How many hope they go all out on the 1/6 droids?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the reason is that HT has expressed interest in doing Star Wars stuff, plus they are making Hellboy figures with Sideshow's license, apparently.

Are you going by the interview that was posted on another post? Showing intrest is not the same as securing the license. What toy maker would not like to have the cash cow that is the Star Wars lincense? Some people read way too much into that interview. As far as Hellboy, I dont think HT is using SS license, they might have gotten their own. Just like SS and Medi have the Star Wars license.

I'd just like a properly aticulate C3po, A 1:6 Power droid. Otherwise I'm happy with hasbros, for all their flaws,

Are you going by the interview that was posted on another post? Showing intrest is not the same as securing the license. What toy maker would not like to have the cash cow that is the Star Wars lincense? Some people read way too much into that interview. As far as Hellboy, I dont think HT is using SS license, they might have gotten their own. Just like SS and Medi have the Star Wars license.

Actually, I remember reading somewhere (newsletter, product announcement?) that the HT HellBoy license was on loan from Sideshow, much the same as Sideshow's Star Wars license is on loan from Hasbro, so that statement was accurate.

Hasbro's R2 is actually very nice. Detailing is there and Sideshow would be hard-pressed to improve on the general look. A better paint app, perhaps using metal for the dome, and yes, lights, would take it to the next level, though.

As for articulation, I don't think the 1:1 C-3PO had more than 10 points of articulation to begin with. He wasn't actually jumping around like a Jedi in any of the films. I see 99.9% of collectors posing him simply standing next to R2, one hand on the smaller droid's dome. It's the iconic pose. Who would really want or use 20+ points of articulation on 3PO anyway? Just curious.

Finally, the whole Hot Toys doing Star Wars topic is an interesting one. Who cares what company nuts you're swinging from, the thought that HT could be involved in future projects is certainly an exciting one, be it fact or fancy. Honestly, who cares? It at least makes for some fun what-if posts.

Hasbro's R2 is actually very nice. Detailing is there and Sideshow would be hard-pressed to improve on the general look. A better paint app, perhaps using metal for the dome, and yes, lights, would take it to the next level, though.

As for articulation, I don't think the 1:1 C-3PO had more than 10 points of articulation to begin with. He wasn't actually jumping around like a Jedi in any of the films. I see 99.9% of collectors posing him simply standing next to R2, one hand on the smaller droid's dome. It's the iconic pose. Who would really want or use 20+ points of articulation on 3PO anyway? Just curious.

Finally, the whole Hot Toys doing Star Wars topic is an interesting one. Who cares what company nuts you're swinging from, the thought that HT could be involved in future projects is certainly an exciting one, be it fact or fancy. Honestly, who cares? It at least makes for some fun what-if posts.

Actually, Hasbro's R2, while great in his own right, especially for the price, is about an inch too short and doesn't have any opening panels or his parascope. As for 3PO, it'd be nice to have some elbow articulation, admittedly limited, but still, it'd be nice. Swappable hands with some being able to hold things like his COM would also be nice. It'd also be nice for him to be able to sit down without spreading eagle and definitely more articulation in the head to move it from side to side or have him look down at R2. That's not to say that until they are done, the Hasbro ones don't make good stand-ins.

As for HT, it just gets repetitively old listening to the same old dribble which apparently needs more than one thread because the other ones got buried. "Sideshow should let HotToys make the 1:6 scale droids." Would it be cool? yeah, just about everyone in the other threads agreed too, so why Justin feels the need to create new threads to repeat the same dribble? :huh It would've just been easier and probably more appropriate to necropost in the other thread and bump it.

That said, if HotToys has anything to do with the droids at all, it'll likely be what they did with the armored figs, assisting in the design.

Actually, Hasbro's R2, while great in his own right, especially for the price, is about an inch too short and doesn't have any opening panels or his parascope. As for 3PO, it'd be nice to have some elbow articulation, admittedly limited, but still, it'd be nice. Swappable hands with some being able to hold things like his COM would also be nice. It'd also be nice for him to be able to sit down without spreading eagle and definitely more articulation in the head to move it from side to side or have him look down at R2. That's not to say that until they are done, the Hasbro ones don't make good stand-ins.

As for HT, it just gets repetitively old listening to the same old dribble which apparently needs more than one thread because the other ones got buried. "Sideshow should let HotToys make the 1:6 scale droids." Would it be cool? yeah, just about everyone in the other threads agreed too, so why Justin feels the need to create new threads to repeat the same dribble? :huh It would've just been easier and probably more appropriate to necropost in the other thread and bump it.

