Hot Toys Shazam speculation

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am totally with you there. I'm struggling with some autoimmune health conditions that make extended trips out in public pretty difficult. As it stands now, I could certainly go, but I wouldn't enjoy it. Starting some new treatment this week, so maybe (with luck) things will change enough for me to be there opening weekend. (Since that's the only one that really seems to count anymore.) :)

Sorry to hear that – the very best of wishes to you, get well soon

Damn that would be a long way below Captain Marvel. Hope that's not true. :(

Most DC movies won't match Marvel movies in terms of box office. They just need to be smart about it and plan the movie budgets accordingly which it looks like they did. Don't spend hundreds of millions making them. Modest budgets so they don't need to make a billion to turn a profit.

I just hope we get some better figures from this than Mattel's offerings. If Hot Toys isn't going to step up, can I pray for Mafex? :)

I just hope we get some better figures from this than Mattel's offerings. If Hot Toys isn't going to step up, can I pray for Mafex? :)

Mafex will almost certainly do something. I liked their Aquaman prototype, though the face is a bit off. But honestly it's not hard to top Mattel.

717E1qacBjL._SX466_.jpg

Mafex will almost certainly do something. I liked their Aquaman prototype, though the face is a bit off. But honestly it's not hard to top Mattel.

717E1qacBjL._SX466_.jpg

:lol No. I don't imagine they will be hard to top.

:lol No. I don't imagine they will be hard to top.

Maybe...but thanks to the proactivity of Mattel (and the feet dragging of Hot Toys), my five year old is the only one in the house with a Shazam movie figure :/

why would hot toys pass on shazam while anouncing hellboy that will probably make twice less at the box office ?

why would hot toys pass on shazam while anouncing hellboy that will probably make twice less at the box office ?

I think people are just getting antsy, that's all. Truth is Hot Toys could shut down tomorrow forever...life would still go on

Yeah, I know people have some weird preoccupation with this Marvel vs. DC "war," but Shazam was never gonna do bigger numbers than Captain Marvel or Avengers: Endgame , and it was kind of insane to even suggest that.

That said, the tracking is rising. Forbes is predicting at least 50 million now.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/markhu...hzBfkRpDMvZQD18LGkjgoI099gvqRBBA#5e0e2ce82fef

Obviously I never expected it to make endgame type numbers but yeah I did think it would beat Captain Marvel and why not.

It's not so much a preoccupation with DC vs Marvel but when they make billions from characters ripped off from DC(Deadpool, Thanos etc) and Shazam isn't even allowed to use the characters real name it does leave a sour taste.

Obviously I never expected it to make endgame type numbers but yeah I did think it would beat Captain Marvel and why not.

It's not so much a preoccupation with DC vs Marvel but when they make billions from characters ripped off from DC(Deadpool, Thanos etc) and Shazam isn't even allowed to use the characters real name it does leave a sour taste.

That's a matter of personal preference though. "I like DC more than Marvel so this will make more than a Marvel movie" doesn't really have much basis in reality, nor do I quite understand why it needs to be. If I like a movie, I really don't care whether or not it does better than one from a rival studio.

I think people are just getting antsy, that's all.

Yeah. I'm sure something Shazam related is coming eventually. Patience.

I wonder why that is? Since the DC “Shazam!” Captain Marvel was created in 1939 and the Marvel Comics Captain Marvel wasn’t created until 1967. Does anybody know the story behind the name restriction?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wonder why that is? Since the DC “Shazam!” Captain Marvel was created in 1939 and the Marvel Comics Captain Marvel wasn’t created until 1967. Does anybody know the story behind the name restriction?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From Wiki: Fawcett ceased publishing Captain Marvel-related comics in 1953, partly because of a copyright infringement suit from DC Comics, alleging that Captain Marvel was a copy of Superman. In 1972, DC licensed the Marvel Family characters from Fawcett, and returned them to publication. By 1991, DC had acquired all rights to the characters. DC has since integrated Captain Marvel and the Marvel Family into their DC Universe and has attempted to revive the property several times, with mixed success. Due to trademark conflicts over another character named "Captain Marvel" owned by Marvel Comics, DC has branded and marketed the character using the trademark Shazam! since his 1972 reintroduction. This, in turn, led many to assume that "Shazam" was the character's name. DC later officially renamed the character "Shazam" when relaunching its comic book properties in 2011, and his associates became known as the "Shazam Family" the following year. Captain Marvel/Shazam and his family battle an extensive rogues' gallery, primarily archenemies Dr. Sivana and Black Adam.

Still makes no sense to me that it was changed due to copyright issues but Marvel can get away with ripping off DC. They should really be paying royalties to the original creators of their stolen characters.

Still makes no sense to me that it was changed due to copyright issues but Marvel can get away with ripping off DC.

Because that's how copyright works. DC let it lapse and someone else picked it up. It had nothing to do with lawsuits or legal cases.

They haven't announced a new figure since mid February. Antsy doesn't quite cover it.

HT is like crack.

hot toys announced the captain marvel a month before the release date. I was hoping Shazam would get the same treatment... I'm guessing they are probably not making it... or just waiting until last minute?

Back