If you could, would you choose the sexuality of your child?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What sexuality would you choose for your child?

• I'd choose straight

Votes: 33 42.3%
  • I'd choose gay

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • I wouldn't choose at all

Votes: 42 53.8%

• Total voters
^^So you think it's a decision, Dinolast?

I fear you perceive the world as being more progressive than it actually is. . .but yes, things are different now than they were 40 years ago or whatever. I think eventually we'll reach the point where it won't occur overtly in most places. But I wonder if the prejudice and stigma will ever go away completely.

Well. . .that's a reason :lol

Bullying is just not something I would be worried about. I feel like it will still happen, but schools are more conscious about that stuff with suicide awareness and it isn't tolerated. The Prejudice will never go away cause we will continue to live with dumbasses in this world. I hope Dinolast doesn't believe it's a choice.

^^So you think it's a decision, Dinolast?

I fear you perceive the world as being more progressive than it actually is. . .but yes, things are different now than they were 40 years ago or whatever. I think eventually we'll reach the point where it won't occur overtly in most places. But I wonder if the prejudice and stigma will ever go away completely.

Well. . .that's a reason :lol

No. I should not of typed decision. What I mean is she will know if she's gay or not when she's matured. I suppose you do choose if you're bisexual or you just fall in love with whoever. It's sometimes out of our own hands I guess

No. I should not of typed decision. What I mean is she will know if she's gay or not when she's matured. I suppose you do choose if you're bisexual or you just fall in love with whoever. It's sometimes out of our own hands I guess

That is an important distinction. I guess a gay tourist would technically be bisexual.

I feel like it will still happen, but schools are more conscious about that stuff with suicide awareness and it isn't tolerated.
Bullying (broadly speaking) is still very much tolerated in school. Laws have been enacted to try and curb some of it, but we still see kids bullied all the time. A quick google search gives me this:

https://www.bullyingstatistics.org/content/gay-bullying-statistics.html

"about 9 out of 10 LGBT teens have reported being bullied at school within the past year because of their sexual orientation, according to the most recent gay bullying statistics. Out of those numbers, almost half have reported being physically harassed followed by another quarter who reported actually being physically assaulted."

I think a more interesting discussion might be had in considering where you'd draw the line in choosing anything for your kid... get rid of a cancer gene, why not? But gender? Height? Eye colour? Etc.

Eliminating birth defects and health issues is where I'd draw the line. Once you get into things like eye color, hair color, gender, sexuality, it becomes a creepy eugenics scenario.

Bullying (broadly speaking) is still very much tolerated in school. Laws have been enacted to try and curb some of it, but we still see kids bullied all the time. A quick google search gives me this:

https://www.bullyingstatistics.org/content/gay-bullying-statistics.html

"about 9 out of 10 LGBT teens have reported being bullied at school within the past year because of their sexual orientation, according to the most recent gay bullying statistics. Out of those numbers, almost half have reported being physically harassed followed by another quarter who reported actually being physically assaulted."

your probably right on that, but out of all the issues facing LGBT teens, if I were a parent, I just feel like bullying is one thing I'm confident I could help one work through. At some point, WHEN gay marriage is legal in all states, I think those stats will drop dramatically too. Awareness continues to grow on the subject.

Serious?!
I thought you meant gender :slap
Is there any heterosexual couple on this planet that would choose to have a gay child? :cuckoo:

why not? Read my above posts and you have your answer. Have one Lesbian daughter so I don't have to worry about pregnancy and boyfriends and one straight son who can knock up however many ladies as he wants.

your probably right on that, but out of all the issues facing LGBT teens, if I were a parent, I just feel like bullying is one thing I'm confident I could help one work through. At some point, WHEN gay marriage is legal in all states, I think those stats will drop dramatically too. Awareness continues to grow on the subject.
So to summarize: you think bullying (i.e., the behavior of other kids in an environment you have little control over) is something you can handle, but pregnancy of your own daughter (i.e., the behavior of your own kid, presumably in the context of out-of-school activities where parents traditionally have some influence) is not?

So to summarize: you think bullying (i.e., the behavior of other kids in an environment you have little control over) is something you can handle, but pregnancy of your own daughter (i.e., the behavior of your own kid, presumably in the context of out-of-school activities where parents traditionally have some influence) is not?

:lol:lol:lol

well this is all theoretical right? I honestly don't think I would choose the sexuality of my child, but yea, I would be more scared about early pregnancy than bullying. Parents have more influence on pregnancy than bullying, but can't prevent either. Let me put it this way, pregnancy can be handled easier, but **** that, if I had the choice, I'd rather eliminate the possibility all together.

I have a feeling if this scenario were a real possibility, I would let nature choose, I'm just saying what deep down I would really want to make my life easier. I don't care either way...

Don't you want to see your kids raise their own, biological, family?
I do.
But agreed, not too young. Experience life first.

Back