How do you guys afford this hobby

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hell yeah man, you dont need a social life because when you walk into that room full of collection its all worth it my friends.

In all seriousness, this is a relatively expensive hobby. I sill can't believe that there are people here who spend hundreds, even thousands of dollars on a regular monthly basis on plastic figures and synthetic stone statues.

The fact is for many people it is an addiction—and as with any addiction it can be all-consuming and damaging.

I'm fortunate and unfortunate that I'm married and my wifey keeps me on a very short leash when it comes to hoarding these expensive collectibles. Admittedly, if I were single it would be a much different story; I would be afforded a lot more space—physically and figuratively—and I would be spending a lot of money on this stuff. So, I understand the obsession. But saving for kids' college educations and saving for retirement for my wife and me leave me few options for toys even though I make six figures... just barely. So, I have to be extremely selective and my purchases are few and far between. :dunno

Last edited:
For the first time in 8 years im starting to feel it and have cancelled many orders, ive passed on many pre orders (mostly due to price hikes), and ive basically stopped getting PF's unless its a MUST HAVE. Now just focusing on Hot toys. times are tough. :(

I have to cut down to bare minimum now. Very little funds available for collecting so can only get the 'grails'

There isn't much being made that I want.

Same here luckily! :clap
After Iron Man MKII this week and Batman 89 in a couple of weeks i only have 1 PF (Dutch) and Luke DX and Angel Statue left to get and thats me done till end of the year when Mark 1 2.0 comes.
Ah crap forgot about Joker 89, he must be lurking around the corner soon too... :slap

we're both students still but we work on Saturdays in a local supermarket to support both our living expenses and our hobbies :)
somehow, we make it every month :p

Have a low-pay full time job, and I work weekends. Can't afford it. But I'm hanging in there.

I have some expensive hobbies as well. I also invest much money on camera-equipment and computers. Sigh!

My wife keeps me under wraps. Predators and aliens are a strict no-no. I'm strictly limited on display space too, so I can only have a max of 5 PF statues.
That means that I generally don't spend the dosh, but have to move existing things on if I fancy something new.
I am a certifiable nightmare for impulse purchases though. Generally I open them, look at them, then sell them due to the space constraints.. Dipstick that I am

I have made a requisite that no money leaves my bank account for hot toys. Only Paypal money used.

Between selling other cheaper figures and some small character commissions, I manage to get th figures I want. I am not sure he much longer I can keep going though.

I've actually considered making a savings account for this gig. I mean, in the end, it's a lot of money action. Might as well try and include it in my budget. :)

Back