Hot Toys - TF001 - THE TRANSFORMERS G1: Optimus Prime Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whenever I read the word "piece" when referring to a TOY/DOLL really makes me LOL. Never fails.

Most TF fans expect their stuff to transform, unfortunately. I was getting this, but the end product, even though it didn't change that much, really does nothing for me once i saw it. MP-10 os enough as far as as my 11-12 inch TF toys are concerned. And at that ridiculous price? No thanks.

Also, most real TF fans don't mix G1 stuff with the abomination that was Michael Bay's OP. The real OP is not violent, FYI.

Piece. LOL.

Get it through your heads guys and gals, we collect overpriced DOLLS.

And I find it equally amusing when someone refers to collectible pieces as dolls! So thanks for the laugh...

I guess I already own a definitive version of G1 Prime in toy/doll version. This kinda looks like a cosplay costume TBH.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess I already own a definitive version of G1 Prime in toy/doll version. This kinda looks like a cosplay costume TBH.

I just don't get the whole cosplay notion. I've heard it before and still don't like it. If the starscream parts bother people just leave them in the box. Most will probably display without them any way. This is an artist's view of g1 prime. It's a poseable collectible that is meant to be displayed. I've never heard anyone mention cosplay when prime used parts from other bots anywhere else IMO the notion is ridiculous.

I cringe everytime the discussion comes up on what these things are called. You can call it a doll, toy, figure, collectible, piece, heck you can call it a dildo and it doesn't make a difference.

I guess the liberties HT took on the design are really not my cup of tea.

He looks weird.

I cringe everytime the discussion comes up on what these things are called. You can call it a doll, toy, figure, collectible, piece, heck you can call it a dildo and it doesn't make a difference.

Yeah I don't get it either? Seriously what's the point of going into detail about your opinion of what something is called? Who cares what people call their own things!?

Yeah I don't get it either? Seriously what's the point of going into detail about your opinion of what something is called? Who cares what people call their own things!?

Truth, but if you're calling these sex toys, your problems run a lot deeper than the issues discussed in these forums.

Although i agree that the price is a little bit expensive ( but it seems as of late all hot toys are getting that way ) I don't see what the big deal is with the couple complaints that I hear about this figure? The whole "it doesn't transform" thing is silly. This isn't meant to be a toy, it is a display statue piece. Therefore the transforming issue seems irrelevant to me. This isn't an MP10 re-creation.

Then all the nonsense of Optimus Prime never ripped off Starscream's head or destroyed Starscream is also silly! This is a stylized piece not some re-creation of an episode of a cartoon! Personally I don't see a figure that has a G1 look to it having to follow some sort of set of rules that says it has to follow a cartoon! Because a designer who came up with this piece threw in some artistic creativity and deviated from the 80s cartoon source material seems irrelevant as well.

Then hearing people complain that Optimus Prime is not violent and destructive like that and would never destroy Starscream. Guess these people never saw any of the movies when he pulled out swords and split the enemies in 2 or blew the heads off the baddies!

:goodpost:

I'm very happy with mine. I don't use the Starscream parts and changed the HT blaster to the MP-01 blaster, he looks awesome to me as is. HT did a good job with their first TF figure.

i just cracked mine open... been swamped... very impressed with the piece... or doll not to offend others! whatever!:cuckoo:

so i wasn't sure what to expect from the so-so reviews... but seems to me the ho hum reviews are from the transformer guys that have issues with not transforming and that's what i'm guessing is driving their opinions. not sure why other than that because to me, this figure is pretty dam impressive! you can achieve some pretty killer display setups with the very dynamic articulation. and the starscream parts are crazy detailed as much as prime is. and you don't have to display his parts as attached... i think they look pretty badazz displayed with prime holding them like he just opened a can...

the blaster is cool to me too... i like the stylized look of it. i'm also designing an MP styled cannon that will fit his hand and be oversized and look sweet. i'll have them available soon so keep your eyes peeled.

here are a bunch o' pics showing the setups you can get him in.... def impressed with this "doll"

Awesome pics! Keep us posted on when those MP style blasters are available. Hope you can make them look a tiny bit weathered. Although the Mp-01 blaster is scaled nicely with OP, it just looks too plasticky and shiny when OP is holding it.

