HOT TOYS STAR WARS licence?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Wistful thinking: Hot Toys and Star Wars

Captain Faramir said:
The bodies aren't what's hurting as much as the past few months without any shocking announcements. As for Hot Toys, I forgot the huge prices they charge $$$. Good point dude. Could you imagine how much an armored Vader would COST?!?!? :monkey4

Hot Toys' prices depend greatly on their subject matter. For example, the Aliens Marines go for around $90 each, and include accesories that are much more complicated than the typical Sideshow offering.

Things like Robocop or a Predator or an Alien xenomorph go for around $130, but you can certainly see where the money's been spent (on proprietary body sculpting and tooling).

Frankly, I don't think that Sideshow could bring in an excellent Vader for under $100, and a Chewie would most likely cost a bit more. I'd rather the end result be excellent than have corners cut to fit their current "price point".

(I think it's worth mentioning: I've been really pleased with what Sideshow has done with the line thus far and am the fartherest thing from a Sideshow basher, but all of the figures that they've done that were particularly articulated have been head-sculpt-on-a-clothed-standard-body-with-some-accesories. There's nothing wrong with this, but I have my doubts about whether Sideshow can bring off characters that require a more complex mixture of parts without drastically increasing their prices (which have been on the rise anyway) and spending a lot of money on R & D.)

In my ideal world, I'd like to see a partnership between the two companies, with Sideshow continuing to do the sorts of things they do at the prices they currrently charge, and Hot Toys taking on the weird stuff which I doubt that Sideshow could bring off for significantly less $$$. Each company producing what their strong suit is....

jlcmsu said:
Yeah, SS Body isn't hurting this line. I don't know how many are like me in that they find just about any pose they really want easy to do. The body could be better I agree.

You're probably right that it's not hurting the SALES that significantly, but it's certainly hurting the overall QUALITY OF THE PRODUCT. Is a large portion of the Star Wars collecting community really going to notice? No, because their more Star Wars fans and less toy junkies. There's nothing wrong with this, but I tend to approach what I buy from the quality first, license second standpoint. I undress my figures and compare how well the articulation works. I go to several hours of trouble to make Adolph Hitler shorter than James Bond because Adolph Hitler was shorter than Sean Connery. I'm not the average toy buyer, but then, neither are most of the Freaks.

C'mon, how many companies produce bodies that are significantly better than the Buck now? About 10? MWC's criticisms of the Sideshow body not "hanging well" are pretty dead on (I did not realize how true this was until I switched out a Kroenen to a DiD body; it made a HUGE difference in how well he posed), and the Buck's shortcoming are my only consistent criticism of the figures we've seen so far. When I have the time and the $$$ I'm probably going to replace all my SS bodies with Dragon and bbi, especially once I figure out how to keep the interchangeable Sideshow hands on the improved body (Sideshow still does the best hands in the business).

jlcmsu said:
As far as the price of a SS Vader. I expect it to be around $85-$90. Which would be fine considering I paid more for my Medicom stuff.

I think the overall quality will suffer if they bring it in for that price. No corner cutting on my Vaders, please... I want Medi quality on a true to 1:6 scale.

Last edited:

oh goody another one of these threads.

who wants to take a guess to when things will get pissy in here? :lol

That could work; more than anything I bet HT could make a fantastic Grievous figure--can you imagine them doing him with the same detail as the endoskeleton? That would be incredibly amazing!

Right I'd rather pay more to get everything possible. If SS has to charge a higher cost for Vader, Clones, Stormies, Sandies, Chewie, etc then so be it. Not a problem as far as I'm concerned.

If SS has to raise their prices because of R&D to get the more complex figures then do it. It wouldn't be any different than having HT or whoever doing them now. I'd much rather give my money to SS.

I would like to see Hot Toys' take on the SW license.

Personally, I'm finding it difficult to perform the kinds of natural, nuanced poses with my Sideshow figures that I can get with my Medicom Stormtrooper, so I guess I'm in the camp that is growing very impatient and unsympathetic with regards to both the Buck body and lack of armored SSC figs.

Since I've already decided to pay a premium for the Medicom armored figures instead of waiting around for SSC, it wouldn't be much different to start paying HT prices for other SW figures. I feel as though I'd be getting higher quality for my money.

Captain Faramir said:
That could work; more than anything I bet HT could make a fantastic Grievous figure--can you imagine them doing him with the same detail as the endoskeleton? That would be incredibly amazing!

Yeah this is exactly what I have in mind... I think that Hot Toys would do things Sideshow just wouldn't if they had the license, just like Sideshow makes things that Medicom would not.

The thought of a Hot Toys Grievous makes my toes curl. Or how about a Hot Toys AT-RT?

I'm not wanting this instead of, but in addition to. More product and more choices are always a good thing.

nash said:
oh goody another one of these threads.

I'm pretty sure this sort of discussion can take place civilly if everyone involved avoids ad-hominem attacks and sticks with debating the subject matter. This is, unfortunately, stil the Interweb though, so you're probably right. ;D

Sideshow and Hot Toys can actually do a collaboration. SS got the license and let HT handles what they are good for, especially armored figures. HT can make Vader easily and General Grievous is also piece of cake for HT, seeing they already nail Endo. If both company do collaborate, SS can use HT body as well. I don't think it will change the cost of making a figure that much. Medicom and Bandai has already collaborated, and their project BXM figures are absolutely stunning. I personally would also like to see a possible collaboration between Sideshow and Hot Toys.

