If There's a Sequel to District 9...

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

...Should Wikus Revert to a Human or Remain a Prawn?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

YankeesFanboy

Super Freak
Reaction score
Wikus van der Merwe, an unassuming Afrikaner bureaucrat and run-of-the-mill Everyman, becomes a Prawn at the end of District 9, leaving behind his beautiful wife and a normal life.

Assuming Neill Blomkamp helms a sequel that includes the same characters, would you like to see Christopher Johnson and his son return with a cure for Wikus's condition? Or should he spend the rest of his days as a Prawn?

Wikus's fate reminds me of what happened to Gregor Samsa in Kafka's "The Metamorphosis." I believe that the search for a cure, as well as the liberation of Chris's kind, should be central to the plot, but that the cure should either remain elusive or be an impossibility.

Yes - Human

No - Prawn

wikus.jpg

There's been talks of a sequel for years now, I'd imagine it would happen sooner or later and I'd also assume that they would continue the story where it was left off. I think him fighting to find a cure would be the best bet, or the cure is in the hands of the father in law after Johnson's character returns with it; something to that effect. Ending, Wikus newly cured dying with his wife holding him.

No sequel. Would never work. District 9 works because of what it is. It's this isolated zone where a character study takes place. There's no other alien movie quite like it. The only way a sequel could work plot-wise would be an all out war with Christopher Johnson's return. No thanks. Way generic, just another Independence Day. Wouldn't work. It's perfect the way it is.

I prefer he keeps making films that seem like they could be taking place in the same alternate sci-fi world but at different times. Elysium feels like it could be the same earth D9 happened on but just a hundred years later.

No sequel. Would never work. District 9 works because of what it is. It's this isolated zone where a character study takes place. There's no other alien movie quite like it. The only way a sequel could work plot-wise would be an all out war with Christopher Johnson's return. No thanks. Way generic, just another Independence Day. Wouldn't work. It's perfect the way it is.

I prefer he keeps making films that seem like they could be taking place in the same alternate sci-fi world but at different times. Elysium feels like it could be the same earth D9 happened on but just a hundred years later.

I doubt a sequel will ever happen. D9 is great as it is. :clap

Viewed poll.

Didn't vote.

ohyoudude.jpg

No, seriously, perhaps I should have taken this opinion into consideration. :lol I'd love a sequel, but its very existence could cheapen/harm the potency of the first movie. Dang, you learn something new every day.

The first movie is touching because of Wikus' transformation. It makes him sympathetic to us but also makes him sympathetic towards the prawns. Taking that away to make him human instantly undoes all that. Chris Johnson returning to start a war is simply not interesting and too grandiose in scale compared to the first. There is no way to make the story satisfying.

I'm still praying for the Titanic sequel where Jack is unfrozen 70 years after the sinking of the great ship and becomes a stockbroker, using his wealth and vast Quaalude collection to cover for his broken heart.

Didn't vote because I think they should leave it be. A sequel could end up damaging the original like others have said...could end up being Matrix Reloaded...or worse, Revolutions :yuck

Back