How many of you will really keep your Biker Scout order ???

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Please everyone keep saying how you'll cancel and buy from a dealer. I'm sure that won't effect how many are available to dealers. Nope, not at all...

:monkey3

Darklord Dave said:
Please everyone keep saying how you'll cancel and buy from a dealer. I'm sure that won't effect how many are available to dealers. Nope, not at all...

:rotfl :rotfl :rotfl

So it turns out they're not so dumb...

Darklord Dave said:

:rotfl :rotfl :rotfl

Darklord Dave said:

The only reason i did is because with CA Tax and the price difference this time it was to much of a difference. All my other orders except one have been direct. I prefer to order direct but this time the price difference was way to much to not go with a retailer. But then again I may have to get it direct since SS is changing the number retailers get.

If the ES is high and cancellations happen, dealers will be offering these when all is said and done at a hefty discount. After Sideshow offers it on Second Chance and can't get rid of it, you'll see it pop up all over the place. It's basically a strategic move: retailers can't sell exclusives so make this an open edition with no exclusive but let us be the main source of preorders...at first. That way there is an escape clause to dump them on dealers later.

I think they are overestimating the popularity of SW if the ES is high after advertising a strictly limited product. I think it was clear with Fett PF that collectors put their wallet before their heart.

Radagaster said:
Now . . .here's a teaser thought: So, what happens if the ES is: 650 or 750? What number will push you over the edge to cancellation? Back in the LOTR days (many of the SW fans may not have been around), a 750 ES for Stone Trolls, OG Balrog and Cave Troll would not make people rush to buy. The ES was announced, but I'm pretty sure there was a lot of in-dealings, cancellations and after market change of hands. Fast forward to today and we know what prices each of those can command.

Now . . .as for this big hunk of plastic, foam and metal item . . .How much stake can the SW community put on it? I can tell you that none of the SW PFs have maintained their value to date. If we use history, regardless of the ES, this bad boy may not be seen as worth $800 in the long run.

Then again, SS has not released any ES of 50 or 100 on anything. If SS was smart, that's the direction I would take to ensure a sense of eliteness(?) among SW collectors.
Personally, I think even an ES of 500 is much to high for this piece @ $800. I'm not even sure I'll keep it if the ES turns out to be 250. I just don't want to pay $800 for an item that has no potential of keeping it's value (let alone become more valuable in the future...), regardless how cool it looks. So I'll cancel if the ES is to high, without regret. On the contrary: I'll be glad to make a wait-lister happy! I have to agree with Radagaster and some others here: the lower the ES, the better. We'll see what happens.

Last edited:
I swear sometimes i think they sell out an item and let people get on the waitlist to bait people into ordering. Ordered mine today but if the edition size is more then 500 I will absolutely be cancelling not because I dont like the piece but because I dont feel like purchasing a mass produced item at a premium price.

Nolocke said:
I swear sometimes i think they sell out an item and let people get on the waitlist to bait people into ordering. Ordered mine today but if the edition size is more then 500 I will absolutely be cancelling not because I dont like the piece but because I dont feel like purchasing a mass produced item at a premium price.
I was thinking this as well. Hope it's not so, but it would make perfect sense. That would explain why an edition size is not announced until later. When Sideshow or any other company determines the possible demand based on orders and reservations/wait lists. It's not necessarily evil......it's business. I know collectors are getting more and more turned off be high edition sizes. I don't want collectibles all to myself, but certain items (and the Biker Scout is a perfect one) should be very,VERY limited and a reward in rarity for those that took a chance on ordering way ahead of time.

Nolocke said:

If you think 1000 is mass produced for a SW item, you may as well turn around and go home now :rotfl

McHaleyArt said:
That would explain why an edition size is not announced until later. When Sideshow or any other company determines the possible demand based on orders and reservations/wait lists. It's not necessarily evil......it's business.

I think the ongoing discussion about the ES has to do with the implication that this was strictly limited. Sideshow should know better than to completely base an ES on the mad rush of preorders. We all know cancellations are a couple of clicks away (Boba Fett PF). They should know that even accounting for the SW factor, collectors will bail out if they can pick up an $800 item cheaper.

Even though we are collectors and we love this stuff it is like you said...it's business.

I'm not picking on anyone but its really funny to see someone say 500 is a mass produced item. 15 years ago if there were only 500 of something people would be pissed that there wern't enough to go around and now its too many. :D

Darth Loki said:
If you think 1000 is mass produced for a SW item, you may as well turn around and go home now :rotfl
Well, as several people have already tried to point out, the threshold for what qualifies as "mass produced" is, in part, dependent on the price. Producing 5000 of a piece of art at $80 might be considered mass producing for that price point. Producing 500 of a piece of art at $800 might also be considered mass producing for that price point.

RoboDad said:
Well, as several people have already tried to point out, the threshold for what qualifies as "mass produced" is, in part, dependent on the price. Producing 5000 of a piece of art at $80 might be considered mass producing for that price point. Producing 500 of a piece of art at $800 might also be considered mass producing for that price point.
Exactly. If this were a $50.00 dollar mini bust 500 would be extremely low, but for an $800.00 item, not so much.

Bannister said:
Exactly. If this were a $50.00 dollar mini bust 500 would be extremely low, but for an $800.00 item, not so much.
Bannister speaks words of wisdom!! :rock

For myself, if the ES is over 350 i'll drop my order and pick it up for less later on.

Back