So far it's actually been pretty nice here! Good job guys. So far it seems to be pretty chill; let's hope we can all keep our cool and have a nice discussion. :cool:

HT handling the armored/droid characters and SSC doing the Jedi/Sith/aliens would be perfect.

Both Sideshow and Medicom would likely pee their pants if Hot Toys was awarded a license to do 1/6th SW figures, I think... because HT probably has most of the goodwill among diehard 1/6 collectors right now.

Except for likenesses on the sculpts, Hot Toys has been kicking collective butt in this market lately and seems to be the only one of The Big Three that has continually produced jaw-dropping 1/6th items (Endoskeleton, Power Loader, etc).

I like all three (and collect from all three) but in my opinion Hot Toys is the clear leader RIGHT NOW.

That said, this is a futile debate as Lucasfilm would certainly NOT be interested in having a 3rd 12" figure licensee. So keep dreamin'.

I predict the SS SW line will eventually die off unless the body is changed.(just my opinion)

You could argue that Hasblow's 12" line died because of the horrible bodies - but it did last for many, many years.

Darklord Dave said:
You could argue that Hasblow's 12" line died because of the horrible bodies - but it did last for many, many years.
This is true. SW fans/collectors might be the most anal and vocal of all, but they're also the most submissive... they buy anything and everything.

I don't think the body is hurting SS. I think it's announcements like Bubo, Chess table, endor Troops and a Sidious Holo that hurt the line. Sure, there is ANH Leia in there too and I know they will "get to" the heavy hitters sooner or later, but I have dropped he 1/6 line ( other than Jedi/Sith and Jabba stuff ) due to getting tired of what I think are fairly crappy announcements. That and the fact I am more into "higher end" now than i was before.

I'm glad SSC has the license and not HT, simply because at HT prices I wouldn't buy them. Last year I spent about $1000 on SSC products (at least) and I feel I got my moneys worth. However as a parent, I automatically see that as money I could spend on a vacation to Florida, or something cool my kids might like, or even taking my wife out. If HT had the license I would have had to spend $1500-$1800 for the same amount of proucts.
The reality is that SSC has to balance what is right for them and right for the fans.
Star Wars fans, the most hard to please fans in the universe outside of fans of Philadelphia sports teams.
SW fans want it all, right now, but spaced out enough to be affordable. An unlimited supply to insure they get one, but limited enough to retain value. Core characters, but also diversity. No rehashes except when necessary. Take your time with the quality as long as its soon.

Lets look at this from SSC perspective: Small company doing lots of different things and suddenly they own a license that people demand near perfection from. Furthermore sales from said line eclipse everything else they do, effectively doubling their business forcing them to shelve exisitng lines such as POTA, highlander and buffy and customers still aren't happy.
What makes anyone think HT would do any better? The only thing we know for sure is that they would cost more.
Personally I'm happy they made Endor troops, Bubo, chess table and Yavin Luke because I didn't want to spend $2000 on toys this year, but for the folks that do and are happy about that, I'm glad you had the opportunity.

nash said:
Dekadent Dave where are you? :D

I'm sure he'd hate to see his beloved Hot Toys and $tar War$ (as he puts it) in the same sentence. :lol

I love Hot Toys and I love Star Wars, but I think things are going just fine the way they are. Hot Toys is kicking ass with it's 80's properties and SSC is doing a great job with Star Wars IMO.

Darklord Dave said:

No not the bodies,i would say Hasbro's line died just because it's Hasbro.(and not aimed to the serious 1/6 collector)

Anzik Hayes said:
I'm glad SSC has the license and not HT, simply because at HT prices I wouldn't buy them. Last year I spent about $1000 on SSC products (at least) and I feel I got my moneys worth. However as a parent, I automatically see that as money I could spend on a vacation to Florida, or something cool my kids might like, or even taking my wife out. If HT had the license I would have had to spend $1500-$1800 for the same amount of proucts.
The reality is that SSC has to balance what is right for them and right for the fans.
Star Wars fans, the most hard to please fans in the universe outside of fans of Philadelphia sports teams.
SW fans want it all, right now, but spaced out enough to be affordable. An unlimited supply to insure they get one, but limited enough to retain value. Core characters, but also diversity. No rehashes except when necessary. Take your time with the quality as long as its soon.

Lets look at this from SSC perspective: Small company doing lots of different things and suddenly they own a license that people demand near perfection from. Furthermore sales from said line eclipse everything else they do, effectively doubling their business forcing them to shelve exisitng lines such as POTA, highlander and buffy and customers still aren't happy.
What makes anyone think HT would do any better? The only thing we know for sure is that they would cost more.
Personally I'm happy they made Endor troops, Bubo, chess table and Yavin Luke because I didn't want to spend $2000 on toys this year, but for the folks that do and are happy about that, I'm glad you had the opportunity.

Perfectly said IMO.

Hasbros line didn't die, they killed it.

The Captain's guess?

I wonder if the reason for these unusual pieces (chess, Bubo, etc.) and the lack of any real figures, in the LOTR line too, is because they are developing new bodies. Maybe this is a forced hiatus because they just have to get the bodies ready to replace the Art S. Buck bodies, and when it's finally ready, we'll get figures much more regularly, both male and female and of all sizes--tall, medium, short, dwarf, hobbit, etc. Notice how few 1:6 figures we've been getting; these random items might be all Sideshow can give us until the bodies come out, and after that, we'll be back to our regular influx of exceptional figures.

Call it a wild guess, but it seems possible to me.

crap bodies + lame releases= SS at this point to me. I hope it changes, but HT would own them like a prison b*tch if they did SW.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back