How many of you will really keep your Biker Scout order ???

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, my flipping ass sucks. I am a horrible, horrible person.
Yes, yes you are.

I think 1000 would qualify as strictly limited and I wouldn't be surprised if it lands about there.

Last edited:
Darklord Dave said:
Yes, yes you are.

I don't think 1000 would qualify as strictly limited and I wouldn't be surprised if it lands about there.
:lol :lol :lol
Whatever Dave, even you couldn't resist my mad flipping skills when you bought those lightsabers from me last year.

*To be fair, Bannister only broke even on the lightsabers, but Dave still made his deal with the devil.

Nolocke said:
Ok thats fine you can do the Y-wing but if i remember that piece took forever to sell out and i remember people selling them on ebay for 200 bucks cheaper then retail so kinda kills your point. If i can find a Biker scout for 200bucks then you better believe i will cancel with Sideshow and go through ebay.

I can't think of a very many high end collectibles ever that didn't follow this pattern. Regardless of what the long term secondary market price does, the overwhelming majority of $100+ items spend some time in a price "dip" a while after they ship. It is an extremely rare case (usually implying an ES that was dramatically too low) when something doesn't at least briefly get clearanced.

If you want to optimize for spending the absolute least on this hobby, you'd be well served by never buying *anything* until it actually ships to retailers. On a rare, rare occasion, you might end up having to pay more than MSRP for an item that way, but you'll more than have made up for it on all the other stuff you got at deep discount.

Whatever Dave, even you couldn't resist my mad flipping skills when you bought those lightsabers from me last year.

*To be fair, Bannister only broke even on the lightsabers, but Dave still made his deal with the devil.
You're welcome - glad to help you get rid of the stuff you over bought and couldn't sell at an insane profit.

:monkey5:monkey3:monkey1

...got any more?

Mister Gosh said:
I can't think of a very many high end collectibles ever that didn't follow this pattern. Regardless of what the long term secondary market price does, the overwhelming majority of $100+ items spend some time in a price "dip" a while after they ship. It is an extremely rare case (usually implying an ES that was dramatically too low) when something doesn't at least briefly get clearanced.

If you want to optimize for spending the absolute least on this hobby, you'd be well served by never buying *anything* until it actually ships to retailers. On a rare, rare occasion, you might end up having to pay more than MSRP for an item that way, but you'll more than have made up for it on all the other stuff you got at deep discount.

I concur. In the case of the speeder - if the ES is set too high the price dip could be as large as a few hundred dollars. Not to mention, shipping on Ebay will probably be less than SSC's Fedex. If the ES is set low - say 500, the value will go up instantly making this a worthwhile purchase wrt money value (see Doom Ex).
If the ES is set correctly say 800, the price dip will be minimal and getting it now will be as good as getting it via ebay on its release.

The Earl of Dunfield said:
I concur. In the case of the speeder - if the ES is set too high the price dip could be as large as a few hundred dollars. Not to mention, shipping on Ebay will probably be less than SSC's Fedex. If the ES is set low - say 500, the value will go up instantly making this a worthwhile purchase wrt money value (see Doom Ex).
If the ES is set correctly say 800, the price dip will be minimal and getting it now will be as good as getting it via ebay on its release.

Now THAT sounds about right.:chew

RoboDad said:
My thoughts exactly, and yet the piece is up for order with an ES of "TBD". It should have been set prior to ordering, and it should have been set very low.

Ditto...SS have been doing this alot latley...it's like they don't want to pre-empt anything...they make as many as what will be needed, with a few left over...They don't want to over estimate...and they don't want to UNDER estimate either..:rolleyes:

A very smart strategy....

Darklord Dave said:
Yes, yes you are.

I think 1000 would qualify as strictly limited and I wouldn't be surprised if it lands about there.

Yeah, but if it IS a 1000, someone can have mine....I know the Predator Maquette was a ES, inc the Ex., of 1000, but at least it came with FREE SHIPPING..

