How many pre-ordered PF Spike & if not, how come?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Preordered Spike PF the first day it became available, same with Buffy PF, and all the Buffy 12” figures, and I have every intention of keeping all the preorders. I’ll do the same for Angel PF and whatever 12” is left (fingers crossed). I’m doing the same for Star Wars (PF and 12” – I don’t bother with 4” or 6” or busts/statues etc on either line), and will continue to do so as long as money isn’t an issue (knock on wood—I know I’ve been lucky on that). Those two lines are the only ones I’m sticking through thick and thin on, and it’s mostly because of the source material. I can’t imagine not loving Buffy and Angel five, ten, fifteen years down the road. These were, to me, THE best “free” television I’ve ever seen. Even season six and seven of Buffy, what I think were the weakest, were better than just about everything else on tv at the time. I couldn’t say the same for Bond, Hellboy, or most of the LOTR poly that I’ve resold since buying them from SS (though I’m going to try the LOTR 12” instead). YMMV, of course.

While money isn’t an issue, space sure is. I’ve got 100 of 200 total Dragon figures that I’m slowly unloading to ease the crunch. Still, between the LEGO (my other big space-hogging collection), LOTR poly I decided to keep, Star Wars, historical military, and Buffy, I can easily see the potential for another inevitable purge. The next to go will be the rest of the historical military, then X-Files (have all the 12") but they might have to bury my Buffy stuff with me.

I have Spike preordered, he's my favorite character from the show. But to be honest I don't know how many other PF's I would buy from this series. I got the two I wanted Buffy and Spike.

A friend of mine who doesn't have a single other item by Sideshow, or any 12" figures from anyone for that matter, ordered the Spike PF because he likes BTVS and he thought the PFs were cool when I showed him some pics. However, he didn't order the Buffy PF for two reasons. First, He doesn't believe it's worth the $250 esp. when you put it side by side with other $250 PFs like the KISS figures, John Wayne, Hellboy, Punisher, and SO many others. (I feel the same way but ordered Buffy anyway) And second, he, unlike myself, is willing to wait and see if Sideshow puts out a better outfitted PF Buffy down the line.

I REALLY hope that Sideshow decides to put out another Buffy PF in an action pose and detailed outfit next year I have more than one room so I can use more than one Buffy PF!!

I would LOVE to order both Buffy and Spike PF's, but regrettably I had to make a decision for both space and money reasons. I was already collecting the Universal Monster PF's and the Star Wars PF's when SS announced Buffy PF's! My house won't be getting any bigger, and my paycheck isn't expanding significantly any time soon, so.... Perhaps if the Buffy PF's had started coming out before I was already collecting other lines, I feel certain I would have jumped on these without hesitation. Believe me, it's painful to NOT order these as I think they're both fabulous, and I want to support the line for future releases. However, I will, with much regret, be passing on the Buffy PF line. :monkey2 :monkey2 :monkey2

(On a brighter note from my perspective, I collect ALL the 1/6 Buffy/Angel figures, and they're oh so much fun to pose and play with!) :monkey3 :lol

ffl1940 said:
And second, he, unlike myself, is willing to wait and see if Sideshow puts out a better outfitted PF Buffy down the line.

I REALLY hope that Sideshow decides to put out another Buffy PF in an action pose and detailed outfit next year I have more than one room so I can use more than one Buffy PF!!

Ain't gonna happen. You can bank on it. :monkey3 :monkey3 :monkey3

Protozaius said:

I'm not reading the board enough to know who is who. Do you have a contact within Sideshow that told you that? I hadn't heard it anywhere else. Or is that just a guess based on past performance? (Buffy has sold better than quite a few other PFs have BTW). If so I don't think that means much. If Sideshow doesn't have people smart enough to figure out that a fully equipped/outfitted action-pose Buffy PF would sell better than one standing still based off of a promotional picture with hardly any outfit/accessories then they should get out of the business...not that I want them to!!! :D

I like the Buffy outfit and pose. Buffy doesn't really have a signature outfit. I'd rather see Sideshow do something simple and do it well than attempt something complex and fail to pull it off.

ffl1940 said:
Protozaius said:

Have you guys seen the Attakus Buffy in action statue?
It's a great idea although looks nothing like Buff IMO.
I doubt SS will release another PF Buffy too but if they do an Action Buffy is a fantastic idea. No room for 2 PF Buffy's but I'd definitely make room for that one!!

The list is looking a little healthier having now 22 homes for SPIKE
olvidadero
Darth Rage
Aerosmith
BDboystoys
Oxbeard
adrijami
Dayna
Games&Theory
FrankenFan
Cookie Monster x 2
Fritz
DarkshadowCollectibles
Billy Budd
Oldschool Jawa
SSC_Nerd
TheObsoleteMan
sueworld
TOE (apologies, I read your post thinking it meant you were still undecided. don't get the whip out kay? :eek: )
binky - $$$ bags :D
Viking28
ffl1940

Oh migwit, I feel your pain I really do. Is there nothing you can sell? That's been my solution in the past...

and HEY, how many posts does it take to be not 'just a little freaky' anyway ???

