Hot Toys: The Dark Knight: 1/4 The Joker

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Even though I have the Ex on order, I still have nothing good to say about the head sculpts. Only way I keep this is if I get a custom sculpt for it down the road.

Yay! Finally - well done to you guys who endured the wait (unlike myself)!!

But.... I still don't regret my decision.

Firstly, If I were to receive it now, the very sight of the figure would just piss me off because I would just think of the enormous delay.

and secondly..... I don't think it lives up to expectations....

NO. I'm not being "Jelly"

you-gonna-go-to-jelly-school-mkay.jpg

I think the accessories and the tailoring are fantastic - judging by the pictures. And the exclusive headsculpt is interesting.

BUT - the main headsculpt looks poor. Like really bad. I don't get a hint of Ledger's Joker (except maybe from an extreme Kubrick stare angle), for the price, the delay and the company this seems like a half-arsed effort.

So, no I don't regret my decision - but I really do hope you all love this figure, you deserve it!

Are Toy Anxiety likely to part this figure out? Starting to think I need a way to display both heads but want to avoid buying two whole figures.

I only really need an extra body and clothing set minus the jackets. Getting an interrogation room dio for a Besta to display him with Batman. Now I just need an extra body and under clothes to stick the purple coat on and use the gloved hands and weapons with.

14JokerHTBeforeAfterpromos.jpg

The nose may be different but its still not accurate to Ledger's nose, the biggest improvement I see they have made on this is the jawline, it looks wider, similar to EBs one. The eyes also look bigger as others have said, and although the mouth looks different it still looks like it has that open mouth expression. Not much of an improvement but an improvement nonetheless.

How many of you guys would be interested in a custom head sculpt for this? I've been talking to Rocco Tartamella (he's on FB and has done a lot of customs and professional work for Diamond and others) about it. Hes willing to do a sculpted hair and bald version if people are interested.

I’m happy with it. Here’s the final product from IG. I’m definitely happy I got the EX, I ordered as soon as it went up so so long ago lol. I may snag a second for alternate display which may be a good idea since the market for this one will skyrocket despite criticisms.
0367a4f3875d199bc8649dcdbcc8589f.jpg
91c605c31faf005fe63043780f2f2350.jpg

A definite improvement from the proto...which wasn't hard do...but that hair still looks awful! And i still don't understand the half painted extra sculpt...i'd never display it. They should have gone with a laughing/grinning sculpt..

Or finished the "interrogation" face paint without the big patch of exposed skin.

It's really an awkward, useless design choice from JC Hong & Yulli. You literally can't display him in any accurate way that's accurate to the movie with that head, unless you pose him sideways facing Batman in an interrogation setting or something, where the left side of his face is obscured.

I got the EX since iirc it was roughly the same price as the standard version, so I want to commission a painter to fill in that spot eventually.

Or finished the "interrogation" face paint without the big patch of exposed skin.

It's really an awkward, useless design choice from JC Hong & Yulli. You literally can't display him in any accurate way that's accurate to the movie with that head, unless you pose him sideways facing Batman in an interrogation setting or something, where the left side of his face is obscured.
I guess anyone with basic painting skills could touch up the exposed skin patch to get it to look more movie accurate...

A definite improvement from the proto...which wasn't hard do...but that hair still looks awful! And i still don't understand the half painted extra sculpt...i'd never display it. They should have gone with a laughing/grinning sculpt..

For me, I always thought they did things like that because of license agreements.

Like if another company makes one it will differentiate the two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How many of you guys would be interested in a custom head sculpt for this? I've been talking to Rocco Tartamella (he's on FB and has done a lot of customs and professional work for Diamond and others) about it. Hes willing to do a sculpted hair and bald version if people are interested.

I can assure you people would buy it not just because likeness but there are 3rd party kits for $100 in 1:4 scale that need a better head, same for enterbay.

Shame, was hoping the delay would result in a great likeness but it just isn’t there. Seems like there are certain people Hot Toys has a hard time capturing properly.

I'd be interested in a custom haired sculpt or even having the ex sculpt fully painted and haired(if that's possible) but would have to be somewhat reasonable. If it ends up costing more then the price of the entire figure what's the point.

I'm happy with the figure overall but it is pretty lame the exclusive head is identical to the regular other than the smudged makeup. Hot Toys need to start offering at least two different sculpts with each figure. This regular head represents the early part of the movie, a second new sculpt should have had the full smudged makeup of the interrogation scene and then an exclusive third laughing sculpt.

When you have characters as expressive as Joker and Harley for example, one sculpt(which is usually what we get for sixth scale figures) really doesn't cut it. Same for Shazam, they have to give us different display options.

Shame, was hoping the delay would result in a great likeness but it just isn’t there. Seems like there are certain people Hot Toys has a hard time capturing properly.

Maybe if they could have done a better job if they gave it to a better sculptor, Yulli doesn't have many home run sculpts, except maybe the Mime Joker and BD Terminator.

Well this didn't take long :lol

Custom Ledger Joker heads phase 94 begins forthwith.

I recently stepped into 1:4 with this Bootleg as I had a 1:4 body spare. This kit cost me $90 but plan to get it repainted and haired.
For what Hot Toys is asking I'd expect a better likeness than a $90 bootleg set lol.

57106619_2407207565957371_6683323249809424384_n.jpg
47691187_377274472843218_2882580437168974584_n.jpg

Back