Hot Toys Scarlet Witch Age of Ultron Hair and Figure tips/tricks

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kdubs24

Freakzoid
Reaction score
902440-scarlet-witch-03.jpg

So this is the figure we kinda expected.....

ew.jpg
And this is the figure we got.......

I love the rooted hair but for many of you hot toys collectors it can be a challenge and sometimes a chore to do upkeep with the figures hair. Even some of you may not even like rooted hair and would rather get the sculpted hair instead........... I'm hoping to make you all change your mind and see why having the rooted look is good and here are some ways to achieve that perfect look

Scarlet.jpg
0913162115a.jpg
0913162115b.jpg
Can you see a difference? Between my photo and what she comes like straight out of the box.
To be fair when you open her up her hair already has some gel like substance in it...but over time it kinda fades. At first i was afraid to touch her hair but now I freely change it up whenever I want.

It will only cost you around $5...and some water from the tap.....
Gel.jpg

I have literally been using this gel since I got my figure back in June of this year...and guess what she has no flakes, no hair damage, and you (could) rinse it out if you wanted. Here's what I do
1. Take the head off of the figure so you don't wet her body
2. Take one finger and wet it with cool tap water and begin to smooth out her hair...apply water liberally until you get the look you desire.
3. Dry finger and take a small small dab of the gel and begin to apply it to her hair (Dab can be as small as the end of a pencil eraser)
4. Apply head back to figure and style as desired...gel holds great and hopefully if you don't take her everywhere you go..her hair wont frizz and it will stay in place.

*Disclaimer: If you do not feel comfortable with doing this to your figure....then don't!!!!!! I love styling hair and I took a gamble and I can tell you from my experience..I've had no issues with hair loss, damage, or damage to the figure itself. This is just me passing on a little info for those of you who may need hair help!!!!!

Sidenote* You can wet her hair for the first time w/o using the gel because she already has that special Hot Toys gel in her hair but you will soon notice a few white speckles in her hair....the more you apply water and let it dry the faster you can get that crap out and put the good stuff in.

0913162117.jpg

*Few extra tips that you may know or not know
1. When changing her hands its better to pick your 4 favorite hands and insert her pegs because hers are a ***** to take out of her actual hand socket. Picking your favorite 4 makes it way easier when you are ready to switch her to a new pose. (I change her hands weekly)
2. Trade her stand holder for someone else's...I hate the wait stand and it does nothing for the figure...I traded her stand holder for Quicksilvers and it looks a lot better and makes her dress flow a bit more and its visually pleasing.Also try using Vision's dynamic stand on her...its insane how great she looks flying!
3. Apply the translucent energy effects however you want and whatever looks better for Scarlet! The instructions she comes with suck and I find myself using the effects in different and more cool ways.
4. You can take off her jacket...but be careful and remove her bracers, hands first before you do and it is easy to put back on as well!!!
5. No bleed out yet on my figure..includes jacket,bracers, and leggings!!!!(Got figure in June 2016)..i think its because I change her poses at least 2x a week because I absolutely love her and think she is the best Hot toy ever!!!!!

Anyway leave a comment if you have any tips for Scarlet Witch and if any of my info helped you at all!!!!!!

Here are a few pictures of the different poses I've done with her and others!

scarlet 2.jpg

20160627_201328.jpg

20160704_203540.jpg
*As you can see no red leather jacket..I made a handmade sash to go around her arms

IMG_20160619_141322.jpg

Thanks for the tip! I PO'ed the Stealth W custom from onesixthkit, will try this depending on how her hair looks

Annnnd this is why I don't buy rooted hair figures. I may be in the minority here, but I really wish Hot Toys would just switch to sculpted hair on their female figures like they've done with Harley and Ripley. Some swap out hair sculpts for action poses would also be much appreciated :wink1:

View attachment 292392

So this is the figure we kinda expected.....

View attachment 292393
And this is the figure we got.......

I love the rooted hair but for many of you hot toys collectors it can be a challenge and sometimes a chore to do upkeep with the figures hair. Even some of you may not even like rooted hair and would rather get the sculpted hair instead........... I'm hoping to make you all change your mind and see why having the rooted look is good and here are some ways to achieve that perfect look

View attachment 292398
View attachment 292399
View attachment 292401
Can you see a difference? Between my photo and what she comes like straight out of the box.
To be fair when you open her up her hair already has some gel like substance in it...but over time it kinda fades. At first i was afraid to touch her hair but now I freely change it up whenever I want.

