Hot Toys, you're my only hope... No there is another... UU!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The overall vibe - shape of face/hair/forehead - feels there, but something about his eyes and mouth seems off.

Shape of the face is too round.
Shape of the hair too wide.
Paint app on lips makes them look too small, bottom and top.
Hair line too high.
Brow line is wrong - too low for natural face position (almost a frown).
Eyebrows are the wrong shape and size.
Eyes are the wrong color.
Eye socket wrong shape.
Eyelids lack detail.

This isn't a headsculpt I'd expect on a $300 figure. The coat, seen on the full figure, also looks like it's somewhat poorly painted, though this may have more to do with proto images - is the final the same?

Shape of the face is too round.
Shape of the hair too wide.
Paint app on lips makes them look too small, bottom and top.
Hair line too high.
Brow line is wrong - too low for natural face position (almost a frown).
Eyebrows are the wrong shape and size.
Eyes are the wrong color.
Eye socket wrong shape.
Eyelids lack detail.

This isn't a headsculpt I'd expect on a $300 figure. The coat, seen on the full figure, also looks like it's somewhat poorly painted, though this may have more to do with proto images - is the final the same?
:lol
nitpick all you want...but it's still the first commercially released 1/6th sculpt that actually looks like Ford.
1-97_zps701ee16c.jpg

1-97_zpsdfd1725c.jpg

Last edited:
Those are MUCH better photos that the previous. It definitely looks like him, no doubt about that. But it's got this mask quality to it. Like someone wearing someone else's face. ;)

With regards to Hot Toys, I think they're probably producing SW products as frequently as they can given the situation in terms of licensing and economics. They're working with Sideshow for the licensing. And they're producing a very wide assortment of other licensed non-SW products which, by all accounts, have more traction at the moment. You can see just where they believe the dollars will be spent when you compare the number of Iron Man products to everything else.

With paint, I agree.

Though, Trevor Grove made teh first scultp that actualy looks like ford... it was simply ruined by crappy paint.

AWESOME use of shadows BTW.

The more I look at this, the more I'm convinced that despite its facial faults, the sculpt would be improved tremendously with different hair. In large part it's the hair that makes the face look, as I mentioned before, sort of a like a mask.

I don't think anyone is saying its a perfect sculpt. But it is a very good sculpt. Best commercially released, and leagues ahead of HT's regardless of the big hair.

Totally agree with everything said there! The hair definitely is the weak point of this sculpt it's too round and big. But the hair is off in the same way Luke's face is off and I still love both sculpts. People ***** because of the price. I get it it DOES sting and I completely blame medicom, but it's a damn fine Han Solo available right now whereas in 2015 we will get a HT Han who has a bad track record of Harrison Ford sculpts already and it's going to be from ANH Which I love personally because I loved that look and it's also different than the ROTJ version we got here which can pretty convincingly double as ESB.

hey they all said the same thing about the ht luke bespin they all complained about the hair. sounds like the same thing all over again with han.i like it and I cant wait to mess around with him and swap him over to the body I have ready for him. but to each his own I guess

I think they should be releasing more SW Hot Toys figures, 1 a year is too low, I think the market can easily take more than that. The question is what they actually want to do with it--the types of characters Sideshow has done with the line isn't reasonable, so we don't need as many as that, but there really should be more.

There are still plenty of HT Bespin Luke DX figures available and it's been out for "a long long time." I can see only two figures that might sell as well or better. 1. Darth Vader, 2. Stormtrooper. There's something to be said about Bespin Luke's double figure DX treatment and therefore equally high price tag, but the way HT has been going, any figure they release will be over $180 SRP.

The UU Han Solo looks great but the angry expression isn't my favorite. I am tempted to pick one up though. I would put the Bespin jacket on him though since Empire is my Star Wars movie. I wish Hot Toys decided to go with Empire Han with either a snow outfit or a carbonite block or maybe the torture device they strapped Han in. So many options for them to go with.

The UU Han Solo looks great but the angry expression isn't my favorite. I am tempted to pick one up though. I would put the Bespin jacket on him though since Empire is my Star Wars movie. I wish Hot Toys decided to go with Empire Han with either a snow outfit or a carbonite block or maybe the torture device they strapped Han in. So many options for them to go with.

It's true Han would have so many great DX options,

Think about a Bespin Han DX, it opens the doors a lot more than ANH DX because other than the Stormtrooper belt there's not a lot you could include with ANH Han.

But ESb would be perfect, he could come with the torture device and shackles or a full carbonite version though I do know that sideshow did that already. They could also give him goth gear but I suppose they could have also done that with Luke, but I liked the weather vein alternate as well not sure if I'd prefer that over snow speeder or hoth alternates, all would have been cool.

I agree the angry expression is just weird. When I opened it at first I was like WTF? But thing is, posed properly its pretty much the only decent Ford sculpt out there, as Ray says, of a level of quality that is 2013.

No surprise here and I don't care, ill take what hot toys gives me and when, never expected more but they won't fill in the collection the way they need to by themselves. Sideshows human figures are now officially demoted, they don't cut it anymore. Even the great ones like old Ben. Luke has made them all obsolete.

UU may be third place but that's only because sideshow has the ability to deliver more creatures and armoured figures at a faster rate. Which ill gladly take but truth be told i have most lf what i need now anyway (vader boba stormtrooper) But I'll never buy a human from them again, no matter who repaints it, the humans have to be at Luke's level.

Pretty much agree. If UU does Old Ben, gonna cave on that for sure. Amiami FTW! LOL@SS's UU prices.

Back