1/6 Hot Toys-The Terminator (T1)-MMS 238-T-800-(Battle Damaged Version) 1/6 Scale Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do we really need to get bogged down in semantics? In the 80's the movies I'm talking about were called star vehicles and yes all of those movies absolutely would have qualified. Half of my teen years were spent in the decade of excess. I'm about to hit the big 4-0. In about 8 hours in fact. :)

Happy Birthday!! :clap

I knew you were young in the 80's. That's why you like "Goonies" -- I figured you had to be between 8-12 to have "Goonies" make an impact on you.

Anyway, I still disagree -- those movies that I mentioned were not "tentpole" pictures in their time. "Terminator" was a low budget actioner with an unknown director and a semi-laughable actor, hardly a "star vehicle" and a 5M dollar budget wasn't anybody's tentpole. "Predator" was a studio 'B' movie at best. Then again, so was Die Hard. Nothing wrong with B movies. But 'tentpole' pictures -- that studios were relying on -- they were not. Rambo 2 and 3 were the closest to 'tentpole'. In fact, Rambo and Terminator weren't even made by the studios.

Anyway... I cease. You and I have known each other on this board far too long. Seriously too, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

I'm happy to be getting it and I see a lot depends on lighting and pose, but every face-forward shot I've seen, the neck looks too thin. If that's the case in hand, I'll be sure to not pose it that way.

Happy birthday, bud! Still got four more years to go until...shudder...40.

Well thank you. Appreciate the last few years of your 30's, they go fast. :D

Happy Birthday!! :clap

I knew you were young in the 80's. That's why you like "Goonies" -- I figured you had to be between 8-12 to have "Goonies" make an impact on you.

Anyway, I still disagree -- those movies that I mentioned were not "tentpole" pictures in their time. "Terminator" was a low budget actioner with an unknown director and a semi-laughable actor, hardly a "star vehicle" and a 5M dollar budget wasn't anybody's tentpole. "Predator" was a studio 'B' movie at best. Then again, so was Die Hard. Nothing wrong with B movies. But 'tentpole' pictures -- that studios were relying on -- they were not. Rambo 2 and 3 were the closest to 'tentpole'. In fact, Rambo and Terminator weren't even made by the studios.

Anyway... I cease. You and I have known each other on this board far too long. Seriously too, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

And thank you as well. :)

Regarding our war of semantics, unfortunately only wikipedia appears to want to serve as an online resource:

STAR VEHICLE:In the film industry, a star vehicle is a movie, play, TV series, or other production that enhances an actor's career. 'Vehicles' are most commonly produced when a young or inexperienced actor has signed a long-term contract with a major studio. By showcasing the actor's talents, the vehicle is an attempt at creating a bankable star. In some cases, an actor may produce their own 'star vehicle' as self-promotion.

One of the earliest and best-documented examples is The Wizard of Oz (1939), which MGM centered on then-teenaged Judy Garland. The DVD notes give extensive film and radio examples of the publicity campaign undertaken to promote the movie and hype Garland's singing and acting talents.

With the demise of the studio system, star vehicles are less common in the movie business, although they continue to appear occasionally (e.g. Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman, The Rock's The Scorpion King, or more recently Miley Cyrus' The Last Song). At times, one film can serve as the star vehicle for several actors. They remain common in television, where sitcoms routinely function as vehicles for stand-up comedians. Welcome Back, Kotter, The Cosby Show, Roseanne, Seinfeld, Home Improvement, George Lopez, Everybody Loves Raymond, Everybody Hates Chris, and The Bernie Mac Show are the most notable examples.

More recently, the term has been used to describe a film written or produced for a specific star, regardless of whether the motive is to further their career, or to simply profit from their current popularity.

So yeah, based on that The Terminator definitely qualifies for Arnold. Hell its THE movie that set the stage for the rest of his career.

But based on previous conversations (like our last one re: war movies, ALIENS, etc.) you and I just seem to see movies and their trends quite differently. I guess there's no harm in that. :)

But Goonies? What? Have I ever mentioned that movie once on these boards? :lol I skipped Goonies in theaters in 85 in favor of BTTF and Rocky IV. I read the novelization before watching it on VHS. Thought it was decent but suffered in comparison to all the Spielberg-involved movies that came before it (Indy, Poltergeist, E.T., Gremlins, etc.)