It will only cost you around $5...and some water from the tap.....
View attachment 292403

I have literally been using this gel since I got my figure back in June of this year...and guess what she has no flakes, no hair damage, and you (could) rinse it out if you wanted. Here's what I do
1. Take the head off of the figure so you don't wet her body
2. Take one finger and wet it with cool tap water and begin to smooth out her hair...apply water liberally until you get the look you desire.
3. Dry finger and take a small small dab of the gel and begin to apply it to her hair (Dab can be as small as the end of a pencil eraser)
4. Apply head back to figure and style as desired...gel holds great and hopefully if you don't take her everywhere you go..her hair wont frizz and it will stay in place.

*Disclaimer: If you do not feel comfortable with doing this to your figure....then don't!!!!!! I love styling hair and I took a gamble and I can tell you from my experience..I've had no issues with hair loss, damage, or damage to the figure itself. This is just me passing on a little info for those of you who may need hair help!!!!!

Sidenote* You can wet her hair for the first time w/o using the gel because she already has that special Hot Toys gel in her hair but you will soon notice a few white speckles in her hair....the more you apply water and let it dry the faster you can get that crap out and put the good stuff in.

View attachment 292404

*Few extra tips that you may know or not know
1. When changing her hands its better to pick your 4 favorite hands and insert her pegs because hers are a ***** to take out of her actual hand socket. Picking your favorite 4 makes it way easier when you are ready to switch her to a new pose. (I change her hands weekly)
2. Trade her stand holder for someone else's...I hate the wait stand and it does nothing for the figure...I traded her stand holder for Quicksilvers and it looks a lot better and makes her dress flow a bit more and its visually pleasing.Also try using Vision's dynamic stand on her...its insane how great she looks flying!
3. Apply the translucent energy effects however you want and whatever looks better for Scarlet! The instructions she comes with suck and I find myself using the effects in different and more cool ways.
4. You can take off her jacket...but be careful and remove her bracers, hands first before you do and it is easy to put back on as well!!!
5. No bleed out yet on my figure..includes jacket,bracers, and leggings!!!!(Got figure in June 2016)..i think its because I change her poses at least 2x a week because I absolutely love her and think she is the best Hot toy ever!!!!!

Anyway leave a comment if you have any tips for Scarlet Witch and if any of my info helped you at all!!!!!!

Here are a few pictures of the different poses I've done with her and others!

View attachment 292405

View attachment 292406

View attachment 292408
*As you can see no red leather jacket..I made a handmade sash to go around her arms

View attachment 292409

Looks good. :clap Yeah...Not crazy about rooted hair. Just too much work. lol Only figure i have that has rooted hair is Avenger BW and thank god that came perfect without me using any gel. lol

Annnnd this is why I don't buy rooted hair figures. I may be in the minority here, but I really wish Hot Toys would just switch to sculpted hair on their female figures like they've done with Harley and Ripley. Some swap out hair sculpts for action poses would also be much appreciated :wink1:

Exactly. That is why I don't have a single Hot Toys female figure. There is no way I will be styling doll hair.

Honestly, I used to be very much for the rooted hair, but then I got Scarlet Witch and honestly it's such a pain. These tips do seem helpful, but I just have the hair inside the jacket and think it looks fine. I'd prefer to have her with hair coming over her shoulders, but it just gets so messy that I don't even bother. I do like the rooted hair on the Winter Soldier Black Widow though, and don't think the hair would have been any better sculpted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I feel like I should add, hair gel wise aim for the cheap stuff without any expensive haircare chemicals in it.

The "vitamins" and proteins and other nutrition nonsense are designed for you know, human hair, and to be washed off. I've got no idea what type of synthetic hair Hot Toys uses (don't yet own any with synthetic hair) but it's unlikely to be a type of plastic that appreciates haircare oils.

Honestly, I used to be very much for the rooted hair, but then I got Scarlet Witch and honestly it's such a pain. These tips do seem helpful, but I just have the hair inside the jacket and think it looks fine. I'd prefer to have her with hair coming over her shoulders, but it just gets so messy that I don't even bother. I do like the rooted hair on the Winter Soldier Black Widow though, and don't think the hair would have been any better sculpted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can see where you are coming from. And yes the rooted hair on scarlet witch is messy but honestly 5 mins is all it takes to get the way you want it. Just use water and you can achieve a great look and if you dont pose your figure all the time like I do you shouldnt have a problem

I feel like I should add, hair gel wise aim for the cheap stuff without any expensive haircare chemicals in it.

