HOT TOYS STAR WARS licence?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Am I the only one who thinks this is brilliant?! I love those concepts!

Looks like the Vader/Anakin concept is a whole different item than the pictured Vader doll (with the inner-mask, etc).

Love these... Padme would be another good candidate.

Easy for you to say Andy since Sideshow has a vested interest in Hot Toys from a business perspective. I think the license has been taken too far. We've had so many oddball permutations such as Super-D, Kubrick and Mr. Potato Head that it's getting a little ridiculous. To each his own I guess.

Yes, Sideshow does have a vested interest in Hot Toys, but I don't. :)

My post above was purely from a fans perspective, nothing to do with my Sideshow affiliation. I agree there have been MANY instances where licensing of this property has jumped the shark (I think the same thing about Marvel), but this one I kinda like because it's so orginal. And I dig the idea that each doll-within-a-doll is a different version of the character, instead of just 'smaller versions' of the same dude.

Andy Bergholtz said:
Yes, Sideshow does have a vested interest in Hot Toys, but I don't. :)
Yeah, right, Andy! We all know you have a swimming pool filled with hundred dollar bills brought in by Sideshow. You probably swim around in it when you should be sculpting. :lol

If LucasFilm could find a way to market balls of lint with the Star Wars license, they would.

I think Lucas is trying to stop Simmons to see if he can put the Star Wars name on more pointless items than KISS.

A lot of people hated the potato head SW characters, but they're hugely popular now. Like the VCD, I have no interest in Star Wars Babushka dolls, but I'm sure there will be plenty out there that will buy them.

Andy Bergholtz said:

Now that I've seen these I can conceed that they are indeed brilliant. Just not... my taste. Although... put some candy in them and... No, just too cute for me. My girlfriend, however, would totally dig 'em.

Andy Bergholtz said:

Looks like the Vader/Anakin concept is a whole different item than the pictured Vader doll (with the inner-mask, etc).

Love these... Padme would be another good candidate.

Dude I'm with you. I PREFER off-beat SW stuff. I mean I want my "realistic" stuff too, but I KNOW that it'll be made, but the weird stuff is awesome cause' it's just fun to look at it in a different way. I love these, VCD, Animated Clone Wars, Burger King toys, Kubricks etc. Somuch fun, it brings the kid out in me even more.

I like them, but I can appreciate a unique SW collectible. I mean I collect the Kubircks and Lego, so I think this would be cool next to those. I may pick them up for the right price.

I think all the product that's out there is a testament to the staying power of a franchise that started almost 30 years ago.

Lucas is no fool when it comes to making a buck.

There's making a buck and then there's being a pimp. Lucas has prostituted the license long past the point of respectfulness.

Well, as much as I love SW, I don't put it up on a pedestal when it comes to merchandising. There's been a ton of weird stuff made since 1977. I think it's one of the fun things about being a collector. Just look at Steve Sansweet's collection.

decadentdave said:
There's making a buck and then there's being a pimp. Lucas has prostituted the license long past the point of respectfulness.

I respect the hell out of him. HE'S RICH! By his own cunning. And the movies still have dignity (at least the original) so I mean...who cares? He made an honest buck or 2 or bllion, and like rappers have been telling us for years...pimpin aint easy.:chew

I love Star Wars as much as anyone else, but you gotta admit that the merchandising has gone too far. When I see Darth Vader sprinklers and Chubby's it reinforces the fact that Lucasfilm's ability to "make a buck" has no limits. Lucas could squeeze a chode out of his a$$ and people will buy it. I don't want every item in my possession to have Star Wars stamped on it. That's just taking it a bit too far.

People with money only want one thing, more money.

Those that think otherwise, don't have any.

There's no such thing as "going too far" when it comes to marketing and making money until you've killed some people. That's a little overboard. A little. Anyway, these aren't thatmuch more "weird" or "outrageous" than VCD's, Kubricks and all the other off-beat stuff we mentioned before. Besides, it's not like Lucas thought of this, HotToys did.

AAAAWwwwwwwww... the Wookiee one is ADORABLE!!!!!! I would totally buy that. (and no, I'm not just saying that because Hot Toys is our friend) At first I was like 'Star Wars Chubby' *snert*... but that Wookiee one, gotta have it.
:chew

Hey, Andy - when are you going to invite me over to swim in your hundred-dollar-bill filled swimming pool, huh? ;) And I LOVE your sig!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back