About the gripes of TF001 not being able to transform, it might just be a licensing agreement with Hasbro. Kinda like that $1k ultimetal prime and Threezero prime, they also don't transform. The HT Prime is like an exquisitely detailed and articulated statue.

Awesome pics! Keep us posted on when those MP style blasters are available. Hope you can make them look a tiny bit weathered. Although the Mp-01 blaster is scaled nicely with OP, it just looks too plasticky and shiny when OP is holding it.

About the gripes of TF001 not being able to transform, it might just be a licensing agreement with Hasbro. Kinda like that $1k ultimetal prime and Threezero prime, they also don't transform. The HT Prime is like an exquisitely detailed and articulated statue.

Thanks!

The design is looking like his standard blaster but I'm oversizing some of it to give it a little more pop. Hope to have the model done today / tomorrow and then run the first prototype print.

i just cracked mine open... been swamped... very impressed with the piece... or doll not to offend others! whatever!:cuckoo:

so i wasn't sure what to expect from the so-so reviews... but seems to me the ho hum reviews are from the transformer guys that have issues with not transforming and that's what i'm guessing is driving their opinions. not sure why other than that because to me, this figure is pretty dam impressive! you can achieve some pretty killer display setups with the very dynamic articulation. and the starscream parts are crazy detailed as much as prime is. and you don't have to display his parts as attached... i think they look pretty badazz displayed with prime holding them like he just opened a can...

the blaster is cool to me too... i like the stylized look of it. i'm also designing an MP styled cannon that will fit his hand and be oversized and look sweet. i'll have them available soon so keep your eyes peeled.

here are a bunch o' pics showing the setups you can get him in.... def impressed with this "doll"

Those are great shots.

But I don't think that the issue is with it not transforming. Most TF fans that use at least a bit of rational thinking understand that Hasbro/Takara will never allow other companies to make a transformable Optimus prime. Ever. Granted, they allow others to make their own interpretations, just as long as it doesn't transform into a truck. But there's some that do, and they are idiots. Crapping on a figure just because it can't transform is moronic.

I believe that the whole reason that this "piece" has not been well received is the whole artistic interpretation HT took while making it. It kind of looks like a human wearing an OP costume to me, and to a lot of others. The aesthetic that Takara introduced with MP10 is the one to beat, and no one has done it yet. To many, MP 10 looks better than this, and the fact that it actually transforms (while not a fair comparison) seals the deal. It just looks better. The waist/Ab articulation on this figure looks unnatural even for a robot. It just looks weird.

I'm not against non-transformable versions of OP, after all I own the Ultimetal Prime that I believe to be the finest G1 Optimus Prime ever made TBH. But this version just looks odd, of course thats my opinion, and many TF fans share the same.

If not a Tf fan, and in need of a Prime collectible, then I guess its ok. Price doesn't help it either, but one has to assume that Hasbro was somehow involved in that hefty price tag. No OP made by another company has ever been cheap. The 1K Ultimetal Prime was mostly trashed by collectors that can't even afford the thing to begin with.

It is a beauty though:

DSC_0057.jpg

This is of course my opinion, and is in no way me trying to trash this toy. it is great for what it is (an artistic interpretation) but i can see where some Tf fans go with their complaints. And of course the idiots that use the "it can't transform" BS over and over.

Again, great pic and congrats on the pick up. As a diehard TF fan, I wish I liked it more.

The figure looks ok, I was interested in it but not any more. Also, the poses make him look kind of fruity [emoji1]

Pictures look great, nice poses and great shots!

Thanks! He actually is very easy to get set up in different poses. The articulation is pretty good with this figure!

Those are great shots.

But I don't think that the issue is with it not transforming. Most TF fans that use at least a bit of rational thinking understand that Hasbro/Takara will never allow other companies to make a transformable Optimus prime. Ever. Granted, they allow others to make their own interpretations, just as long as it doesn't transform into a truck. But there's some that do, and they are idiots. Crapping on a figure just because it can't transform is moronic.