That said, if HotToys has anything to do with the droids at all, it'll likely be what they did with the armored figs, assisting in the design.

Good points regarding the opening panels on R2. Some endless posing possibilities there. As for C-3PO, I agree that there definitely should be some articulation but he was one stiff-moving robot and I would expect the articulation on the 1/6th version to be fairly limited as well. I guess the basic joints such as neck, shoulders, elbows, wrists and knees would be expected but still limited in range of movement. The waist in particular, would probably be one of the more flexible parts. I guess it's just I'm so used to seeing him clunking around in the films, that I see too much articulation as detrimental to the figure, if that makes any sense.

As for the Hasbro droids, while I like R2 and have him posed with my SS Bespin Luke, I'm no fan of their 3PO. His out-of-scale-ness is just to obvious. While R2 may be a bit too small, 3PO is too big.

Good points regarding the opening panels on R2. Some endless posing possibilities there. As for C-3PO, I agree that there definitely should be some articulation but he was one stiff-moving robot and I would expect the articulation on the 1/6th version to be fairly limited as well. I guess the basic joints such as neck, shoulders, elbows, wrists and knees would be expected but still limited in range of movement. The waist in particular, would probably be one of the more flexible parts. I guess it's just I'm so used to seeing him clunking around in the films, that I see too much articulation as detrimental to the figure, if that makes any sense.

As for the Hasbro droids, while I like R2 and have him posed with my SS Bespin Luke, I'm no fan of their 3PO. His out-of-scale-ness is just to obvious. While R2 may be a bit too small, 3PO is too big.

Actually, Hasbro made a Special Edition 3PO that came with a book that was more in scale. I'll see if I can find a pic of him somewhere. That's the one that I'm using and he looks fine (scale-wise) with the rest of the Sideshow figs.

I think I have that one! I have the regular release version as well and figured that they were basically the same figure. Would love to see a pic of yours with an SS figure, just to see the scale. I have mine stored in a closet and have no idea where it is in there. :lol

Hey, I found it! I had it with Aurra Sing and the original Anakin figures, which all come in that box style. It's the detachable version.

Ok, I posed him (one legged) next to SS Bespin Luke and the Hasbro R2 and he's taller than Luke. Way too tall and too big, overall. But looks ok for a Hasbro figure. Now I'm really wanting SS to come through with the droids... sigh...

Actually, there is at least one 12" scale R2D2 with opening panels and utility arms by Hasbro.

I think I have that one! I have the regular release version as well and figured that they were basically the same figure. Would love to see a pic of yours with an SS figure, just to see the scale. I have mine stored in a closet and have no idea where it is in there. :lol

Here's my pic of the droids alone:

100_7187.jpg

Not exactly sure it was him, but I think DarthNeil has a great pic of 3PO in his Jabba display. I couldn't find it. Perhaps, if it was him, when he pokes his head in he'll repost it.

Just in case you thought I was BSing about Justin's old threads:
https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44482&highlight=toys+droids
and
https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44025&highlight=toys+droids

And the horrible proof that this isn't the first thread like this but one of hundreds :lol:
https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/search.php?searchid=3073261

^^ That's the R2 I have, have no clue where the utility arms have got to though :( I'm not as organised as FlyAndFight

Cheers,
Doug

ORDERED! Now if Sideshow can just make the little bugger accurately sized, out of a better quality plastic with better paint and all those arms inside, and an equally sculpted, articulated and painted 3PO to match, I would snatch them up faster than I did R2 and could care less about any gimmicky lights or sounds.

^^ That's the R2 I have, have no clue where the utility arms have got to though :( I'm not as organised as FlyAndFight

Cheers,
Doug

:lol I just knew that I would lose all of those utility arms so tossed them in a ziplock! I've got tons of ziplocks filled with 1/6th parts!

TheNam, you can tell how the droids are of different scales. R2 looks too small and/or 3PO looks way too big. I noticed with mine that 3PO is too 'fat' as well. ;)

:lol I just knew that I would lose all of those utility arms so tossed them in a ziplock! I've got tons of ziplocks filled with 1/6th parts!

TheNam, you can tell how the droids are of different scales. R2 looks too small and/or 3PO looks way too big. I noticed with mine that 3PO is too 'fat' as well. ;)

As I've said in most of the other threads, they'll do until we get Sideshow's. Although, it's R2's being smaller that makes 3PO look so far out of scale.

Back