The Earl of Dunfield said:
I agree with all of this except the shipping part. I am willing to bet on something of this size ebay sellers will be charging $50.00-$60.00 to ship. Sideshow only estimated $35.00 for me.

McHaleyArt said:
I was thinking this as well. Hope it's not so, but it would make perfect sense. That would explain why an edition size is not announced until later. When Sideshow or any other company determines the possible demand based on orders and reservations/wait lists. It's not necessarily evil......it's business. I know collectors are getting more and more turned off be high edition sizes. I don't want collectibles all to myself, but certain items (and the Biker Scout is a perfect one) should be very,VERY limited and a reward in rarity for those that took a chance on ordering way ahead of time.

And that is the flaw with SS "Edition size TBD" way of pre-ordering...They do it to see exactly how many may order this piece, therefore ensuring they get the most $$$ themselves....BUT, everyone orders it hoping that the ES will be low...But, all that does is put the ES higher.

It's up to SS to show some balls, and just put a damn quantity on these types of collectables, (escpecially ones so expensive..), BEFORE putting them up for PO....Then at least everyone knows where they stand....

Because if this does end up being 1000 produced, they are gonna, IMO, take YEARS to get rid of, and the people who do purchase them, will probably end up losing money. I know for some people, money isn't everything, and "if you can't afford it, don't buy it"..blah blah. But, still I can see this happening, and no matter how rich you are, no-one likes losing money...:eek:

You guys are really missing a key component here. The fact that dealers only got 1 each will kill any chance of finding this cheaper on the secondary market.

Most reasons regular versions can be found so cheap is because dealers have several hundred that they've gotten for 35-40% cheaper and can afford to sell well below retail. I can assure you all dealers that had 1 for sale, sold it in about 5 seconds. For someone to get this and resell it, they'd have to get it direct from SS. No one in their right mind is going to buy an $800 statue and sell it for $600 (not to mention how much it's going to cost to ship). I'd be amazed if all of the ones that end up on eBay didn't have very high reserves driving the price of these up.

A very similar example would be Jabba's Throne set that was a US exclusive.

Darth Loki said:
You guys are really missing a key component here. The fact that dealers only got 1 each will kill any chance of finding this cheaper on the secondary market.

Most reasons regular versions can be found so cheap is because dealers have several hundred that they've gotten for 35-40% cheaper and can afford to sell well below retail. I can assure you all dealers that had 1 for sale, sold it in about 5 seconds. For someone to get this and resell it, they'd have to get it direct from SS. No one in their right mind is going to buy an $800 statue and sell it for $600 (not to mention how much it's going to cost to ship). I'd be amazed if all of the ones that end up on eBay didn't have very high reserves driving the price of these up.

my thoughts exactly....now if SS comes in later and gives them more that would be BS but if they stick with what we've been told then i can't see this mass discount.

well... it will be interesting to see what happens. :D

..didn't mean offense to those flippers out there! ..but you still suck!:lol

Darth Loki said:

Well this one https://cgi.ebay.com/Star-Wars-Sideshow-Jabba-the-Hutt-Throne-and-Salacious_W0QQitemZ320116577843QQihZ011QQcategoryZ2476QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
went for $50 less + you got the S. Crumb pack, which is another $30.

Of course, SOME are going for about what it's worth, but this is many many months after release.

The reason people will sell it for less is because they planned to flip, but couldn't hold onto it long enough for the market saturation to die down (which can take a hell of a long time with an ES of 1000-1500 for an item as expensive as the speeder).

If a lot of you cancel this when they announce that the ES is 1000 or higher hoping to get if for $600 down the road, you will be in line for some serious disappointment.

Yo Loki!

How do you know they got only one? Especially when the ES has yet to be determined?

I havent been listenin' to the podcasts :eek:

Also, on an unrelated topic - quick question......(Didnt want to start a new thread for a quick yes/no)

Are the SW PF exclusives numbered to match the stautue, numbered at all?

Took!

Back