How prepared are you for the next pandemic?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This thread is wild :lol

Just Friends Shake GIF by Amy Winehouse

Interesting topic. From what I observed in my country (Canada) the best preparation is your financial independence.

I personally believe many people weren’t enthused about taking a vaccine approved under emergency use and with a laundry list of potential side effects, they did so under the coercive method of having their employment threatened.

If you work towards having minimal to zero debt, have a healthy emergency fund established (savings) and perhaps own your home, you are empowered to make a decision that’s best for YOU, free from the preverbal gun to your head and the risk of loosing everything.

The biggest issue from this entire experience is that the forum of open debate and discussion was abolished. We had various medical professionals censored if they offered a different viewpoint or alternate method of treatment. How one side can claim to be the ultimate authority on a matter that was largely still developing is asinine.

I sincerely hope we do not allow ourselves to be put into this position again and don’t play into their typical fear mongering playbook.

Interesting topic. From what I observed in my country (Canada) the best preparation is your financial independence.

I personally believe many people weren’t enthused about taking a vaccine approved under emergency use and with a laundry list of potential side effects, they did so under the coercive method of having their employment threatened.

If you work towards having minimal to zero debt, have a healthy emergency fund established (savings) and perhaps own your home, you are empowered to make a decision that’s best for YOU, free from the preverbal gun to your head and the risk of loosing everything.

The biggest issue from this entire experience is that the forum of open debate and discussion was abolished. We had various medical professionals censored if they offered a different viewpoint or alternate method of treatment. How one side can claim to be the ultimate authority on a matter that was largely still developing is asinine.

I sincerely hope we do not allow ourselves to be put into this position again and don’t play into their typical fear mongering playbook.
Treudo won the erection by landslide. i am sure most canadians do not agree with your views.

Treudo won the erection by landslide. i am sure most canadians do not agree with your views.
That’s the issue with our first past the post system. During the last two elections, the Conservatives actually garnered more votes (the popular vote). So, more voters voted against Trudeau.

Trudeau also said before the election he would NOT have vaccine mandates & passports because they would be “divisive“ (his own words).

And then after the election he implemented vaccine mandates & passports anyways and used it as a wedge issue.

He’s now languishing in the polls.

I try not to pay too much attention to the news and the like, but is there a good chance we'll go thru another pandemic so soon? As opposed to the "once every 100 years or so" occurrence.

I try not to pay too much attention to the news and the like, but is there a good chance we'll go thru another pandemic so soon? As opposed to the "once every 100 years or so" occurrence.
times like these i would watch the news because i need to know if i could go to the supermarket the next day and whether i need a health pass to ride the buses. the news the fastest and most accurate source. there maybe early previews from leaked online sources but it isnt confirmed until it is officially.

I have what I have, get more when I need or want it. I'm not overly concerned with stockpiling ammunition in fear of the apocalypse that may never happen, and if it does no amount of bullets will stop it. Nothing wrong with prepping, but I have others things that need my focus and time / money that doesn't include collectables... lol.

It's "work" that has me concerned more than anything else. The decisions employees need to make and how this effect the company. Not just the company I work for, but all of our vendors and customers who are going through the same thing. Manufacturing, so I do not work from home.

I've long held that your flexibility to survive any major "catastrophe", barring pure raw luck, has an inverse relationship with the number of obligations the person has and the complexity behind them.

I'm mentioning this because you are discussing your work, and for some people, their only obligation in life is their work ( i.e. they don't have a marriage nor kids nor elderly parents to care for, etc, etc) I'm not saying that's going to exactly be you of course.

But if someone has a newborn, then you need baby formula. OK, what happens if it runs out. Because it has before in the past few years. What will a person do or say or violate or compromise to get some? The more you go out there, in that mindset and with that reality, the more risks you take. The more obligations you have, the more risk is implied. It's almost like, and I am not minimizing major tragedies in the world, but like a video game. On the first level, you get your fists or a crowbar or a hockey stick. Then you have to explore, fight, get your skills up, find more resources, find more assets, find more allies, and then you are more well built to survive the "universe" around you. However outside of a video game, each movement to achieve those things while under duress, starving, attrition, and threats around you, that's ripe with non stop lethality weighing over you.