I believe that the whole reason that this "piece" has not been well received is the whole artistic interpretation HT took while making it. It kind of looks like a human wearing an OP costume to me, and to a lot of others. The aesthetic that Takara introduced with MP10 is the one to beat, and no one has done it yet. To many, MP 10 looks better than this, and the fact that it actually transforms (while not a fair comparison) seals the deal. It just looks better. The waist/Ab articulation on this figure looks unnatural even for a robot. It just looks weird.

I'm not against non-transformable versions of OP, after all I own the Ultimetal Prime that I believe to be the finest G1 Optimus Prime ever made TBH. But this version just looks odd, of course thats my opinion, and many TF fans share the same.

If not a Tf fan, and in need of a Prime collectible, then I guess its ok. Price doesn't help it either, but one has to assume that Hasbro was somehow involved in that hefty price tag. No OP made by another company has ever been cheap. The 1K Ultimetal Prime was mostly trashed by collectors that can't even afford the thing to begin with.

This is of course my opinion, and is in no way me trying to trash this toy. it is great for what it is (an artistic interpretation) but i can see where some Tf fans go with their complaints. And of course the idiots that use the "it can't transform" BS over and over.

Again, great pic and congrats on the pick up. As a diehard TF fan, I wish I liked it more.

Thanks! And I was just busting your balls with the doll thing… If that's your take feel free to use it!

I honestly don't understand the cosplay thing? Looks nothing like a cosplay outfit to me. This was one of those figures that definitely is different in your hand versus pics as well. I was originally a little ho-hum about it but after having it in hand I'm very impressed. The price to me is really the only negative drawback to it. But I used points for about $70 so it took the sting out of it for me.

I've had the ultimetal in my hand and honestly they don't look that far apart in hand. I thought about picking one up too... it's just a grand is a nut and tough to swallow, but it does look cool!

While I think this looks pretty good, I think it would have been much better if HT had done this in G1 cartoon colors with some cell shading. That would have been awesome, I could deal with the non-transforming aspect in that situation. Then the only thing that would holding me back would be the price point being way too high. I think $250 would be easier for people to swallow rather than $300+

pro_design, I like your last picture the most. All of the pics are good though.

I have been collecting Transformers since I was a kid in the 80s. The fact that this doesn't transform doesn't bother me. I do like how he looks, but the midsection articulation doesn't look right to me. What keeps me from buying this figure is the price. The only reason I can see for such a steep price is the fact that it doesn't use a standard body form of human or human-like figures. I really think Hot Toys lost some sales based on the asking price alone.

Thanks! He actually is very easy to get set up in different poses. The articulation is pretty good with this figure!

Thanks! And I was just busting your balls with the doll thing… If that's your take feel free to use it!

I honestly don't understand the cosplay thing? Looks nothing like a cosplay outfit to me. This was one of those figures that definitely is different in your hand versus pics as well. I was originally a little ho-hum about it but after having it in hand I'm very impressed. The price to me is really the only negative drawback to it. But I used points for about $70 so it took the sting out of it for me.

I've had the ultimetal in my hand and honestly they don't look that far apart in hand. I thought about picking one up too... it's just a grand is a nut and tough to swallow, but it does look cool!

Great post, it's definitely not cosplay and many fans would agree. I've got an Ultimetal on order. Hopefully it comes in soon, but I wouldn't let that stop me from getting my favorite transformer in hot toys form. We all have different taste, but I still feel like this guy has received too much criticism. I bet if the price was less a lot of that criticism would just disappear.

Thanks guys

Yeah like I said the only real negative is the price. But I've seen a couple sellers on ebay selling the standard version for around $260... Much better price than SS! Worth a look if you are considering picking it up.

The HT Prime has so much more shelf presence than the MP-10. I have mine in the same display, and the MP-10 looks like a cheap kids toy next to the HT Prime to me. The HT is much larger, has paint with weathering, and can pose very dynamically.

To my eye, one looks like a collectible, and one looks like a great kids toy.

Back