Knowing how the Buffy line has progressed, it's a safe bet that if no one buys this PF Buffy, then there won't be any more PF buffies.

It was said in chat by a SSC person that the reason she's in such a minimalist outfit is that they wanted to devote the development resources to the figure, rather than the outfit.

Darklord Dave said:
Knowing how the Buffy line has progressed, it's a safe bet that if no one buys this PF Buffy, then there won't be any more PF buffies.
I don't get it, the PF Buffy has sold out.

It was said in chat by a SSC person that the reason she's in such a minimalist outfit is that they wanted to devote the development resources to the figure, rather than the outfit.

Funnily enough the outfit was a major selling point for me (especially my hubby :rolleyes: )

"It's sold out of a very small edition size."

I know people love Buffy (as I do), but I really do believe that the popularity of Star Wars and LOTR have skewed how people look at something being a success judging by edition size. You just cannot compare Buffy to Lord of the Rings, Marvel, or Star Wars when it comes to edition sizes, and thus how "successful" the line is. Sideshow was making PF figures before they got those licenses with lower production numbers. Those lines have more fans, thus more will be made and sold.

Instead you need to look at other PFs that aren't from those lines and compare Buffy to them.

Sean Connery's PF (2000 made) as Bond didn't sell out but that didn't stop Sideshow from Brosnan as Bond (1250) who also hasn't sold out but that didn't stop Sideshow from making Roger Moore as Bond (only 400!!!!). Now, I don't think there will be a PF George Lazenby (limited to only 3!!! :lol ) but Sideshow showed they were willing to continue with a line with some very small numbers.

Captain Kirk and Spock (only 1000 of each) took a LONG time to sell out and yet Seven of Nine was make a couple years later (and only 600 total of her, less than Buffy)

Sideshow announced the KISS line with lots of hoopla, but with only 200 of each of them as exclusives they have't sold any of those out, but I still think we'll see more rock stars.

Regarding giving Buffy a minimalist outfit to devote resources to the figure itself. I believe what they're trying to say is that because they have to sculpt an entire unique body for Buffy, instead of just hands, head and feet like they do with some figures that have clothes to cover them up that the body cost more money. How do they explain Hellboy, or a KISS figure having both unique exposed chests but being the same price with far more elaborate outfits, and for heaven's sake, the Green Goblin is only $50 more but has FAR FAR more sculpting costs than must have been involved.

It's just my opinion, and I don't run a successful collectibles company, but I believe the current Buffy PF would have been more successful at $200, like some earlier PFs were priced. I also think that they could have sold more at $250 if (using their own statement about costs being in the body) if they'd forgotten about that, done a full outfit to cover the "body" and really gone all-out with the costume/accessories and made a season 7 final battle Buffy with the scythe. Using their own logic, if they didn't have to sculpt the fully body they could have done a fully equipped and outfitted figure for that price like Punisher Hellboy, Van Helsing, John Wayne, KISS and so many others.

At the VERY least, the exclusive version could have had something better than the lump of polystone book!!!

I will hold out hope, based on the history of the Bond PFs and other non Mega-License PFs that we'll see another Buffy PF, unless I hear otherwise direct from a Sideshow rep.

Again, I say all this as someone who is buying Buffy, imagine what I'd post if I was ticked enough to not buy it!!! :rotfl

I was very happy to see a season one Buffy selected as the inaugural figure in what I hope will be an ongoing line of Buffyverse PFs, but I agree that basing the design on the early publicity photos may have been a bit of a misstep in the sense that those shoots portray Buffy as serious, reluctant, almost vulnerable, rather than the sassy, confident, courageous girl we meet in the series.

I was the one who asked Tom Gilliland about the decision to keep it simple, and this was his reply:

SideshowTom: our concern was keeping the project manageable considering we weren't sure how well-received a Buffy i n 1/4 scale might be
SideshowTom: working on the body and trying out a different type of long hair was really where most of the R&D went.

I can definitely see where the money was spent on the body; It's SMG right down to her knobby knees and man-hands, but I think the figure as it stands could have been improved simply and inexpensively by adding a few simple accessories like the funky, colorful bubble-rings she wore, and of course, her signature cross necklace.

I can certainly understand the desire for a more elaborate costume. Buffy had a charming, idiosyncratic sartorial style, typical of a 16-year old girl experimenting with fashion that was an essential part of her role of helpless school girl by day and heroic slayer by night.

But picking an "iconic" Buffy is not an easy task. I think A "Chosen" Buffy, as described by ffl1940 would be killer, as would "Never Kill A Boy On Your First Date, (When the apocalypse comes, beep me!)" "Graduation Day, Part 1 (Faith smackdown)," or "Anne (Hunga-Munga)" Buffys. She may have a signature style but, as BillyBudd observed, she did not have one particular signature outfit.

My main concern right now is that the changes made to the figure since the introduction of the prototype at Toy Fair are not, IMO, improvements.

To get slightly back on topic: Don't hold the people who frequent message boards as barometers for how well a product will sell. If we were truly the purveyors of success, Snakes On A Plane and Serenity would have made POTA money.

wvb.jpg

While I do agree that the edition sizes of Sideshow Star Wars items have the appearance of skewing things, I really do think there is more going on than JUST that.

