How do you guys afford this hobby

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can't afford this hobby but keep spending money on it anyway.:gah:
If you look after your figures, never display them and never touch them!!
Resell them in a few years and easily double maybe triple your money so it's an investment and better than a bank.

I keep telling myself that each time I buy something new and have a few still in their boxs.
Better advice is to but just buy what you can afford and just be patient and learn to snipe on ebay and you'll get some bargains;)

LOL, I save 40 bucks a week from my job and use that to fund my toys. I try to limit myself to 1 figure a month.

I also work and have no wife and kids, but it does help to save a certain amount each week and have said 'account' to draw from for your purchases. That coupled with 1 figure per month is an easy win for me.

...with great difficulty.

I was meant to be cooling down this year and I am spending more of my hard earned than ever. Scary money.

I sell junk on ebay.

Well, toys that I don't collect--so it's junk to me. :D

yeah me too.

i dont think ss or hot toys care how we get the cabbage to buy this stuff as long as we keep buying and often . sounds eerily like a drug dealer.

I am 26 - have a decent job, but definitely not something I consider a career - My wife is a teacher...so you know she doesn't make any money. I usually end up cancelling most of what I want. There are just too many for a smaller budget - but there are just certain ones I haven't been able to pass up - As long as you are smart if you are on a budget, you can get a couple a year that you really want. That is how I approach the hobby !

I am 26 - have a decent job, but definitely not something I consider a career - My wife is a teacher...so you know she doesn't make any money. I usually end up cancelling most of what I want. There are just too many for a smaller budget - but there are just certain ones I haven't been able to pass up - As long as you are smart if you are on a budget, you can get a couple a year that you really want. That is how I approach the hobby !

Great tip. However, what I do notice with this hobby is the lack of second chances. I might regret passing on a figure. The figure will probably double in price by the time I realize that I actually want it :gah:

When i see stuff like this,

windowparts2.jpg

you bet ya' ass i'm gonna afford it :D

The left one seems to have a crack in it :lol.

:monkey3

two jobs ,
I have a regular office job , but I also clean the office as the "janitor " after hours , still really tight on the money
as I have a wife and three beautifull girls ..
But i get the odd one every now and then

I also sell the odd thing on ebay. I decided to get rid of lots of what I call more 'childish' figures. So things like Marvel and DC stuff.

I'm 32, with a reasonably paid job and an understanding girlfriend and very little vices.

This isn't even my main hobby, I collect movies and like I tell guys b*tching about blu-ray prices, "If you can't stand the heat..."

I sell stuff to buy stuff, it's a never ending cycle of stuff...

Great tip. However, what I do notice with this hobby is the lack of second chances. I might regret passing on a figure. The figure will probably double in price by the time I realize that I actually want it :gah:

Haha yea i know what you mean - i think the only way to avoid that is to have funds to buy everything that comes out that you want - if that were the case, this thread wouldnt exist:) i usually have certain characters in mind that i want - sideshow makes so many awesome items that i have to pass on, but if i go into it knowing im only going to buy a few it helps heal the wounds even though i still shed a tear every now and then :lol

Back