How many pre-ordered PF Spike & if not, how come?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ordered Exclu Buffy the very moment she was available and ditto Exclu Spike...and I ordered through Sideshow just to make sure my "votes" to support this line were well and duly counted...retailer discounts be damned!

I originally missed out on the Buffy 12" line because, well, I'm lame. I simply wasn't aware of them until this past year. I was taken aback by how much catching up I had to do. Ironically, though, my the lack of investment in the 12" line made it a no-brainer for me to dive into the PF range once it was announced.

Because these PFs are my first statue range to collect, space isn't an issue (...though the siren's call for more lines grows...stronger...each day...). Also, I don't feel compelled to hold resources in reserve to keep up with the 12" line releases since I have decided to not play catch-up pn the Buffy Line (though I am toying with getting the Angel line). That way I can squirrel away my dollars to get my annual/semi-annual Buffy PF release.

So, going forward, SS can count me I'm in for each and every member of the Buffy PF range they offer. I know we can likely expect another Buffy or so but as along as they also do the Scoobies (with an Angel and Tara thrown in for good measure)..well...SS can add me in as another lifelong supporter to their growing ranks (especiialy if they tighten up and kick off a Firefly/Serenity line...any scale will do!).

I have bought, and will continue to buy, every Buffyverse item Sideshow produces. Period. Stop. No negotiations. Meeting adjourned.

Dayna said:
I am getting a coat tailor made once he arrives and when I can spare the cash. The length really does bother me but it doesn't outweigh the brilliance of the sculpt, I'm willing to put in the extra for him to be perfect.
Apart from the sleeves being too short, what first stuck me about the coat is that it's too tailored for Spike. He swam in that thing! It always appeared (to me) to be a size or two too big for him. The length of the coat itself doesn't bother me but, I do think lengthening the sleeves would be a major improvement and make it appear much more accurate.

bffybt.jpg

I put my order in as soon as he went up for pre-order. I also ordered one for a friend (using his account...yes, he does trust me) so thats 2 more to add to the list.

Regarding the sculpt - the 1/6 and PF sculpts are similar, but Oluf had to make some accomodations with the 1/6 to make it conform to the standard 1/6 neck. So the PF looks much better to me. Add the more subdued vamp face change-o-head and you have the best Spike ever made.

I would agree about the coat though - the sleeves are a bit short.

I also have both ordered. I'm a big fan of Premium Format but at this time money is the main factor. Although somehow someway I will get both of these figures when they are released, that doesn't mean they'll be the exclusives. If price is still an issue when the start shipping, I may have to cancel and go with a regular version from a retailer at a lower price. This won't bother me too much with Buffy since I'm not overly in love with the exclusive. It's nice and all but not a deal breaker. Spike may be different. The vampire face is a cool exclusive option but in the end, I can't display both and I'd most likely display the human face.

Last edited:
I didn't order as im not a fan of Spike as a character. So I didn't want to spend money on somthing to do with my most hated character.

I didnt order Buffy due to her hair,I had her ordered but canceled her later.

I have it on order as it is a good sculpt. I showed my wife who is a big Buffy fan and she likes the Vampire face best so I guess we might get the exclusive.

FrankenFan said:
Apart from the sleeves being too short, what first stuck me about the coat is that it's too tailored for Spike. He swam in that thing! It always appeared (to me) to be a size or two too big for him. The length of the coat itself doesn't bother me but, I do think lengthening the sleeves would be a major improvement and make it appear much more accurate.

I agree there. As I said when the prototype was released there are a few things wrong with his costume, including the length of coat and sleeves, the shirt, and the narrowness of the coat sleeves.

compare.jpg

After saying that I am desperately trying to scrap the money togther to get him, as I'm a huge fan of his character and I love the sculpt. I just wish that sometime Sideshow looked a little more carefully at their photographic reference when creating a figure that's all.

Last edited:
Maybe it's the teeny-tiny display area I've been alotted or maybe it's the fact I've chased far too many collectibles in my day, but in recent years, I try to stick to buying "definitive" versions of characters I want in statue form. To me, the crux of being able to call a statue "definitive" is that it has to both be based on iconic reference material and stand out as a great (if not stellar) statue on its own..regardless of any baked-in affection for the character.

If the production verison holds true to the previews we've seen, then this will be the definitive version of Spike. Simple as that. There may be other versions made by other companies but it will be very unlikely that I ever indulge in another Spike statue. I am one and done since I have the Exclu Spike PF on pre-order...the swappable heads will easily fend of any tempation to ever replace him with something "more" definitive.