After seeing those pics I can't wait to get mine, should be here Thursday [emoji4][emoji4][emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But Goonies? What? Have I ever mentioned that movie once on these boards? :lol I skipped Goonies in theaters in 85 in favor of BTTF and Rocky IV. I read the novelization before watching it on VHS. Thought it was decent but suffered in comparison to all the Spielberg-involved movies that came before it (Indy, Poltergeist, E.T., Gremlins, etc.)

I could have sworn it was you with the Goonies thing. I must have you confused with someone else. My mistake. I take the Goonies thing back. But I still had your age in the correct approximation. You just have better taste then I thought.

And its not a war.

And in regards to whipping out the wikipedia, my use of the term is in reference the last line of that blurp. I meant having a star-based film. I really don't recall anyone in the industry using the term "star vehicle" to mean 'creating a star over time'. The article even says that interpretation is an old term when studios created stars. Terminator was not a studio picture, Arnold was not a star. Since it became such a hit, it then became a "star vehicle" I suppose -- but no one planned it that way, no one said "Hey kid, do this picture and you'll be a star". You've misread my modern use of the term. Or you quickly googled the term to see if you could call me out. Anyway, it confirms what I said right in the article itself: modern usage is a movie designed for a particular star.

Last edited:
Oh I know its not a "war." I should have put a smiley there or whatever. When I say star vehicle I mean a movie that advances an actor's career. A movie that either puts them on the map, continues momentum they already have, or helps them make a "comeback." I figured there'd be more online references to the term but apparently not. Obviously wikipedia gives a pretty broad definition and you seemed to be pretty big on scrutinizing terminology so I thought it would be good to make mention of. :)

All those movies we've mentioned re: Sly and Arnold certainly fit the bill.

Anyway "action hero" can also apparently mean a number of things to a number of people. I know its a pretty big umbrella that technically can cover everyone from Arnold Schwarzenegger to Eddie Murphy. I think the "purest" form of action hero are the "one man army" types, be they conventional or superhero.

I perceived the 80's as *usually* having big guys like Stallone, Arnold, and Dolph Lundgren portraying the one man armies (in America anyway), and "regular" guys like Murphy, Gibson, Douglas, Willis, etc., usually playing more down to earth cop type characters (Martin Riggs definitely toed the line between both.) And I consider the one man armies to be precursors to our modern cinematic superheroes. Not in behavior or style but in their "larger than life-ness."

A good case in point for me is The Punisher. Look who played him in 1989 vs. who portrayed him in 2004. Or the old vs. new Total Recall. It was only because the suit didn't fit Schwarzenegger's physique that we even got a lean Alex Murphy.

When I say star vehicle I mean a movie that advances an actor's career.

Yep, I figured that out -- and it can be used that way of course. I meant it the other way -- a vehicle (movie) for an established star. Which I still believe many of your movies do not fit that bill. Rambo 2 and 3, yes. But the others were not -- Terminator was not made because of Arnold, nor was it made for him as was pointed out earlier. It was a genre movie made for the budget those type of sci-fi actioners garnered in the day, nothing more. Arnold helped get it made because he did have some value after Conan, but not much.

Now with Harrison Ford you could say that Raiders was a star vehicle -- it certainly made him a bona fide star on his own, even though Star Wars already made him a household name. But Raiders was not made for Ford. It was made for Magnum PI :lol Ford luckily got in. And it became a star vehicle for him after the fact. You see how slippery the term is.

I perceived the 80's as *usually* having big guys like Stallone, Arnold, and Dolph Lundgren portraying the one man armies (in America anyway), and "regular" guys like Murphy, Gibson, Douglas, Willis, etc., usually playing more down to earth cop type characters (Martin Riggs definitely toed the line between both.) .

I agree, but that's what I was getting at to start. Why'd you pick a "war" with me? :)

Thursday ehh? Who'd you order from? I thought I'd gotten in there pretty quick.

Some eBay seller, with EMS, it got posted today so usually here for Thursday, every other order I got from him arrives Thursdays.

ter fav.jpg So far my favorite pose!

22.jpg "I'll be back!!"

Some eBay seller, with EMS, it got posted today so usually here for Thursday, every other order I got from him arrives Thursdays.

Ah. I just let Timcent use whatever is is his default shipping. I think I forgot to make note of exactly how long the DX13 took to get to me, sure would be a handy piece of info to have so as to not unduly get my hopes up about this one.

Back