Hot Toys: The Dark Knight: 1/4 The Joker

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any chances they'd change up the headsculpt prior to release? It could do with some character injecting into it. Currently I don't think either head looks like ledger's joker(I think if someones brave enough to strip the paint off it would show that is true).

Well both the EX head and normal head are the same sculpt, so it makes sense that if one sculpt doesn't look like Ledger's Joker than the other sculpt wouldn't either.

But it could be brought out a little with a smirk or something. He looks really vacant. I get why hot toys wants to avoid capturing a specific scene because it limits a figure for other poses, I've noticed they do this with a lot of figures lately. But this doesn't capture any scene at all. Its made a facially interesting character seem really...boring...

Agree with you on all points, I think they chose the neutral open mouth look because they thought they would be able to capture the likeness better, since their sculpts will neutral looks often have better likeness than their ones with expressions.

I know prime 1 completely re-jigged their jokers pose (a mistake imo) but i'm wondering if hot toys have any history regarding tweaking headsculps that people weren't happy with. Or is it a case of them potentially fixing it in a future 1/4 joker 2.0 release?

So far the only sculpt I know of that got reworked is the BVS WW sculpt and I would hardly call that a success, nonetheless it is still an improvement. It's possible they would do the same for this sculpt, but I would say that is unlikely. They may change the mouth expression and give it more of a smirk to look more like Ledger's Joker though.

Yeah they improved the QS001 immensely from the prototype.

Not a good example, we are talking about improving a whole new sculpt, the only things that needed improving on the QS001 cowl sculpt were the bug eyes and the mouth pieces, which isn't as hard to do as improving the likeness of an entire sculpt. Granted, improving the mouth pieces and reducing the size of the eyes did improve the likeness of the cowl sculpt though.

Last edited:
I think they go for more neutral sculpts because anytime they try and inject a bit of character with an expressive sculpt people complain. It limits posing, too specific etc. I'm thinking Harley Quinn and Doc Brown as recent examples.

What they should have done here is use the exclusive 2nd sculpt for a laughing head instead of the half and half idea they've gone for.

I'm going to display mine in this modified Detolf, along with the QS001 and QS009. 20180705_191512.jpg

Nice I want to do the bottom of the detolf like that. Are they just the clamps hold the glass I wonder?

They are indeed 3/16" cable clamps. However, the stock glass shelf pieces are a little undersized. You could have the shelf sit directly on the clamps but there's hardly any space for the glass to sit on; I wouldn't be comfortable with that. So I improvised a bit and bought these little cylinder things at the hardware store that can screw onto the end of the clamps (can't remember the actual name for them). Added some padding on top of the cylinders and it's good to go! Here's a closer look:
20180706_122819.jpg20180706_122829.jpg

This tutorial should get you started for the first bit. https://www.tfw2005.com/boards/threads/ikea-detolf-modification-1-adding-additional-shelves.423114/

I'm going to display mine in this modified Detolf, along with the QS001 and QS009. View attachment 416411

This looks nice in pictures but the bottom cube is dead space...unless you have eyes on your shins.

Why spends hundreds of dollars on an awesome figure and then put it precisely where you can't see it? Makes no sense at all. Zero. ZERO.

But that's just one guy's opinion. Maybe consider raising the detolf.

This looks nice in pictures but the bottom cube is dead space...unless you have eyes on your shins.

Why spends hundreds of dollars on an awesome figure and then put it precisely where you can't see it? Makes no sense at all. Zero. ZERO.

But that's just one guy's opinion. Maybe consider raising the detolf.

I agree that the detolfs look awesome raised a little but to say if they're not then the bottom is dead space is a little hyperbolic lol.

I mean I'm 6 foot 9 in the old scale and I have no problem seeing the bottom of the detolfs I'm unable to raise. But it isn't "premium" display space and I wouldn't put my favourite figure there.

I hate detolfs.

Feels like it takes away from the piece you put into it.

I don’t see your collectible. I see a goofy, odd, undersized glass prison.

Buy a display cabinet if you need to have your collection air tight. Put led lighting it.

Better yet, hire a carpenter, a cheap one and he can build you just about whatever you want. Most of us know a carpenter friend or 2 don’t we? Lol.

You’ll find that the build you made or paid for is more fun then the collection.

Speaking of which. I have to finish mine this weekend! [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Detolfs are also only $60 so the appeal is there compared to customs shelving. Often times I see display cabinets that look old fashioned. Detolfs look modern and cheap too. Ideally I would have more bestas and billy bookcases around.
f1d4a6f5106184855d5fc6db390719de.jpg
2d8638b6d2b3e96054d6cf421e004400.jpg

They are indeed 3/16" cable clamps. However, the stock glass shelf pieces are a little undersized. You could have the shelf sit directly on the clamps but there's hardly any space for the glass to sit on; I wouldn't be comfortable with that. So I improvised a bit and bought these little cylinder things at the hardware store that can screw onto the end of the clamps (can't remember the actual name for them). Added some padding on top of the cylinders and it's good to go! Here's a closer look:
View attachment 416492View attachment 416493

This tutorial should get you started for the first bit. https://www.tfw2005.com/boards/threads/ikea-detolf-modification-1-adding-additional-shelves.423114/
Thanks!

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

I agree that the detolfs look awesome raised a little but to say if they're not then the bottom is dead space is a little hyperbolic lol.

I mean I'm 6 foot 9 in the old scale and I have no problem seeing the bottom of the detolfs I'm unable to raise. But it isn't "premium" display space and I wouldn't put my favourite figure there.

People buy Hot Toys because of the fine detail but if the figure is far away then you loose the details. This defeats the purpose of buying highly detailed figures.

If you buy a high end 4K TV and view it from too far out all the fine details are lost. So why spend the money on it?

People buy Hot Toys because of the fine detail but if the figure is far away then you loose the details. This defeats the purpose of buying highly detailed figures.

If you buy a high end 4K TV and view it from too far out all the fine details are lost. So why spend the money on it?

Bit of a forced analogy. I'm lucky enough to have an entire theater room to display my stuff in but in addition to nice cabinets, acrylic display cases and shelving I still have 2 detolfs due to space constraints.

Once you get them lit up they look just fine and are a classy way to display up to 8 hot toys ( I prefer 1 per shelf ). Not everyone has the space as we obviously do or the means to get custom cabinetry.

Last edited:
Bit of a forced analogy. I'm lucky enough to have an entire theater room to display my stuff in but in addition to nice cabinets, acrylic display cases and shelving I still have 2 detolfs due to space constraints.

Once you get them lit up they look just fine and are a classy way to display up to 8 hot toys ( I prefer 1 per shelf ). Not everyone has the space as we obviously do or the means to get custom cabinetry.

This is all besides the point. I have detolfs as well. No one said anything about custom cabinetry. If you raise the detof then the bottom shelf because much more usable.

Detolfs don't look bad raised with 1 or 2 figures per shelf. I'm starting to really dig the 'Dean Knight look' though with just old fashioned shelves.

Back