The Buffy PF, by comparison, I cannot call definitve. I still have it on pre-order becuase it is by far the absolute best version of the character available. I am a true diehard fan and want to support the line so I'm in... but I do hope we see a defninitve Buffy PF one day. It will certainly need to be based on reference material that is more iconic than the relatively-obscure ad campaign photos from Season 1 that we got.

I wish I had a clue as to what SS's master plan for this PF line is/was. It certainly seems like one PF inspired by each season (at least that's what we got so far) and would help explain why we got Buffy (the obvious first choice to begin the line) in a seemingly-random outfit. There certainly wasn't as large a wardrobe budget in S1 and it really isn't until S2 that I get any flashes of "iconic" imagery of Buffy.

Personally, and with the luxury of hindsight, I think the Buffy PF would have better bowled people over had the subject material been at least better known (i.e., more inspiring) to the customer base. That means it would have been taken from a later season...and assuming my guess of one PF per season is even close...that was not an option...dunno...just thinking out loud I guess...

Games&Theory said:
I ordered Exclu Buffy the very moment she was available and ditto Exclu Spike...and I ordered through Sideshow just to make sure my "votes" to support this line were well and duly counted...retailer discounts be damned!

Me, too.

I also agree that the Spike PF will be the definitive Spike statue for years to come. I very much doubt that a superior one will be released any time soon...or ever.

Protozaius said:
If I may be so bold... I have not nor will not order the Spike PF. It's nothing against the piece. I saw at SDCC... it's beautiful! Everybody ordering it will be glad that they did. I also thought the Buffy PF was stunning as well. They will look great display together. Just not in my home. :monkey3 :monkey3 :monkey3

Me, however, I cannot afford such a piece, both in price and in space. I own a few PFs (Hellboy, and the first two Lukes) so I understand the committment they demand. It was heartbreaking to cancel my Star Wars PF pre-orders but something had to give.

Basically I had to make a choice... collect the 12"ers or the PFs. Since I've played with and collected 12"ers ALL MY LIFE (starting with Captain Action back in the day) my heart lies in the 1:6 world. IF I was honest with myself, I just enjoy the poseability of the 12"ers. I just re-positioned and re-clothed my SS Jedi Luke to look like he did when he entered Jabba's lair (he has been in his final Dual with Vader garb ever since I bought him) and he looks totally different... it feels like a whole new figure to me. I like that option. You can't do that with statues... even ones as beautiful as the mix media PFs.

It's a matter of personal choice and economic limitations. I can live with that.

Enjoy your Spike PF. :monkey5 :monkey5 :monkey5

Beautifully said... that's why I think the 12" will always hold/escalate their value more than the PFs ever will.

buffy-collector said:
I didn't order as im not a fan of Spike as a character. So I didn't want to spend money on somthing to do with my most hated character.

WOW! Your most 'hated' character?? How does that work? What is it about Spike that bothers you most? Very curious & bewildered...

UGH! This could be better but then I guess all who ordered him don't necessarily frequent the forums.

So far we have 15 definite homes for Spike:
olvidadero
Darth Rage
Aerosmith
BDboystoys
Oxbeard
adrijami
Dayna
Games& Theory
FrankenFan
Cookie Monster x 2 :clap
Fritz
DarkshadowCollectibles
Billy Budd
Oldschool Jawa :)rock MAN!)

4 Reserved but alas, still undecided:
TOE
FireflyFlanatic
Murderofcrows71
I too know the pain of living on bread and butter but it's worth it IMO :D
BigleagueChu - not into mixed media at the moment hey? Wait until you have Buff in your hot little hands! You'll be hooked!

sueworld did you end up ordering one?

SSC_Nerd said:
Oh, put me on the list too. I'm not absolutely sure, but the chances are I will keep him.

MAKE THAT 16 DEFINITES :D
olvidadero
Darth Rage
Aerosmith
BDboystoys
Oxbeard
adrijami
Dayna
Games&Theory
FrankenFan
Cookie Monster x 2
Fritz
DarkshadowCollectibles
Billy Budd
Oldschool Jawa
SSC_Nerd

lol Nice list:D
But ye I've always wondered about your hatred to Spike Buffy-colector! Could you share? It seems he just one of the most LOVEd characters so to have someone hate him is interesting!

Well you can add me to the 'pre-order list' I caved in and ordered him. God knows how I'll find the money to pay for him though! *wails*

my post states that I will be cancelling my PF Buffy just to get the PF Spike :D

Dayna said:
BigleagueChu - not into mixed media at the moment hey? Wait until you have Buff in your hot little hands! You'll be hooked!

i know it!!! i saw pf buffy at sdcc and loved it. yeah it's mixed media but such a simple black outfit doesn't detract from the "statueness" of it. spike would be great to go with her though, especially with the change-o-head exclusive. i love that.

Back