IDM Customs

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: IDM Customs Paints and Custom Figures (Bourne & Payne)

This is a commission that started out as a straight repaint of the Hot Toys Indiana Jones head. The client bought a nude Indiana Jones body and had it shipped to me. As usual, I start nitpicking everything - his skin color is too dark. His eye colors aren't right. His eyeballs are grey. Grey! Who has grey eyeballs? His neck is much too thick for the head. The eyes sockets are too thick for the eyeballs to sit in. His face is too wide. And on and on and the next you thing you know, I'm taking every little thing apart and working everything from the ground up.

I sanded and trimmed down the inside of his eye sockets. I shaved down the sides of the neck and the shoulders so his neck doesn't look bigger than his head. I heat shaped the head so it looks a bit more narrow and trimmed down the inside neck/eye tool so the face can sit better. I then repainted the entire body with a silicone based paint so he can still articulate without the paint getting rubbed or scratched off. I also repainted the actual eyeballs themselves and re-glossed them so his eyes didn't look so grey. I repainted both hair pieces so his hair is a little bit lighter and then finally repainted the whole head and assembled him back together. The clothes are from the Sideshow Indy which I got from another client to do a repaint.

One note - my camera is about 5 years old and the colors look really weird. You can see that some photos it makes the colors look too green and other shots look too pale. Some reds are too red and some are too pink. He looks much better in person. One of these days when I become rich I'll actually get a nice SLR to take some good pics. :p

PS - I want to thank Dsokyra for letting me do whatever I want to this guy. Thanks for the vote of confidence Dan! Hope you like him. :)

indy6.jpg

indy7.jpg

indy5.jpg

indy4.jpg

indy2.jpg

indy1.jpg

Re: IDM Customs Paints and Custom Figures (Hot Toys Indy Rework)

Love the skin tones you use John there very realistic in person, great job again man!

Wow man that is just fantastic, I absolutely see Ford in the sculpt now.

Goodbye black lines!

Thanks guys!

One of the problems I see is the neck on the body. It's much too wide so I think they sculpted the face to match the neck/eye tool so it made his face look wider than Ford's face. It was a fun project and took way longer than I expected. :p

John, quick one. What do you think about the SS Moisture Farmer Luke headsculpt. Does it come close to the Trooper disguise one ?

John, quick one. What do you think about the SS Moisture Farmer Luke headsculpt. Does it come close to the Trooper disguise one ?

If I may chime in ...

Before seeing this repaint, I would have said Stormie Luke, but now we can see just how good the Tatooine one is.

Really great details added to that body and Indiana Jones Head Sculpt. Nice one!

Thanks guys!

Annihilate - I'm not sure. I don't think I've seen that head. I don't own a whole lot of figures at this point and most of what I do have I got from trades. Having a wife and 2 kids takes a lot out of hobby spending. Hehe. If I get some more Lukes in to paint, I can compare, but this is the only Luke I got so far. I have a Han Solo coming though. I missed out on some really great figures coming into this hobby so late. :(

If I may chime in ...

Before seeing this repaint, I would have said Stormie Luke, but now we can see just how good the Tatooine one is.

:exactly:

Thanks guys!

Annihilate - I'm not sure. I don't think I've seen that head. I don't own a whole lot of figures at this point and most of what I do have I got from trades. Having a wife and 2 kids takes a lot out of hobby spending. Hehe. If I get some more Lukes in to paint, I can compare, but this is the only Luke I got so far. I have a Han Solo coming though. I missed out on some really great figures coming into this hobby so late. :(

Thanks for the feedback John. Btw sent you a follow-up PM on our previous conv. :hi5:

Re: IDM Customs Paints and Custom Figures (Uncharted Drake and Sully)

Scully looks great but Nate whle the paint is great just dose not look like him. Can't wait to see the clothes and leather work.

Re: IDM Customs Paints and Custom Figures (Uncharted Drake and Sully)

Sully 100% down. Drake imho opinion the likeness is there. However... it's not that it doesn't look like him it's the way his head was shaped. Demonstration of my take:
Left Original, Right Image squeezed.

As you can see the face is too long, and if ya squeeze the image length and not the width you can see that's a very definite likeness. Not sure if you could fix that, but that's just my opinion.

comparewz.jpg

Back