Gone are the days where Buffy figures have the edition sizes of 7000-6000.

A telling sign that things have changed drastically in the last few years is the edition size of Cordelia. I was pretty shocked to see that she was only 1500! WOW and it's A CORE character that Buffy fans have been wanting for YEARS!!! To compare, Der Kindestod, a one-shot villian, edition size is 2500. What a difference in expectation this represents. And Sideshow has PLENTY of Kindestods left... I'm sure Sideshow wishes they had pared down that particular figure sooner.

I think that Buffy is viewed by Sideshow as a waning property... one that was once VERY profitable but now is just turning a profit. Just how far Sideshow is willing to go... to ride this downward trend is uncertain. But they are aware of this trend. That is why they were conservative with the first (and probably ONLY) Buffy PF. And their suspicions were correct. She was a slow seller. Would they have made more money if they had Buffy in a more action pose? Maybe. But the fact that Sideshow wouldn't gamble on it speaks volumes on how they view the property. My thoughts, I think that MOST PFs don't have overly active poses. They tend to be iconic poses... which may not be that of action. The Star Wars PFs of Han, Luke, Leia, Dagobah Luke, and Boba come to mind.. as well as ALL of the Universal Monster ones. I also think that subtle poses display better... they draw attention but do not DEMAND too much attention. Again, just my two cents

Bond is an interesting property. Unlike Buffy, it is a franchise that is still active... there is a new Bond film opening later on this year. And when there is a new one in theaters, there is always re-newed interest in the past Bond films... marathons of Bond films become plentiful. And since there is a new actor playing Bond this time, there is going to be some emphasis on who has played Bond in the past. So Sideshow wisely unveils "The Legacy" Bond collection. But the edition sizes have been fairly small... compared to the first Dr. No Bond figure which had an edition size of 15,000 (I believe). As you detailed, the Bond PF editions have dropped significantly since the first one.

As for the Star Trek PF, I spoke to SS VP Mat Falls about them and he said the Sideshow staff was VERY surprised that those didn't sell. The ONLY reason they released a Sebven of Nine is becuase she was already far into the planning steps when the line tanked. So they adjusted the edition size accordingly so they can limit the loss and curb any overstock. You can also bank that there will be no more Star Trek PFs.

As for your the Kiss PFs, I think of it two ways. One, I think they are deemed a set and Sideshow set of edition low to accomodate those few of us that would be willing to buy all of them. Two, Kiss is a well worn property. Maybe the expectation was low to begin with. Finally and more significantly, the Music Legends PF line has the potential to cater to a different pool of collectors for each and every offering. For example, I have NO interest in a Kiss PF,let alone FOUR of them. Nor would I buy a Johnny Cash PF or an Elvis PF. But if Sideshow sees fits to make a Freddie Mercury PF... I would buy it without even blinking. Queen has meant SO much to me over the years that I would lift my personal ban on PFs to obtain him.

I'm not sure how many people will view this Music Legends line as one to "collect them all". Musical tastes are varied across the board. The same person that would buy a Elvis PF may not be the same person that would buy a Janis Joplin PF. So if the Kiss line is viewed as a failure (I'm not sure that it is) it's not something that will sink the line. I think that there is generally a high hopes for this line for both Sideshow and collectors.

Here are some questions that I find myself asking about the sales of Sideshow Figures

- So how many figures does Sideshow have to sell to order for that figure to be considered a success? It's probably a sliding scale... factors like licensing and material fees probably play a part in the equation.

- At what rate should a figure sell in order for Sideshow to view that figure a success? A sold out figure is a sold out figure. Does it matter if it takes 2 hours or two weeks or two months... or two years. Again the edition size plays into this.

- Does the introduction of a new figure in a line hinged upon the success of the previous figures. Confused? Here's an example. The movie Serenity. Universal wanted the movie to make about $50 million at the box office in order to green light the sequel. Their reasoning... they want the movies to fund themselves. So not only was Serenity suppose to break a profit, it was also suppose to make the budget of the next film. So Serenity is considered a success since it did make it's money back (with the box office, cable and DVD sales)... but not enough to warrant a sequel. So... does Sideshow look for the profit of 12" Giles to fund the next Buffy figure? Or is every figure considered to be a separate enterprise... and as long as they pay for themselves, Sideshow will keep making them.

Finally, I think Sideshow is a company that is very loyal to their roots. It was the Universal Monsters, Buffy and Bond figures that put them on the collector's map. I believe that these licenses will never truly die... the rate of figure may increase or decrease on any given year, but I don't think that they will ever completely turn their backs on them. I think a 400 edition of the Roger Moore PF showcases Sideshows loyalty to the collectors who follow one of their signature licenses. There are Bond collectors who are looking to have all of the significnat Bonds to be rendered in this format. Just not 2,000 that bought Connery.

Newer licenses like POTA, Highlander, Twight Zone that sold slow to begin with have no such foot hold in the company.

It's a shame... cause I love dem APES! :monkey2 :monkey2 :monkey2

Back