How much is too much for a single 1/6th figure?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is your limit for a mass produced 1/6th scale figure?

• Total voters
It's interesting because I guess it falls down to what you ultimately like and what you are willing to pay for it. For example, I think Premium formats are way the hell overpriced. There is far less engineering and the paint jobs are far less complex. It's a hunk of resin with an outfit over top of it, and sideshow can;t even touch hot toys or many of the other 1/6 companies when it comes to quality.
I had a couple PFs and I'm selling them or have sold them. The only one I hang onto is Gambit because in my opinion comic figures are easier to translate for sideshow since they don't have to worry about realism, likeness, major craftsmanship or anything other than very elemental paintwork.

Many 1/6 piece's will gradually cost over Five.
Igor just cost me over Five.
Hulkbuster will probably cost over Seven and I Absolutely will pay it as will MANY people!

Collectors like this are the reason why the prices keep going up. Unfortunately, the attitude of ill pay whatever you charge will not cease and well keep paying more and more every year.

For a base fig with no extras, i think $200 is tops. I know peeps always use the licensing fee to justify HT prices, but look at DID. Their quality is on par with HT and cost half of what an HT will cost. is it an official fig? no, but many dont care.

As long as I'm otherwise buying very little I'd probably pay what they're asking for a character that I want badly enough but certainly the high prices do and will continue to dissuade me from making purchases that were unplanned. Impulse buying is gone.

Great post.This goes for me as well.But really,with the exception of Mad Max and James Bond and more Marvel offerings
,I'm sorted now figure-wise.

This question doesn't have a one size fits all answer for me. It really depends on the character and how the figure looks/what accessories it comes with. For the most part I've long said that when most figures hit $300 or more that I'd be out. I don't think that's happening anytime soon though. There are obviously examples of figures getting higher but by and large most figures seem to be between $200 and $250, which at this point I'm comfortable enough paying for now. I think Hot Toys realizes that there is a cap for most of their figures that if they go over they'll end up sitting on stock. On the flip side certain characters are almost guaranteed money and they can slap a higher price tag on those figures and people will buy them up.

DX13 was 314.99 - probably one of the first 300+ truetype figure? and anyone who owns it can attest to the fact that it is amazing...probably my favorite figure of a character I love...as expensive it is - it comes with so much posing options that its like getting two figures. to see figures like Ancient predator and BR 2.0 hit $260+ is def scary. To see Darth Vader at $299.99 is crazy... I think the market does dictate price reductions in the end - the recent black friday was an example - there are a plethora of figures that even if they are released at a high price they don't sell and go for $50-60+ below retail.

One thing ill say is that back in the day where hot toys always included parts like additional heads and figures were the 150 proce range, nothing was newly as well executed as it is today. That being said they are all ****ing overpriced but they are more addictive than crack.

This thread needs a companion poll thread. Something along the lines of "How far above your limit will you pay for a figure you've convinced yourself you need?"

One thing ill say is that back in the day where hot toys always included parts like additional heads and figures were the 150 proce range, nothing was newly as well executed as it is today. That being said they are all ****ing overpriced but they are more addictive than crack.

You might have to look a bit farther back than $150. R&B Spidey and Leonidas are just two I can recall that still hold up. Minus the head sculpts Mk 1 and OC Bats are just about on par with their 2.0/variant counterparts. I think about the Solo and Obi Wan protos and wonder wtf have they really learned? Is the Star Wars Darth Vader 200% better than the original Sideshow version? What is HT really delivering on that money? It has taken them a few goes to get Arnie and RDJ and Heath nutted out (arguably), and it'd be generous to suggest it was the price tag that finally got them there. My addiction is waning. For me the crack is twice the price as it used to be but only marginally better.

The elephant in the room that few acknowledge in the debate is demand. The more ppl want something the hirer the price goes. And any company would be foolish to ignore that. supply and demand is the cornerstone of any free market economy.

And fueling this debate is the other elephant in the room: ppl are being priced out of collecting. It's not a kid's activity by any stretch. These are more luxury items now than anything. You can buy hulk buster or get a new hot water heater. Buy Igor or send your kid to summer camp. The appeal of these figures is so broad now the manufacturer can thin the herd and cater to those with deeper pockets. Meaning some of us will be shut out.

