Hot Toys: The Dark Knight: 1/4 The Joker

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While the headsculpt is not perfect, I do think some of you are overreacting. I think the thing that’s really silly to me is reading a lot of this “He doesn’t look like Heath!1!1” Er’ as the Joker, Heath didn’t look like Heath. Are you looking to own a Heath Ledger figure or his portrayal of the Joker? There is a difference. Personally, I think the headsculpt is really good and I look forward to owning it. Particularly the exclusive headsculpt because it’s really different from past releases.

This makes no sense.

Whilst the makeup obviously changed heaths appearance, aside from the scars it is still heath under there.

Likewise the sculpt should be heath. Then scarred and then painted makeup on top.

If HT (which surely they have been to date) have been just trying to sculpt a joker from the dark knight then they are bound to fail.

As they have done with every HL joker sculpt so far.

Yes perfect example Michael rooker A lot of make up for yondu, yet you can clearly see Michael rooker just like you could clearly see heath ledger. Yet hot toys nailed Michael rooker sculpt ( best hot toys sculpt in my opinion) and for a closed mouth sculpt with that smirk totally captures the character.

In 2008 I was watching the same film you were. I wasn't trying to be a d*#k. My point was, even through makeup, 98% of the time you can still tell who the actor is. I'm not faulting anyone who likes this Joker, and you're right, this is all subjective. IMO hot toys have really knocked some sculpts outta the park, but they have struggled heavily with this guy. To me it definitely looks like a Joker, just not Heath Ledger's Joker.

Neither am I. I'm just merely stating my opinion. It's all good.

I'd say at this stage they've knocked every Joker out of the park apart from Ledger. The Arkham Asylum Joker and DX08 being my two favourites.

Their Ledger sculpts aren't terrible, apart from the first one, but there is always something lacking.

In the previous releases, I definitely agree.

I agree that the hair looks off, mostly colour wise. But this is their best headsculpt IMO. The exclusive looks even better.

This makes no sense.

Whilst the makeup obviously changed heaths appearance, aside from the scars it is still heath under there.

Likewise the sculpt should be heath. Then scarred and then painted makeup on top.

If HT (which surely they have been to date) have been just trying to sculpt a joker from the dark knight then they are bound to fail.

As they have done with every HL joker sculpt so far.

The headsculpt looked like Heath without the makeup. We've seen an image or two without the makeup.
And the figure doesn't look like him with it. Just like he didn't look like himself IRL. And that's the point of disappearing into a role. :dunno

Most people couldn't tell.

Yes perfect example Michael rooker A lot of make up for yondu, yet you can clearly see Michael rooker just like you could clearly see heath ledger. Yet hot toys nailed Michael rooker sculpt ( best hot toys sculpt in my opinion) and for a closed mouth sculpt with that smirk totally captures the character.

Of course you can tell that's Michael Rooker. :lol

The majority of you can probably see Heath anyway because you obsess over how accurate the features are for the figures. I can guarantee that people outside of this forum, Hot Toy, Enterbay, or any highly realistic toy/statue related forum, the general audience will most likely tell you that if they hadn't read that that was Heath Ledger under that makeup, you wouldn't know who it was. I know when I first watched that film back in 2008, I didn't see the man.

But once again, this is just my opinion, I'm not trying to receive a virtual punch from anyone. :lol

That’s not the meaning of disappearing into a role FYI.

But I’m not trying to start anything. I respect you like this and that you think it looks like Heath.

I do not.

C'mon now....overreacting a little bit don't you think?
I think i'm being kind as we haven't seen the production sculpt yet...and with the delay in the figures release..hopefully they've revised it.

But again for me personally that proto sculpt is an embarrassment and one of their worst in any scale...
I don’t think anything could beat hot Toys Angelica sculpt from pirates of the carribean.. that thing was terrible! Or hot toys first joker sculpt was no where near the accuracy haha
True..but it's now 2018 and they should be upping the game...especially in 1/4 scale.
:lecture Worst 1/4 sculpt ever released. HT has their fair share of weak sculpts in the past, no need to be too dramatic.

The proto sculpt is one of their worst in any scale...but again we haven't seen the production piece yet to give a fair assessment...so you never know..

Some say they nailed Michael Rooker with the MMS117 T-800 sculpt :D

I know, I know I keep bringing up Terminator. Just there's a commonality here - Arnie and Ledger, 2 actors that Hot Toys have sculpted a lot of times and never managed to nail.

Some say they nailed Michael Rooker with the MMS117 T-800 sculpt :D

I know, I know I keep bringing up Terminator. Just there's a commonality here - Arnie and Ledger, 2 actors that Hot Toys have sculpted a lot of times and never managed to nail.

I think the DX13 was much closer to Arnie than any of the Joker sculpts have been to Ledger.

