Hot Toys ROTJ Emperor Palpatine

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah , nice way to hid the seams.

Sent from the inside of a giant slug in outer space.....

Wish I didn't get the deluxe, oh well!

So what is everyone's consensus here. Is it worth it for the throne? I've been waiting for the deluxe to come into stock but I keep second guessing as I've yet to see a really nice shot of the figure seated. They all seem to be awkward with a few of the better ones looking less so but still not quite right, almost looking like me on the couch on game day. All the standing shots look great, even with minor futzing. I'm thinking of just going ahead and getting the standard.

It's worth steeping the robe in a pan of warm water for a couple of hours to get rid of any excess dye...just be careful of the wires that run through the hood,arms and the bottom hem when rinsing it out afterwards..

Having never done this before on any fig, how do you dry it? Just air dry? If so, how did you hang it to avoid damage?

Wow, fantastic pic SilverStar. He looks creepy as hell there.

Thanks! Yeah, I really like that pose. There’s no doubt to me he’s staying in that one. I already had that pose in mind long before I received him based on the expression of the sculpt, and I think it does indeed fit perfectly.

So what is everyone's consensus here. Is it worth it for the throne? I've been waiting for the deluxe to come into stock but I keep second guessing as I've yet to see a really nice shot of the figure seated. They all seem to be awkward with a few of the better ones looking less so but still not quite right, almost looking like me on the couch on game day. All the standing shots look great, even with minor futzing. I'm thinking of just going ahead and getting the standard.

My throne chair is still in the box. It looked great and I am glad I got it but I just do not have the room. Same (but less so) with Tarkin's chair.

:cuckoo:
m.

giphy.gif

Sent from the inside of a giant slug in outer space.....

Anyone get any word from BBTS yet? I emailed someone a few weeks ago and couldn’t get any concrete info.

Deluxe Palps arrived! There's a lot of detail in the head sculpt and hands my camera just can't pick up. It looks WAY better in person. Especially with the lighting, it really comes to life.

The throne fits awkwardly in the detolf and the way Palps sits in it destroys the illusion. Wish I didn't get the deluxe, oh well!

View attachment 436991

Niiiiiice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It's worth steeping the robe in a pan of warm water for a couple of hours to get rid of any excess dye...just be careful of the wires that run through the hood,arms and the bottom hem when rinsing it out afterwards..

View attachment 436975View attachment 436973View attachment 436974

Interesting, I was expecting more color in the water. BTW did you use any vinegar? Or some kind of soap? Or just plain warm water? And how did you dry the robe afterwards?

Yeah it's pretty minimal...and there was zero excess dye when i steeped the cloak from jedi luke...so i guess it's hit or miss on the different robes and cloaks....
Oh good, I don't have to do that for Luke now.

Anakin and Old Ben I have to do. (yes, all these years my Old Ben has been cloakless).
I'll just throw the contrary out there, I did 7 sequential handwashes with delicate soap and warm water on Luke's robe and it wasn't until the 5th or so where the water wasn't grape soda purple.

Having never done this before on any fig, how do you dry it? Just air dry? If so, how did you hang it to avoid damage?
Bump

I've never done this before either and I have a bunch of figures with cloaks now. Didn't even know this was an issue to be honest.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I got my deluxe and boy is the box huge. I stretched my budget and although the chair is really nice it doesn't make for a great display inside the Detolf. I think I could have skipped and gotten the regular version. Personally, I am big on poses and I prefer the look of Sidious standing instead of seated. I do agree that some of the hands(not all) appear quite large but it is not a deal breaker by any means. I would have loved to get a pair of Royal guards with Sidious seated on his throne, but since I really can't spend that kind of money I am happy with having him standing alone or perhaps with Vader in a future posing setup. Forgive my photos as they aren't a high-end SLR and are just taken with my phone.

Head and Clothing
The head-sculpt is remarkably well done, but the eyes should have been more sith-yellow and not the light hazel brown that they are. Otherwise it still is a great looking figure. The rope is very nice material which matches the movie but the sleeves appear to be slightly restricted and short as it requires extra futzing to cover the wrist ball joints when posing. The undergarments are well done but to be honest, these will almost always be hidden and I couldn't care less if he was wearing underwear under the rope for display purposes. The hood is well done and I appreciate the wire as to allow futzing it into a good weight like draping look. The boots are of a nice suede-like material and have a really good ankle movement.

Accessories
I am pleased with the look and material used for the cane, it really looks like a dark evil obsidian material and fits decently in 2 of the hands provided. The lighting is also a great effect as I have not seen it this well done in any figure before and to top it off the joints are stiff enough that it doesn't droop down when they are attached, of course, time will tell how they hold up but, I likely don't plan on using them in my display. I have wired my throne chair to USB power as with all my figures who have led features and overall I am pleased that Hot Toys finally started using proper batteries for their bigger pieces. The chair itself is a large piece and has a good weight to it.

The LEDs are bright and the added white LEDs above the head area are a great addition IMO. With the figure seated I was able to get the shoes angled toward the ground and it was not a huge issue as part of the clothing covers it anyways. A bit of futzing allows a good look without it looking really bad. The lightsaber is nicely designed although I don't have a Luke in my collection and I may never get one as I am very selective in what I can add to my collection. I am happy with the rectangle stands and hope that Hot Toys continues using these so that the figures match.

48375743_2368729606501697_5440570330953285632_n.jpg48395400_2181337565453894_5639657660149137408_n.jpg48419282_494764734265342_5575813405085794304_n.jpg48423075_536626583414004_8322259693103742976_n.jpg
48370867_1140196439495133_4050442738980618240_n.jpg48935113_344391489708793_6483903279691464704_n.jpg48413429_2134359963545836_5152365050295484416_n.jpg48919673_2060415707312971_4269105575628898304_n.jpg

I picked up my Emperor yesterday (my second HT figure of the year). With no preorders or interests in other figures (due to high prices), I am now “unofficially” done with Hot Toys. I say unofficially because the only figure I “might” have interest in in Count Dooku but I will wait for production piece and then weigh if I want to pay its’ very heavy price tag.

Interesting, I was expecting more color in the water. BTW did you use any vinegar? Or some kind of soap? Or just plain warm water? And how did you dry the robe afterwards?

Bump

I've never done this before either and I have a bunch of figures with cloaks now. Didn't even know this was an issue to be honest.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Once you've rinsed out the robe put it back on the figure and leave it to dry naturally...preferably in a warm room.

I added nothing extra to the water....just boiled up the pan...left it to cool a little and then submerged the robe...stirring every ten minutes or so..

Back