How do you guys afford this hobby

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I run a highly successful Fortune 500 company that recently passed up a military weapons contract to go into alternative energy and peacekeeping solutions. Recently though some _______ destroyed my race car and blew up my Expo so I'm cutting back on my hobby expenses temporarily to fill in a couple of gaps. I did get a medal recently though that I might eBay for a few figures just for ____s and giggles.

Nice, Very Nice Tony; I Mean Mike

I'm a grad student and also work as a researcher in a lab...The pay sucks and in order to afford this hobby, I end up starving most of the time and never enjoy the convenience of a vehicle...

I wish I could go back working at a tattoo parlor... atleast the pay was sweet...

I spend money I should be saving. Unlike some people here I don't make a lot of money at all, but that doesn't stop me

I'm making minimum wage right now. I moved to NYC I make less money then I did in NJ to afford the same things with much higher prices. Fingers crossed that I get this new job at 12 an hour on tuesday.

I have a growing list of things I want that I cannot afford.

If you ran a highly successful Fortune 500 company it wouldn't be a problem to buy these collectibles even if you blew up 10 cars or whatever. There is also such a thing called insurance, so try again buddy.

Somebody needs to rent Ironman 2 :acme

We work, we save, we buy. But we don't buy a lot. ANDDD just wait around for ssc freebies. Those can really beef up your collection. ;)

the secret is that if you do something illegal is to only do it once and big. the biggest mistake people make it to get greedy and keep doing it and they always get caught.:wink1:

I sell my highly evolved sperm to science!

That and I work! Though lately all my Hot toys are gotten via trades and doing comissions for folks.

You gotta keep in mind that (in most cases) the biggest collections in this site probably took a while to put together. It will seem pretty daunting to a newcomer to see himself building a collection like that. What I've learned is that some people take the shortcut and go for immediate bliss - discover the hobby, go crazy on purchases for a couple of weeks, try to fulfill the urge as quickly as possible.

But the best collection in this site are definitely those where you can see some great pieces from years gone by, where the collector's good taste becomes apparent. Those are the kind of collections that show it's not about how much you can afford, but how well informed you are about releases, how passionate you are about your chosen genre, and how smart you are about allocating your limited resources to afford the few pieces that matter most in your hobby.

Ive spent about 5k on figs in the last 3yrs but ive slowed down my spending now cos i have the figs i missed out on initially. I just put aside what i can and buy what i want, the rest goes on bills and savings.

How can you afford this hobby...Well paid job or not,best answer is be prepared and put money aside if you plan on collecting big,Sideshow solves that problem for you though,don't charge you before it ships.I put money aside for more expensive pieces months before it's release.

Let's see . . .

1. I work a full-time job.

2. I work a part-time job.

3. I selectively sell certain 1:1 and 1:6 collectibles I have duplicates of for extra $.

4. I sold my spare kidney and lung.

5. I broker black market involuntary organ donation.

6. My 401k took a hit, but I manage my investments carefully.

7. Not getting married or having any kids to interfere with the hobby.

Back