion matters the most, so chances of my ideal scenario happening is 0.1%

Not sure anyone would choose to have their child grow up gay in the society that we live in. They are still bullied and outcast because of their sexuality and what parent doesn't want their child to grow up happy and well adjusted and to have offspring of their own? Not saying that gay people can't be happy and well adjusted, but in our society, it really makes it difficult for them to be.

Not sure anyone would choose to have their child grow up gay in the society that we live in. They are still bullied and outcast because of their sexuality and what parent doesn't want their child to grow up happy and well adjusted and to have offspring of their own? Not saying that gay people can't be happy and well adjusted, but in our society, it really makes it difficult for them to be.

straight people are still bullied a lot too. In high school, I don't ever recall one instance of a LGBT teen being bullied cause of their sexuality. Like I said awareness is still growing, I feel and hope it won't be as big of an issue 10 years from now. Calling someone a Fa* will turn into the equation of black people being called N words in school systems.

Black people will never stop calling each other Ns even if white people stop.

It's something that should be left alone, and children should be allowed the freedoms to decide what they want with their lives. Experimenting with someone biologically, to force a desired change on their nature, is just morally and ethically wrong. Anyone who considers doing that to their children, does not deserve to be a parent, in my opinion.

It's something that should be left alone, and children should be allowed the freedoms to decide what they want with their lives. Experimenting with someone biologically, to force a desired change on their nature, is just morally and ethically wrong. Anyone who considers doing that to their children, does not deserve to be a parent, in my opinion.

Well I think the idea is that you could chose before there were any "repercussions" so to speak.

Well I think the idea is that you could chose before there were any "repercussions" so to speak.

Well, like I said, there are still moral and ethical repercussions to consider. It's essentially getting into eugenics, and creating designer children, if people have the ability to choose the sexuality of their kids, and tinker around with their genes.

Well, like I said, there are still moral and ethical repercussions to consider. It's essentially getting into eugenics, and creating designer children, if people have the ability to choose the sexuality of their kids, and tinker around with their genes.

I understand. I think it was a more straightforward question without all the possible complexities mixed. Now having said that, the reality would be an all too different answer. I would NOT want to mess with that.

I understand. I think it was a more straightforward question without all the possible complexities mixed. Now having said that, the reality would be an all too different answer. I would NOT want to mess with that.

Yeah, I was trying to be practical with my reasoning for this poll. But, I'd argue that even if it were possible for parents to magically, and forceably wish something upon their children, then it's still wrong. No one would like it if their wants and desires in life were all predetermined by someone else. I'd say that taking away a person's freedom to choose what they want with their own lives, is in a sense, stripping them of their humanity, and turning them into automatons.

Last edited:
I just had my third boy, now have three boys under 3. During each pregnancy I was asked what I hoped we were having since we did not find out. I just said I hope we were having a healthy baby.. I never cared what we had, boy or girl. Just hoped for the health of the baby and my wife. When people asked this last time if I was hoping for a girl I would tell them the same thing and at time change it up and say I hope I am having a puppy. But I always got the weirdest looks when I replied a baby instead of boy or girl.
Robert

I just said I hope we were having a healthy baby.

Exactly. During my wife's pregnancy we were shown an ultrasound and told there was a significant chance of a conjoined birth. Fortunately we lucked out, but that was a very scary time. All of life's other problems suddenly look very small when your children are at risk.

To anyone who can't deal with their kid growing up to be gay I hope they meet a parent someday who lost their child to illness. Because that's a parent would do anything to trade places.

I've seen a few people answering like as though the poll question is ''if you're child was gay would you still love them?''.

Its not, its ''would you predetermine them to be gay or straight if you could or would you just leave it up to chance''. I voted that I would choose for them to be straight - that doesn't mean that in reality, were my child to be gay, I would reject and cast him/her out.

I'm also getting the impression from some answers that people think its a choice, and you would somehow be taking away this choice - no you wouldn't be, because it isn't a choice. At no point did I consciously choose to be straight. I simply am.

Now if we were to get into discussion about ''curing'' people who are already gay and who are happily gay - yeah then I can see it being a moral issue.

I've seen a few people answering like as though the poll question is ''if you're child was gay would you still love them?''.

Its not, its ''would you predetermine them to be gay or straight if you could or would you just leave it up to chance''. I voted that I would choose for them to be straight - that doesn't mean that in reality, were my child to be gay, I would reject and cast him/her out.

I'm also getting the impression from some answers that people think its a choice, and you would somehow be taking away this choice - no you wouldn't be, because it isn't a choice. At no point did I consciously choose to be straight. I simply am.

Now if we were to get into discussion about ''curing'' people who are already gay and who are happily gay - yeah then I can see it being a moral issue.

:goodpost::exactly:

Back