Luckily I have for now more interest in less wider audiences, more open to custom figures - neither got into Hot Toys and Sideshow (apart from the Joker 2.0 which I got out of a business friend and loose, which is more than ok to my display and collection, so price was really low) - and doing custom figures starting with a 30USD head is not pricey

I am paying 600 for a custom, handamde figure - but that's it
Regular release Hot Toys etc - with no diecast, high number production pieces and no size problem - as Hulk etc - well, to me it would be realistic they won't pass the 200$ mark

Different idea and limit for custom or very small run, high quality custom figure - I am open to more. But sincerely, even seeing the sculpt quality, the clothes tailoring and every licence etc - I don0t see wht one mass produced figure should cost more than 200$

This thread needs a companion poll thread. Something along the lines of "How far above your limit will you pay for a figure you've convinced yourself you need?"

I agree. In fact all threads need companion threads asking the same thing but in different words.

I've been thinking of a new way to pretty much just post a wishlist thread that doesn't have ''wishlist'' in the title. It's a bit longwinded but I like it: ''What figures could Hot Toys make that would ensure you never again complain about another Iron Man release?''

I like it, I'm just not bold enough to post it.

$180-250 is what I expect to pay for typical releases, $250-$350 for IM release.

$500 is pretty much reserved for what I consider grail figures, any cost over that is an instant pass at this scale for me.

Last edited:
Blondie (Eastwood) in 1/6 has always been a grail of mine. When Rainman, I believe it was, was going to release the main characters from The GBU I was very happy. Then I saw the price, $600 I think. There was no way I was paying that amount. I understand the work that went into making them, but I just couldn't and still can't justify the price. Even the latest Iminime version tempted me but cost was too high.
He is still a grail. My max is $300, but not much more when I take into account shipping and tax.
I'm pretty much priced-out, not due to financial reasons just what I feel comfortable dishing out for dollies.

I'm perfectly happy with my $300+ purchase of Robocop, and it definitely feels like something worthy of the price, but that is definitely not an amount I plan to pay again for a LONG while.

For the most part I'd say $250 is my limit, but that also means I'm being a lot more picky with the figures I DO order. I frankly find myself spending more time trolling ebay for older figures I missed out on than preordering newer and more expensive stuff.

I went through my previous order's to see what i paid, sometime's get caught up in excitement like a kid at toy store and you just got to have something if it call's to you. I noticed 300 realy is top of the flippin mark and last time i was happy with that i got a huge HULK or 2 LUKE SKYWALKERS or a dx joker with a ton of stuff and dx13 terminator and those realy were kinda grails to me. I noticed each time i either used rewards or justify by it being a FAVORITE character. I still love each one of my higher priced items like The batmobile and paying for a delorean are differnt conversation's but still crazy price's for toy cars but give me great joy to my house n life. I'm betting most IRONMAN FANS wont be found in this thread or conversation. I know budget Stark touched on this with inflation ,and payng likeness rights and cost of making and shipping to our door. The fact of matter i laugh at people who bought hi priced clothes n customs at hundreds of dollars and customs heads to say who has best ledger joker is a comical to me. I only break my rule on possible big a$$ figure's like hulk buster or another hulk. I have not bought the robcop or armory batman or any overpriced 2 packs. It realy does feel like hot toys is fishing with some of the price's on how many will bite? I see the bat armory with alfred , Bruce , bats at 625 and feel if they realy wanted me to buy it be 400 tops for the set but thats just for a complete armory. I' m not rich at all and probably shouldnt be collecting these figure's on my budget. Only reason i'm still able to is because of flex paying many or all my figure's. I think if we didnt have flexpay a lot of collectors wouldnt collect nearly as much. I'm very appreciative of the 2nd hand market n rewards to cut corners. I think bottm line no more then 300 on a figure and it better be a grail or loaded. Only time i'll go above if its a huge figure almost 1/4 figure or is 1/4 figure and we have yet to see price for THANOS and Hulkbuster ,hopefully they stay moderately priced.

Back