I wish HT would try Arnie in 1/4 scale, T1 and T2.

not in the slightest a perfect example :lol :slap Yondu is just Michael Rooker painted blue. Sure, he's got scars, but they're also blue and on the side of his head so they don't have an impact on his faceial features. Not the same as TDK Joker where his scars are on his face and depending on how the make up was applied, changed the look of the character for that scene. I remember my gf at the time couldn't even tell it was HL. Heck, I'm sure I couldn't either. Wasn't until I became a member here and saw how ppl have over analyzed his face to the point to where I'm sure even if the REAL Heath Ledger said "yes this looks exactly like me" ppl here would be like "nope you don't know your own face the way we do, this has zero likeness to you" :lol

not in the slightest a perfect example :lol :slap Yondu is just Michael Rooker painted blue. Sure, he's got scars, but they're also blue and on the side of his head so they don't have an impact on his faceial features. Not the same as TDK Joker where his scars are on his face and depending on how the make up was applied, changed the look of the character for that scene. I remember my gf at the time couldn't even tell it was HL. Heck, I'm sure I couldn't either. Wasn't until I became a member here and saw how ppl have over analyzed his face to the point to where I'm sure even if the REAL Heath Ledger said "yes this looks exactly like me" ppl here would be like "nope you don't know your own face the way we do, this has zero likeness to you" :lol

Maybe that is why he's also been so difficult for HT to sculpt accurately. I do know a few people who belatedly watched TDK without realising it was Ledger under that makeup. The 89 Joker by contrast just looks like Jack Nicholson painted white. :lol

And as you can see, he's a lot happier

jack-nicholson-joker.jpg

I wish I’d never learned that he had a huge purple paint blotch on his neck in that scene. I can’t help but look at it. :lol

Well all the joker make up was some silicon scars and grease paint nothin anything serious ;) where as I’m sure Michael rooker makeup was probably more difficult. You see just blue but I’m sure it was much more then just making a guy look like a smurf.. but to each their own... in the end... this particular section will constantly be back and forth on likeness it will never end haha I just want to see the damn official figure in some bloggers/ collectors hands and see what “our” lighting does to effect the sculpt..

Ledger's makeup changed so much from scene to scene giving him all kinds of looks and i'm pretty sure that was the point. He looks most Heath in interrogation.

That said this sculpt doesn't look like any version of him in makeup.

Ledger's makeup changed so much from scene to scene giving him all kinds of looks and i'm pretty sure that was the point.

IMO it was his expressions that made him look unrecognizable, not so much the make up, granted that obviously played a part.

He looks most Heath in interrogation.

Agreed but you can still tell it's Heath even in the scenes with full make up when he isn't pulling his Joker expressions.

That said this sculpt doesn't look like any version of him in makeup.

And given the rather neutral expression it should look like Heath if the likeness was bang on just less like him with the make up, like Prime's does. So people using I don't think the Mob Make up head looks like Heath but the EX head does really doesn't make much sense, since both are the same sculpt with the same expression. The bottom line is you should be able to tell it's Heath even with full make up, but you can only tell it's Heath on the EX painted sculpt, which indicates a lot of things are off with the likeness on this sculpt.

Last edited:
Well all the joker make up was some silicon scars and grease paint nothin anything serious ;) where as I’m sure Michael rooker makeup was probably more difficult. You see just blue but I’m sure it was much more then just making a guy look like a smurf.. but to each their own... in the end... this particular section will constantly be back and forth on likeness it will never end haha I just want to see the damn official figure in some bloggers/ collectors hands and see what “our” lighting does to effect the sculpt..

haha true but I think we're talking about two different things here. You're talking about complexity of the make up process where I'm talking about the end result which is that, in my opinion, Yondu still looks mostly like blue Rooker (regardless of the process it took to get him there) and TDK Joker isn't so easily identifiable as Ledger when you see him in the make up.

But I agree, I'm ready for some release photos :yess:

Darkavatar said:
Agreed but you can still tell it's Heath even in the scenes with full make up when he isn't pulling his Joker expressions.
Man this boggles me, for ppl to say they could see the pretty boy from A Knight's Tale the moment they saw him in TDK kudos to you ;) :duff

Last edited:
: Man this boggles me, for ppl to say they could see the pretty boy from A Knight's Tale the moment they saw him in TDK kudos to you ;) :duff:

Exactly the point that I’ve tried to make. :exactly: And that was partially the amazing thing about it, IMO. You couldn’t tell the Joker was HL under that makeup as well as with his stellar performance.

I guess the reason why I started this topic was... did you wanna pose HL on your shelf or TDK Joker? Everyone is constantly saying how the figure doesn’t look like Heath. NGL, I wouldn’t want it to. I want it to look like TDK Joker.

cd9462a0a891dd171346df6e813c61f5.jpg

From China hot toys online store.
It says QS010 will postponed to February 2019
Probably for the head sculpt revised.

從我的iPhone使用Tapatalk 發送

cd9462a0a891dd171346df6e813c61f5.jpg

From China hot toys online store.
It says QS010 will postponed to February 2019
Probably for the head sculpt revised.

從我的iPhone使用Tapatalk 發送

If it does mean serious improvements to the figure then that is indeed good news. I have no problem waiting if it means we get a better figure.

Back