The "vitamins" and proteins and other nutrition nonsense are designed for you know, human hair, and to be washed off. I've got no idea what type of synthetic hair Hot Toys uses (don't yet own any with synthetic hair) but it's unlikely to be a type of plastic that appreciates haircare oils.

Yes you want cheap but not super cheap....Treseme has some of the best gel products out there w/o any flakes and like i said in my post I've been doing this since June and no damage to her hair at all or the figure itself

i personally like the rooted hair. but i understand with people who dont feel comfortable styling or trimming. i have trimmed AoU widows hair :) i do not like the mixed hard beard and rooted hair im seeing with the potter line. anyways

i liked her hair like this in the movie. literally just used water and shaped it with my fingers. this was when she 1st came out and the hair has been dried like this since. love this version of the character

5466.jpg5467.jpg5468.jpg5469.jpg

Yeah, I generally don't have any problems with the rooted hair. The worst I've seen out of the box has been AOU Black Widow (looked like a rat's nest), but I would've just washed the glue out and shaped it, no problem. That's what I did for the first Avengers Widow's hair. I've not had any problems either using some water to simply loosen the glue to get a better shape (for curly, this is the method I would use first) or rinsing it out completely (did this for TWS Widow). Never even used any gel or anything like that.

No problems for me.

i personally like the rooted hair. but i understand with people who dont feel comfortable styling or trimming. i have trimmed AoU widows hair :) i do not like the mixed hard beard and rooted hair im seeing with the potter line. anyways

i liked her hair like this in the movie. literally just used water and shaped it with my fingers. this was when she 1st came out and the hair has been dried like this since. love this version of the character

View attachment 292700View attachment 292701View attachment 292702View attachment 292703

LOVE YOUR POSES OF THE FIGURE!!!!!! And yes adding just water can do the trick

contrary to popular belief, your **** doesn't fall off because you touched doll hair.

Hhaha thats awesome..yeah its like its less masculine if a guy has to touch a figures hair...the rooted hair adds so much more variations and realism!!!

This is so so true. -__-

I absolutely hate the rooted hair and have refused to buy the female HT for that reason for a long time. Unfortunately, I just love Wanda too much and wanted her in my collection so I ultimately got her. The hair is ... ugh ... feels awful to the touch, it's really hard to get a good look and I hate how shiny it is. I also never understood why they curled it like that, her hair is pretty straight in the movies. I'd try and style it but I don't wanna accidentally ruin it and end up making it look worse so I leave it alone. :/

This is so so true. -__-

I absolutely hate the rooted hair and have refused to buy the female HT for that reason for a long time. Unfortunately, I just love Wanda too much and wanted her in my collection so I ultimately got her. The hair is ... ugh ... feels awful to the touch, it's really hard to get a good look and I hate how shiny it is. I also never understood why they curled it like that, her hair is pretty straight in the movies. I'd try and style it but I don't wanna accidentally ruin it and end up making it look worse so I leave it alone. :/

If you have a fear of ruining the figure just use water to smooth flyaways!!! as for those awful curls I have no idea why hot toys did her hair like that and not just straight!!! don't let rooted hair dis-sway you from some amazing female figures!

If you have a fear of ruining the figure just use water to smooth flyaways!!! as for those awful curls I have no idea why hot toys did her hair like that and not just straight!!! don't let rooted hair dis-sway you from some amazing female figures!
Flyaways aren't really the problem though. :/ It's the curls and the shiny hair. The latter really makes her look like your next best barbie doll in photos so I would have preferred something different. -__-

Thankfully, Wanda is the only female HT I think I need in my collection, at least from those released, so I'm not really missing out. I'm praying once they do Wasp, they'll give Hope sculpted hair and that Nebula keeps her look from the 1st GotG movie so I don't have to deal with rooted hair for these two. ^^

Do some of these same techniques work for the New Avengers version? I've got that and she's the first rooted hair figure I have that's starting to look kinda...crazy hair wise. Should I just pop off her head and wet the hair till it's straight? Do I need to wring the hair out?(sounds silly but I don't want to mess her up so I'm asking before I try anything). And then pop the head back on when it's completely dry or just not as wet?

Back