There's the saying - "Better to bleed more in training than do that bleeding in war" I.E. get it done while times are more prosperous. But once you have obligations like kids or the like, you can't really prepare for someone like that. Now a life without obligation, I don't know if that's better either. It's having good people around us, if we are that fortunate in this life, that gives life some aspect of meaning. A good life is one that's shared. I've always held that. But I've also held that you have to be very careful in who is in that share circle with you.

I do believe though, that life is best lived by living "in the present" We have to consider the future. Especially those with kids. We have to reflect on the past, because it's how we learn and adapt. But all I get promised is today, right now, right at this moment. If things fell apart, I don't think I'd last too long. I have sort of a high conflict personality type. I'm comfortable with casual violence. I'm aligned to the mindset where "If it's going to happen eventually anyway, it might as well be right now, and I'll be the one to start it since that's actually an advantage"

But for the sake of my little nephew and as good will to the overall larger community here, I hope I'm wrong ( I think our society has about 10-15 years left of practical "function") and there are better times for everyone ahead. There are many really cool and good people in our hobby, many more than great people here on this site. Also many thoughtful and decent people out in the world. I try not to forget that. And I'm always grateful for that. But I'll always have it in the back of my mind on how the "masks" that people wear tend to fall off when they've starved long enough, gone too far without a hot shower or real shelter or any hope for some kind of help/rescue.

Two sayings my uncle used to say to me as a kid that have formed guide posts for me in this regard

1) "If they wouldn't give you the kitten, then you don't want to buy the cat."

2) "Not my circus. Not my monkeys."

I've long held that your flexibility to survive any major "catastrophe", barring pure raw luck, has an inverse relationship with the number of obligations the person has and the complexity behind them.

I'm mentioning this because you are discussing your work, and for some people, their only obligation in life is their work ( i.e. they don't have a marriage nor kids nor elderly parents to care for, etc, etc) I'm not saying that's going to exactly be you of course.

But if someone has a newborn, then you need baby formula. OK, what happens if it runs out. Because it has before in the past few years. What will a person do or say or violate or compromise to get some? The more you go out there, in that mindset and with that reality, the more risks you take. The more obligations you have, the more risk is implied. It's almost like, and I am not minimizing major tragedies in the world, but like a video game. On the first level, you get your fists or a crowbar or a hockey stick. Then you have to explore, fight, get your skills up, find more resources, find more assets, find more allies, and then you are more well built to survive the "universe" around you. However outside of a video game, each movement to achieve those things while under duress, starving, attrition, and threats around you, that's ripe with non stop lethality weighing over you.

There's the saying - "Better to bleed more in training than do that bleeding in war" I.E. get it done while times are more prosperous. But once you have obligations like kids or the like, you can't really prepare for someone like that. Now a life without obligation, I don't know if that's better either. It's having good people around us, if we are that fortunate in this life, that gives life some aspect of meaning. A good life is one that's shared. I've always held that. But I've also held that you have to be very careful in who is in that share circle with you.

I do believe though, that life is best lived by living "in the present" We have to consider the future. Especially those with kids. We have to reflect on the past, because it's how we learn and adapt. But all I get promised is today, right now, right at this moment. If things fell apart, I don't think I'd last too long. I have sort of a high conflict personality type. I'm comfortable with casual violence. I'm aligned to the mindset where "If it's going to happen eventually anyway, it might as well be right now, and I'll be the one to start it since that's actually an advantage"

But for the sake of my little nephew and as good will to the overall larger community here, I hope I'm wrong ( I think our society has about 10-15 years left of practical "function") and there are better times for everyone ahead. There are many really cool and good people in our hobby, many more than great people here on this site. Also many thoughtful and decent people out in the world. I try not to forget that. And I'm always grateful for that. But I'll always have it in the back of my mind on how the "masks" that people wear tend to fall off when they've starved long enough, gone too far without a hot shower or real shelter or any hope for some kind of help/rescue.

Two sayings my uncle used to say to me as a kid that have formed guide posts for me in this regard

1) "If they wouldn't give you the kitten, then you don't want to buy the cat."

2) "Not my circus. Not my monkeys."
Work is important because I have a lot of people that depend on me (people I've worked with for almost 20 years) and I'm not independently wealthy. I work very hard (approx. 60 hrs weeks min) and take pride in what I do. Because it matters to me, the company I work for, my coworkers, and my customers.

If this was to end I'd find new employment, It's that simple.
It would suck but life moves on.

We all have our personal lives to deal with and wherever your decisions have led you.
Do your best and ask for help if you need to.

Last edited:
Back